Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ntl or wireless in ranelagh

• 22-10-2004 12:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭

Howdy,
    I have a chinese friend who's in ranelagh and looking to get broadband. He doesn't speak the best english, so I'm trying to find out what his options are. He doesn't have a landline so NTL and wireless are preferred. Anyone know what the suss is in the ranelagh area, have NTL got to it or is wireless an option there.
    ta
    tam
    tammy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

You can get wireless in Ranelagh with IBB. As for NTL, when I called them earlier this week, they said it would be 3-4 months before NTL broadband hits Rathmines/Ranelagh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

neokenzo wrote:
    You can get wireless in Ranelagh with IBB. As for NTL, when I called them earlier this week, they said it would be 3-4 months before NTL broadband hits Rathmines/Ranelagh.
    They've said that for the last few years each time i ring them. Ranelagh appears to be in a worse position BB from ntl wise than other places. Apparently they'd need to replace ALL the coax going to a house to be able to give them BB. I did get an honest customer service person on the phone recently, they said they didn't know but If I'd probably be waiting a lot longer. At least they didn't lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

I know. I have been asking NTL since they came out with broadband. Thats why I'm going with IBB :)

Oh, almost forgot, you can get DSL from whoever etc btw in ranelagh. Wireless should be possible from the RTE mast or the one in merrion square I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭tammy

Right, nice one. So NTL looks dodgy, so wireless is the way forward.
    ta :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Fibonacci

I live in ratmines (beside St. Mary's school) and have IBB Ripwave. The service is okay. Initially, I had big trouble with the service dying every now and then but this has improved recently, and it only infrequently breaks down completely. However, i rarely get the full download speed (512kb/s).

I'm in a similar position, as this is my only option for Broadband (TelCos won't work for various reasons and NTL won't install), and IBB is better than nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I have IBB on Appian Way. It is touch and go whether it works in this area.

It doesn't seem to like my wireless router of late.

I think he keeps interfering with her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 mancman

Fibonacci wrote:
    However, i rarely get the full download speed (512kb/s).

wow!!!!!!!

Welcome to the world that is the internerd!!! you will never get the full 512 speed. All service providers specify their service to be UP TO 512kb/s

gotta love this place for a laugh at times :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

ntl is always full speed for me tbh

carrotcake wrote:
    You obviously don't live in Ranelagh, where ntl has no speed at all.

• Advertisement

carrotcake wrote:

Your on a cable connection...it'll always show you connected at the same speed.

Do a speed-test and you'll find your true speed: speed-test.net

i know what i'm talking about. true speed 750

carrotcake wrote:
    i know what i'm talking about. true speed 750

I beg to differ on that one :D

Maybe I am wrong and you live next door to the box and are the only person in your area on the loop.

What were your results on the speed test coincidently ?

i take it you don't use ntl then? i take my own speed tests using the performance monitor in windows

I guess your on win XP.

The performance monitor reads your connection speed at 750k cos thats the speed of the service that your on and are actually logged on to ntl's network at that speed.

ISDN works in the same manner, connect at 64 or 128 and thats the speed windows reads but when you actually test it externally to windows you will get a true reflection of your actual speed.

I was a beta tester for ntl broadband and have had it for almost 6yrs now.

you should know then that it rarely slows down then! i graph the bps coming in thru my network card, and it averages 750 - it's not a straight line. i doubt the network card knows that the cable modem is capped at 750k

carrotcake wrote:
    you should know then that it rarely slows down then! i graph the bps coming in thru my network card, and it averages 750 - it's not a straight line. i doubt the network card knows that the cable modem is capped at 750k

I agree that my connection with ntl has been outstanding in consistency in the time I have had the service.

The connection your reading is actually you linked to the ntl network, your on a digital line and logged on to the ntl network directly and windows sees this and relfects a 750k speed as it should.

I can do the same speeds and I am reading speeds of 100mb/s through mine as I am hooked up to a network at home and a matter of inches to my router lol

Before I got the router I was always sitting at 1.6mb. My true speed is 1.3mb atm and at times I do exceed the 1.6 limit, ntl is funny like that for some reason and they have no explanation for this.

I am fortunate that when an enginner fitted things all those years back, he actually left the signal tester connected to my line and I still have it. If things ever get bad I can simply hook it up and test the line. Their tech support are often baffled at the readings I can give them lol

use the speed-test link I posted earlier on, gives a great reading and you may well find your actually sitting with roughly 600k at the min which is pretty much standard :D

Btw..not havin a go at you on this thing. ya do sem to know yer stuff and always good to have a wee natter about things from time to time :)

i used the speed test and it said 53.4. at the moment i'm downloading a large file which has evened out at 86, and performance monitor is showing 92. that's whilst using remote desktop and a couple of other things using a little bt of bandwidth. other speed tests give different results, so i presume it's wrong :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Forget about IBB Ripwave if you live in Ranelagh. I am on Ranelagh Rd and it doesn't work and a work colleague up beside belgrave sq where it doesn't work either. I suppose you can give it a go.

BrianD Where abouts on Ranelagh Rd are you? near what shop?

Which direction is your window facing?

Tammy where des you mate live?

Can't wait for them to put a Ripwave station on the Sugar Compaby on Leeson St.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

yep forget about IBB's ripwave, i had it just off ranelagh RD and and the signal was crap and disconnected every 5mins. i sent it back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭tammy

The fella lives on ashfield road. I have no idea what direction his window faces, but he is on the third floor. :cool:

I'd say he has a good chance of getting it there. One of his windows should be facing RTE.

If it doesn't work all he has to do is send it back.

Advertisement