Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A sugestion

Options
  • 22-10-2004 4:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

I have noticed of late that the 4am back up period has increased in duration to as much as 90 minutes.

I would like to offer a suggestion. You have three servers, pie, muppet, and www. Would it not be possible to have these back up at different times in the day as opposed to all three going down at the same time?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

But all three going down at the same time sounds so kinky...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Or just not backup at all... I mean when was the last time you had to restore from a boards backup anyway? ;)

Uh seriously though, isn't it just the database being backed up... and all the servers essentially run off the one database?
    So if the one db has to be taken offline for backup, then it doesn't matter if the other servers are up or down?
    I won't pretend I understand how this database and load-ballancing malarky works... interesting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

From my knowledge of server setup you'd be correct SantaHoe...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

It doesn't work like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

ok ecksor I understand that it is not possible.

I don't mean to critisise I think you are doing a herculean job

• Advertisement

I didn't say it wasn't possible, although I will admit that I haven't worked out how to do it. We can't just rotate servers like that though. We load balance the webservers, but that's all.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

My understanding of the load balancing is:
    4 sessions for Pie, 1 session for muppet. A "session" being a user visit in its entirity...

I could very easily be talking utter bollocks but this sounds like what Regi was saying to me recently. I didnt get past the word "pie".

Its all terribly clever though.

DeV.

Indeed, but the backup ties up the database, not the webservers exactly. The ratio we have now is 10:1 btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Pah, it's simple. Spend a bit of money on some decent backup software, take a snapshot of the database and then backup the offline copy of it. Database is offline for the duration of time it takes to do the snapshot, which in your case should be minutes, once the snapshot is complete it comes back up and the backup runs against the snapshot. And the cool thing is the snapshot can take up very little space, it is a factor of how much the data changes not how big the database is.

Or something.

MrP

What sort of snapshot do you mean exactly? Filesystem snapshots recently became an option with FreeBSD and I think they may be the way to go but I don't know what the time improvement would be. I don't believe that mysql has any sort of useful option and I think they leave it to the filesystem tools to do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement