Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning from abroad - Advice please!

• 22-10-2004 7:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Can anybody help,I am returning to Ireland with my family in December this year and would like to get broadband for my house. It very confusing with all the choices out there can anybody recommend a supplier I have an ordinary eicom line available. Some details and questions below:

Location-Greystones
    Speed required- 512/128
    Requirement - PS2 compatabile

I do not understand Download limits,do they for instance add up when you are listening to net radio,playing PS2 on line,ordinary surfing??

Sorry about all the maybe silly questions but the me & the family have been abroad for 2 years now, if I get it wrong technically my kids will kill me and if it wrong financially the wife will kill me---Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭clearlyn

From abroad returning in December
    Just found a provider online called Irish broadband offering a radio broadband product called ripwave in Greystones offering the following:

Product Ripwave™

Download Speed 512 kbps

Upload Speed 128 kbps

Average Contention 40:1

Download Cap None None

Install (incl. VAT) €99.00

Monthly (incl. VAT) €29.99

It sound to good to be true for €29.99/month--Can anybody tell me the catch!!! If there is no catch Irish broadband availability has changed dramatically in the 2 years I have been gone!

Remaining skeptial

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

I ordered IBB 2 weeks ago and am still waiting to get it (they said it would be around 3 weeks) I just moved to Lucan and I herd that some people had trouble getting a signal (maybe like the old 088 mobile phones) you need to contact either IBB or some one who has it in Lucan and ask them what the signal is like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

I have only heard bad things from friends sofar, they seem to be VERY unreliable in meeting there appointments, and not too friendly when you are calling back to find out what is going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

clearlyn wrote:
    I do not understand Download limits,do they for instance add up when you are listening to net radio,playing PS2 on line,ordinary surfing??
    Yes, everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

clearlyn wrote:
    I am returning to Ireland with my family in December this year and would like to get broadband for my house. It very confusing with all the choices out there can anybody recommend a supplier I have an ordinary eicom line available.

Do you know the phone number of the line yet? If you haven't done so already, go to a DSL provider's website and type it in. There's a depressingly high chance your line won't work anyway. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

If you're going to have a phone line, try and get DSL - it is available in the area, and is more stable than IBB wireless, if the comments around here are anything to go by.

Actually, I've just remembered that the Greystones exchange is one of the few from which you can get EsatBT DSL, which is meant to be good. Of course, you can also get €ircon's RADSL, but get it from one the resellers - UTV, IOL (aka EsatBT), Digiweb, etc. All DSL services are subject to a line test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There's no real catch, that's the terms of the service.

From what I've gathered, there's a hierarchy of services you should go for (if they're available)

1. NTL
    2. IBB
    3. DSL
    4. Other Wireless Operators
    5. Sat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

I would say DSL should be before IBB especially if you need a decent ping rate and download speed...

1. NTL
    2. DSL (not eircon)
    3. IBB (I have Breeze, the line of sight option)
    4. Other Wireless
    5. Sat

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭MackQ

clearlyn wrote:
    Just found a provider online called Irish broadband offering a radio broadband product called ripwave in Greystones ...

...Can anybody tell me the catch!!!

I don't think that the Ripwave product is available in Greystones currently - only Breeze afaik.

MackQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

The two threads have been merged.

• Advertisement

Thanks to all for the helpful comments.

Looking forward to getting on line back in Ireland in December.

Out of interest the cost of 512/128 unlimited broadband connection in Poland (where i am based) is the equivilant of €12 per month,
    we need Polish telcom to enter the Irish market!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

clearlyn wrote:
    Out of interest the cost of 512/128 unlimited broadband connection in Poland (where i am based) is the equivilant of €12 per month,
    we need Polish telcom to enter the Irish market!!!!!
    And what's the average weekly wage in Poland?

yes you are correct the average wage is low at about €400-€500 per month so broadband to the average person is not so affordable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Zoroaster

I'm in Greystones, back from abroad after 28 years a-wandering
    Eircom DSL works fine here, no probs
    My advice is think long and hard about moving back to this country of scams, property developers, crazy prices, Foxrock tractors, and a nudge nudge culture of who you know! When they finish the nice new marina and 400 dwellings at Greystones harbour, you will know what I mean.

Looking forward to getting on line back in Ireland in December.

we need Polish telcom to enter the Irish market!!!!![/QUOTE]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭boo4842

I moved from Dublin to Toronto and pay €29.99 a month for 5Mb/s / 1024

Could uprgrade to 10mb/s for €45 a month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭wrafter

I'm in Barcelona right now, on Telefonica ADSL.

My option is uncapped, and I haven't experienced downtime for the last 18 months. And I ought to know as I'm online about 16 hours a day.

Until last month I was on 256Kb/s - 128Kb/s, but this was upgraded at no additional cost this month, on direction from the Spanish government, and I now get 512 Kb/s - 128 Kb/s - for the princely sum of EUR41.06 a month.

Advertisement