Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Japanese film

• 22-10-2004 8:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

Warm Water Under a Red Bridge. Strange, but funny, and really beautiful. Available to rent on DVD from Laser, Ranelagh, that I know of.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Gohatto.. a bit gay, but still a quality film.

Battle Royale is pretty nifty too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Battle Royale rocks. The second one isn't so hot though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Anything by Miyezaki(sp?) is excellent. Particularily Mononoke-hime and Spirited Away

I am an Anime nerd. In this fact I have no shame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

I used up a gig and a half getting a Spirited Away dual audio torrent. I think anime nerdiness is an understatement.

...not to mention the 6 gigs of Escaflowne...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Don't get me started...

...too late, you've got me started.

Anything by Miyazaki bar Kiki's Delivery Service is absolute fantastic, Princess Mononoke has already been mentioned, as has Spirited Away, but check out Nausicaa Of The Valley Of Wind and Castle In The Sky (Laputa) aswell. Awesome films.

Gohatto is indeed good, but as mentioned before, it's pretty gay. Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence, by the same director, Nagisa Oshima also comes recommended. He's also done In The Realm Of The Senses.

Takeshi Kitano's films are worth checking out also, as the man is possibly one of the finest director's (Not to mention actor and writer) working today. You might've seen Zatoichi already, but other films like Hana-bi, Dolls, Sonatine and Kikujiro are worth seeing.

Akira Kurosawa, his films are a must see. The Seven Samurai, Throne Of Blood, Rashomon, Yojimbo, The Hidden Fortress, Ran... The list goes on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Grave of the fireflies is supposed to be very good as well, never seen it myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 SalmonMoose

ok, not quiet made in nippon, but im to understand all things korean are big in japan at the mo',
    'old boy' watch it, pretty nifty indeed.

Advertisement