Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you think of the new "Battlestar Galactica" series?

• 22-10-2004 9:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭

Ok This isn't CTYI related, but if I know CTYIers (and I do) they will have an opinion on the new series of "Battlestar Galactica". Personally, I really like it, it's got plenty of what made the original good, plus it's darker, edgier, sexier and that Cylon chick is hot!

However, some people will undoubtably feel it's a cheap imatation of the original, that's it's a cash in, that the sets are crap and they're trying to replace good storutelling and character development with sex- to which I say

FINE BY ME! BRING ON THE HOT CYLON CHICK!

so feel free do discuss, debate, disect and denegrate the original series, the new series and each other!

How does the new "Battlestar Galactica" series compare with original 15 votes

It's brilliant. Far better than the original
    0%
    It's okay. Slightly better than the original
    66%
    JustHalfCrashLyconixBazookatoneThe SmircherZuluCinaUser45701MicraBoyGreyfox 10 votes
    It's no better or worse than the original
    20%
    SprostonGreenCorben Dallastest999 3 votes
    I'ts not quite as good as the original
    0%
    It's a disgaceful, shameful, cash-in . The producers should be put against a wall and shot!
    13%
    halengerNarcom 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭pinkpimp

Heres a better poll: How long before this thread gets closed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I haven't watched it but I instantly hate every new series Sky puts out.
    I reckon sky has enough bloody sci fi on it already, at any rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bazookatone

Actually, the SCI Fi channel made it (Don't ask me why they're not screening it) and don't be absurd, you watched Enterprise and SG1, didn't you, those programmes are on Sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Well, I don't have the sci fi channel...
    And SG1 just got painful after a while... and star trek, painful instantly...

Too true, too true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Yeah what is it with sky, and that whole Tarzan thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Haven't been watching it. DSL > TV

I only ever saw the original film...I feel unerdy...

*Rushes off to play D&D and read Warhammer 40k books*

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

It's a disgaceful, shameful, cash-in . The producers should be put against a wall and shot!
    Designed to appeal to men - the hot woman and so forth. Or not even men, nerds. :)

I've not seen the mini-series yet but going by the first episode of the series my one thought was "buh?". Didn't make a whole lotta sense.

I don't get what they're trynig to do. It's retelling the same story but advancing the time by about 20/50 years and all the characters are the same, but different.

It's confusing. I wanna go watch the original again. "By yuor command."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

I like it. Hot cylon chicks etc. Having never seen the original series probably helps, but I never really get all the hatred towards remakes. People instantly assume they're crap, without ever seeing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ll=llannah

Where's the since-when-is-jack-connolly-back-on-boards option?!

• Advertisement

I like it. Hot cylon chicks etc. Having never seen the original series probably helps, but I never really get all the hatred towards remakes. People instantly assume they're crap, without ever seeing it.

I was weary of it when I heard of the character changes and I did give it time, as I will tomorrow and whenever I get the Mini-Series but they've yet to prove to me they can go somewhere meaningful with it.

It's a very unremake remake. :P Watch the two side by side and you'd be a tad confused. In my opinion anyhow.

ll=llannah wrote:
    Where's the since-when-is-jack-connolly-back-on-boards option?!

Guessing since he started college and thus has too much time to waste on too fast an internet connection? :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Watched the mini-series and thought it sucked so much that I haven't bothered with the actual series.

Hannah, Halenger is right. I'm in college, and I've got acces to a blindingly fast internet connection.

The plot of the new series is intended to reflect some aspects of the original. However, it uses the same characters because it's a series charting the same events, it's not set after the original series, it's set at the same time. As a little joke and to reflect that it's a remake of an old series, the ships from the original series are incorporated as though they are from an imgainary past of thirty years previous to the current events.

Frankly, I like the whole thing, it's fairly realistic, I especially like this way all the CGI shots look like they've been filmed with a steadicam, it's been inspired by "24"

Frankly, I like the whole thing, it's fairly realistic, I especially like this way all the CGI shots look like they've been filmed with a steadicam, it's been inspired by "24"

Steadicam? Dunno/care what that is but I've found the camera work dodgy as hell. Very shakey just on dialogue even. Nothing to do with CGI/other.

A Steadicam is a device that a camera can be hooked up to so that an operator can run with it without getting a shakey picure. It's like a big harness thingy with counterweights to dampen out vibrations

The shakey camera is a tool used by the director to give the show a more realistic feel. It's supposed to feel like it is being filmed in real time, like a documentary. I think it works really well. So far it certainly hasn't fallen into the old Star Trek trap, two brilliant first episodes and then:

"Captan, we have a generic looking alien ship off the port bow"

"On screen"

"I am an humanoid alien with two arms and legs, five fingers on each and, and a face that has three noticeable differences to yours, I also happen to speak flawless English. For n particular reason, we have decided to fire a purple energy beam at your ship."

"Captain, if we we polarise the deflector array module, it'll render their purple beam useless, like it does for every space ship, spacial rift, black hole, subspace conduit, globulous cloud of sentient pure energy and planet sized space slug we've ever come across."

"But can it be done?"

"Of course, I'll just take my futuristic looking, space tools and screw around behind this wall panel, here on the bridge, and somehow make drastic modifications to a deicate piece of hardware 18 decks down. It should take just long enough for two anonymous crewmen to be killed in an explosion of showery sparks and for you to ponder some social problem that's a perfect reflection of one they had 400 years ago"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

And, of course, get laid before the end of the show by a member of a different race, also with two arms and legs, five fingers on each hand etc. And is also green

Thank you, that's also true, and also introduce an alien species to the concept of Liberal Democracy.
    "You see, on our planet, we DON'T put people to death for being a different race, it's what we call "Tolerance" "
    "Hmm, interesting"

"Captain, this is a species of space dwelling cannabilistic insects. I don't think they care about a woman's right to choose, they're all the same gender anyway, they wouldn't understand the concept of female, even if they weren't more interested than in eating the Warp Core.

Advertisement