Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What is a 'Map Coolant Switch'?

Options
  • 22-10-2004 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

HI
    Whilst my car was being serviced at the dealers the other day they discovered that it needed a new 'MAP COOLANT SWITCH' - amongst other things - had to wait 3 days for the part to be sent down from Dublin and then when it came it was the wrong one - I have an Auto car and the part was for a manual.
    Anyway my question to confirm what they said to me is :-what is this part actually for? What does it affect? If I dont get it replaced what's the worst that can happen? btw they said the part would cost about 155 euro and take about an hour to fit ...anyone any opinions?
    I have a Golf 1.6 Auto Year 2000
    Thanks
    mobpd

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Might be the switch for the electric fan. This is a device (usually installed in the radiator) which senses coolant temperature and turns the fan on and off. It is an important item because if it's faulty the fan might not come on when its supposed to and the car could overheat when stuck in traffic.

But 155 quid sounds awfully expensive for a fan switch. Does that 155 include fitting.

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mobpd

thanks.
    They did say that I could probably do without until it is next a hot day!
    the 155 euro was deffo just for the part - if it really costs that much then I could try and pick it up from somewhere in the UK as I have found before that parts there are much cheaper than here....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

If you're in Dublin try German Swedish and French car parts in Clondalkin. They also have a website
    http://www.gsfcarparts.com/

The rad switches for the MK4 Golf seem to range between 4 and 10 UKP. It's difficult to know which is the right one for your car though.

It seems very strange that a rad switch is a few quid from GSF and 155 euros from VW. I wonder is it actually the fan switch that is the problem or something else. Maybe VW are not actually quoting for a fan switch at all. It's a bit strange because AFAIK there is no such thing as a "MAP coolant switch" There would be a MAP sensor alright but that's a different thing to a coolant switch.

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

I think by MAP they mean the Manifold Absolute Pressure switch, which is an exhaust part.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Hobart wrote:
    I think by MAP they mean the Manifold Altitude Pressure switch, which is an exhaust part.

Is it not 'Manifold Absolute Pressure' ?

DC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Monkey Attaining Pleasure? Monetary Access Ploy?

Tell them to get snotted and find one in a breakers - this is a common main dealer scam to meet quarterly department targets.

'c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Get back to the service dept and find out exactly which part needs replacing. You could find you spent loads of no good reason or that you are looking to replace the wrong part.

Mike.

Advertisement