Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting into psychology

Options
  • 22-10-2004 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭

im in my final year of economics, but want to get into psychology. does anyone know of a good diploma or whatever, that i could do? i saw there is one in ucd but im notsure whether you need to have done a ba in psychology already.

any help v much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭e38418

STAY AWAY FROM PSYCHOLOGY!!!
    doin it as my elective and hate it,not what i thought it would be at all,not enough people work and 2 much learnin other peoples dragged/far out boring theories.
    just an opinion
    good luck if ya decide ya like it anyhoo :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

it's possible to do a hDip in psychology in UCD without having done the BA there too - pop in to the department and they'll give you the info. combined with your degree, it gives you the same qualification as the BA hons in psychology - same accreditation etc.

other universities like UCC and, I think, NUI Galway also have hDip programmes, but i don't know what they're like. try the individual websites or gradireland.com and you'll find out.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Most universitys here and the open university offer the conversion Diploma,
    How long it take etc depends on how much if any psychology u did in ur primary degree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

im in my final year of economics, but want to get into psychology. does anyone know of a good diploma or whatever, that i could do? i saw there is one in ucd but im notsure whether you need to have done a ba in psychology already.

any help v much appreciated!

http://www.ucd.ie/pgstudy/hsc_t/hsci7.htm#4

2-year higher diploma. You need an honours degree in *something* - so economics for you - and also work experience. Once you've done the diploma, it's considered the equivalent as a psychology degree for going on to do further research/work in the field of psychology, and further research is probably a good option if you're really interested in psychology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

thanks a lot guys...what does work experience mean - i mean presumably its in the field of psychology....how do you go about getting such experience, even unpaid or whatever?

• Advertisement
Advertisement