Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tips on how to avoid the Trick-or-Treaters this Holloween

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Put up a sign which reads:

"This house is guarded by a shotgun 3 nights a week, want to guess which 3?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Easy trick. Get a trick or treat bucket. Leave it outside the door with a sign saying "Please take one or two and leave some for others". Make sure not to put any sweets in it.

Or you could get some of these printed out and put them in their bags. Guaranteed to get rid of them the following year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Miss Mann

Just give 'em some sweets, ya tight b!tch.

No-one likes a Scrooge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Miss Mann wrote:
    Just give 'em some sweets, ya tight b!tch.

No-one likes a Scrooge.

NEVER!

it's a matter of principle! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I can understand people not wanting to be part of the Halloween spirit, but for the majority of us, Halloween used to be a magical time (well more loud than magical) and you probably all enjoyed going for house to house getting free food. Todays generation are much the same, except their armed with eggs and fireworks that fit in your letterbox!

I cant believe that everyone on here is so against trick or treaters when you all most likely took part in it yourself when you were all young!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Hobbes wrote:
    Easy trick. Get a trick or treat bucket. Leave it outside the door with a sign saying "Please take one or two and leave some for others". Make sure not to put any sweets in it.

Or you could get some of these printed out and put them in their bags. Guaranteed to get rid of them the following year.
    Excellent. Jesus loves you Hobbes.

I cant believe that everyone on here is so against trick or treaters when you all most likely took part in it yourself when you were all young!

Just kidding.. actually we have a whole draw full of sweets.. the good stuff too. The kids enjoy themselves when they show up.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

One could invite the local parish priest around and have him stand behind your front door with his cock hanging out through the letterbox. Almost always works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

this Sunday i plan on sitting in watching tv at a fairly loud level with some cans. no hungry children will upset my evening

alternatively, let someone else answer the door

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭climaxer

I can understand people not wanting to be part of the Halloween spirit, but for the majority of us, Halloween used to be a magical time (well more loud than magical) and you probably all enjoyed going for house to house getting free food. Todays generation are much the same, except their armed with eggs and fireworks that fit in your letterbox!

Hear Hear get in the spirit of it.

I don't have to worry about people calling to my house as I will be going around myself! Last year I made €15 and got a bag full of goodies ;)

If you really want to avoid kids calling best thing is to head out to the pub for a few pints...or the Michael Jackson and milk and cookies idea.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

BEAT wrote:
    it is a basic rule here: if your light is on you are handing out candy, if it is off you are not.

Funny, they have the same rule in Amsterdam.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Gordon wrote:
    No, Mordeth was right originally, just dress up in a white dish dash and hold a Quran in your hand while answering the door and people will think you're muslim and run off.

Or a bible and a soutane.

climaxer wrote:
    Last year I made €15 and got a bag full of goodies ;)
    You made money?!!! Are people expected to give out money now? How much on average would you get per door?
    And how old are you? I thought there was an age limit to this sort of thing.

PH01 wrote:
    Excellent. Jesus loves you Hobbes.

Chick is comical. Heres another..

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0094/0094_01.asp

Clearly the lesson here is don't send your kids to school, and when the government finally comes for you Jesus will strip you naked and take you to heaven to party.

PH01 wrote:
    You made money?!!! Are people expected to give out money now? How much on average would you get per door?

Only jokin I'm 29 but my daughter is 11 and last year she made near enough to €15 - a lot of neighbours would give money in my area because they'd know us. I come from a big extended family and a lot of the adults would give a money to the kids in the family. I would give a €1 or €2 to my cousins when they call too. Maybe we're being too generous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

1. Give away something other than candy. (Toothpicks, golf balls, bags of sand, etc.)

2. Wait behind the door until some people come. When they get near the door, jump out, wearing a costume, and holding a bag, and yell, "Trick or Treat!" Look at them, scratch your head, and act confused.

3. Fill a briefcase with marbles and crackers. Write on it, "Top Secret" in big letters. When trick-or-treaters come, look around suspiciously, say, "It's about time you got here," give them the briefcase, and quickly shut the door.

4. Get about 30 people to wait in your living room. When trick-or-treaters come to the door, say, "Come in." When they do, have everyone yell, "Surprise!" Act like it's a surprise party.

5. Get everyone who comes to the door to come in and see if they can figure out what's wrong with your dishwasher. Insist that it makes an unnatural "whirring" sound.

6. After you give them candy, hand the trick-or-treaters a bill.

7. Open the door dressed as a giant fish. Immediately collapse, and don't move or say anything until the trick-or-treaters go away.

8. When you answer the door, hold up one candy bar, throw it out into the street, and yell, "Crawl for it!"

9. When you answer the door, look at the trick-or-treaters, act shocked and scared, and start screaming your head off. Slam the door and run around the house, screaming until they go away.

10. Insist that the trick-or-treaters each do ten push-ups before you give them any candy.

11. Hand out menus to the trick-or-treaters and let them order their candy. Keep asking if anyone wants to see the wine list.

12. Get a catapult. Sit on your porch and catapult pumpkins at anyone who comes within 50 yards of your house.

13. When people come to the door, jump out a nearby window, crashing through the glass, and run as far away from your house as you can.

14. Answer the door dressed as a pilgrim. Stare at the trick-or-treaters for a moment, pretend to be confused, and start flipping through a calendar.

15. Instead of candy, give away coloured eggs. If anyone protests, explain that the eggs are the only thing you had left over from Easter.

16. Answer the door dressed as a dentist. Angrily give the trick-or-treaters a two-hour lecture on tooth decay.

17. Answer the door with a mouthful of M & M's and several half-eaten candy bars in your hands. Act surprised, and close the door. Open it again in a few seconds, and insist that you don't have any candy.

18. Hand out cigarettes and bottles of aspirin.

19. Put a crown on a pumpkin and put the pumpkin on a throne on your porch. Insist that all of the trick-or-treaters bow before the pumpkin.

20. Dress up like a bunny rabbit. Yell and curse from the moment you open the door, and angrily throw the candy at the trick-or-treaters. Slam the door when you're finished.

Personally, if anyone calls, I'll just give them some sweets. It'll prevent the house from being egged, and I also wont look like a great big scrooge. Considering I used to expect complete strangers to hand me sweets, I dont see why todays kids cant expect the same..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Put a sign on your door

"Registered Sex Offender lives here"

or just go out and buy a few sweets for the kids, remember how excited you were during halloween

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Nuttzz wrote:
    Put a sign on your door

"Registered Sex Offender lives here"

That's all very well for you but what about the rest of us who aren't sex offenders.

The only thing that p!sses me off about the kids is the greedy fuks.

1) Change their costume.
    2) Remove the costume and come back.
    3) Have an extra bag "for me brother who is at home sick in bed"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

PH01 wrote:

She probably went to the once house and made it all there...........dressed as catwoman . :p

• Advertisement

Tellox wrote:
    1. Give away something other than candy. (Toothpicks, golf balls, bags of sand, etc.)

2. Wait behind the door until some people come. When they get near the door, jump out, wearing a costume, and holding a bag, and yell, "Trick or Treat!" Look at them, scratch your head, and act confused.

3. Fill a briefcase with marbles and crackers. Write on it, "Top Secret" in big letters. When trick-or-treaters come, look around suspiciously, say, "It's about time you got here," give them the briefcase, and quickly shut the door.

Personally, if anyone calls, I'll just give them some sweets. It'll prevent the house from being egged, and I also wont look like a great big scrooge. Considering I used to expect complete strangers to hand me sweets, I dont see why todays kids cant expect the same..

Vgood. Did you think of all those by yourself?

I'm weighing up the options now. Will I go out or stay at home?
    On the money side of things they'll cost more or less the same. Going out to the pub with some grub will cost about €40 or so. Add on another €15 if we go to the movies.
    On my street in our estate there's about 75 kids of T&T age on an average cost of 50¢ each. Then add on kids that will call from other streets and that could bring up the cost to €55.
    So each way I'm fooked on the cash front.

PS: I'm NOT giving out cash Climaxer, so you may not want to call to my house. But then again, if you dress up in a cat suit well... ;)

PH01 wrote:
    Vgood. Did you think of all those by yourself?

I'm weighing up the options now. Will I go out or stay at home?
    On the money side of things they'll cost more or less the same. Going out to the pub with some grub will cost about €40 or so. Add on another €15 if we go to the movies.
    On my street in our estate there's about 75 kids of T&T age on an average cost of 50¢ each. Then add on kids that will call from other streets and that could bring up the cost to €55.
    So each way I'm fooked on the cash front.

PS: I'm NOT giving out cash Climaxer, so you may not want to call to my house. But then again, if you dress up in a cat suit well... ;)

75 kids is a lot - if I was you I'd go to the pub. In saying that if our local a lot of the older kids pass through the pub and some drunk person gets caught for a few euro.

How much you offering if I call in a cat suit. Don't have a cat suit but could be a "Puss in Boots" instead. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

stick some smelly fish outside your house. that will always do the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

PH01 wrote:
    But this year Holloween is on a Sunday, so I can't use the excuse of staying at work a couple of hours more.
    I can. I'll be working in a night club on Hallowe'en night.

Which is nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Miss Mann

Ahh, good old laxative candies. The kids love 'em.

xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Theres nothing you can do if the ppl know you but then again if you know them they'll hardly egg your house.

I have a few neighbours, they'll come up round 6 and get some sweets after than I know i dont know who ever comes to the door. Weather or not the door is answered i dont care, i dont frear for my car or being egged since this isnt america. Chances are if someone comes the door will be answered and buiscuits or popcprn will be all they can get

Also the signs "Beware of Dog - DO NOT ENTER" may or may not deter ppl, the signs are real but the dog will be inside for her own safty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

Hobbes wrote:

I've done this before and it worked a treat. Not once did the doorbell ring that halloween night. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

PH01 wrote:
    Please help!

Explain to the kids who call on you that 'this year I will only handing out sweets on a 'quality costume' basis and unfortunately none of you have met that particular standard'.

Then ask them 'why are your parents so poor/ so lacking in imagination / so without love for you?'. The ones that don't go away crying will be met by a firm clip around the ear and a door slammed in their face.

Hobbes wrote:

best idea so far!

Thanks just did it! btw, why not to put sweets? because I didn't have anything else!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

We had no trick or treat people. :(

I got my gf to get junk in case they arrived at the door and then the consequences might have been bad. Like taking out insurance. But now there is the added bonus of getting to eat all that junk myself :D:D:D Why don't AXA have a policy like that?

• Advertisement

narommy wrote:
    We had no trick or treat people. :(

I got my gf to get junk in case they arrived at the door and then the consequences might have been bad. Like taking out insurance. But now there is the added bonus of getting to eat all that junk myself :D:D:D Why don't AXA have a policy like that?

same here! it's kinda even sad! :confused:

Advertisement