Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nov 4th: No lectures!

• 22-10-2004 11:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭

Just found this out yesterday from thermodynamics lecturer guy...
    November 4th all the lectures are cancelled, because of the whole 'UCD's 150th anniversary' thing.
    Anyone else heard about this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MatthewVII

Yus, we here in Medicine had to wrestle with our lecturers to get them cancelled cos none of the professors were willing to get into the festive spirit of things. shame on them and their boringness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Intel

Matthew just out of interest, how many hours do 1st year med student have a week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MatthewVII

well obviously it varies, but this week i had 23 hours. we're still in the "basic concepts" course though, just getting a grounding, so next semester weeks will probably be a bit longer :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

they're giving us the day off so there are no smelly students around to irritate all the important guests. /cynic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

But we'll all get drunk and annoy them anyway... :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

no its actually a day for the students

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

that's terrible. "In O’Reilly Hall, to which you are not invited, guests will clink wine glasses and honor 150 years of UCD. They will celebrate in the full knowledge that the education system which got them to the privileged position the are in today is currently being starved of funding and may soon be sold to the highest bidder."
    ffs!!! :eek:

"However, there is another celebration that day - to which YOU ARE INVITED. On Wednesday the 3rd of November, students of this college will be celebrating our vision of what education should be by reclaiming our campus. We will be holding an outdoor party to show the college authorities that despite what they may think, this is our campus. We will combine political protest with open-air festival. We will protest against the threat of corporatisation by building together the UCD community in a carnival of protest. There will be food, juggling, music and whatever you want to bring yourself. So tell all your friends, spread the word and come join us on the 150th anniversary of our college to show that we, too have a right to a say in how our college functions. We, too have a vision of education. And we too can party."

Sounds like a good plan ;):D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Is it true that Commerce dont get the day off?If so I think a good hearty BWA HA HA HA! is in order.Also I dont think the lectures are being rescheduled-in arts their just saying cancelled on the overhead telling us about the "150 student day celebrations".

• Advertisement

Commerce = owned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

Is it true that Commerce dont get the day off?If so I think a good hearty BWA HA HA HA! is in order.Also I dont think the lectures are being rescheduled-in arts their just saying cancelled on the overhead telling us about the "150 student day celebrations".
    tis true alright damn quinn school guess i'll just have to take it off so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

yes, thats going to really make a difference :rollseyes: Cans anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

Cans anyone?

Yes Please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Tennis

Just found this out yesterday from thermodynamics lecturer guy...
    November 4th all the lectures are cancelled, because of the whole 'UCD's 150th anniversary' thing.
    Anyone else heard about this?
    This only applies to postgraduates!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Bah i came in for a lecture (which was scheduled to be held) but the lecturer was sick (has been all week apparently)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

yes, thats going to really make a difference :rollseyes: Cans anyone?

Heh..You were pretty spot on with that idea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Lisapeep

So what was actually organised for students today? I thought we were given the day off so that we could get involved in the celebrations!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Hanginthere

How did everyone spend there day off? i went into work an hour early, finished it, eat some mallows, had some beers and played dawn of war while thinking how little im looking forward to my 2 lectures tomorrow , and also wondering where my circuitboard for micrlabs has de-materialised to

I went shopping. All day. Bought a rainbow-stripey jumper :D, and watched my mate go through every dress in Dublin to try and find something for Martial Arts Ball. Now I'm checking boards, and I'm playing Netsoc Tetris. I've 1 lecture tomorrow, then TKD and getting stuck into my Methods C problem sheet...:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I had to go in as it turned out I had a book to bring back to the library and I wasn't going to pay their ridiculous fines.Although I did have to fork over 70 cents. :mad:

I have three essays to do for next week also but haven't started any and right now I'm watching Curb Your Enthusiasm.Larry David you are the man. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Lisapeep wrote:
    So what was actually organised for students today? I thought we were given the day off so that we could get involved in the celebrations!

thats why arts (&human sciences) day no longer gives arts students the day off, they simply stayed in bed.

You're probably right, it was to help us mark it as an important day, but I'm sure a college students idea of celebration doesn't overlap with the dignataries!!!

Advertisement