Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think 2 Stargates running alongside each each other is a good thing?

Options
  • 22-10-2004 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

I'm of the opinion that the more Stargate the better but did they really need to go to Atlantis and be totally cut off from the SGC. It's a good idea but now we have 2 series running along side each other. I hope they intertwine at some stage because thats cool buy I can't see it happening.

Do you think that if one outperforms the other the weaker series will be dropped :(

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Well Stargate: Atlantis is designed as, ultimately, the successor to Stargate: SG-1. Because we've two series this year, the episode run of each is only 20 as opposed to the norm. It wasn't originally planned that two would run concurrently. As far as I recall, Stargate: Atlantis was originally going to be set on earth but, when SG-1 got renewed, they switched settings to try and differentiate it from its parent show. So, in fact, they used different logic to you and tried to place it elsewhere much like 'Voyager' did when it began whilst 'Deep Space Nine' was still airing: use an entirely new location with a type of crew/cast we're familiar with, as well as their morals and value system.

Ratings wise, both shows are a success. SG-1 this year had a 2.0 average Nielsen rating which was its highest average season rating since it moved to Sci-Fi. However, Atlantis bettered it with a 2.3 rating. This could be trouble for SG-1. Although its ratings are excellent, there's some doubt as to whether Richard Dean Anderson would return for a ninth season making its future more shakey (he's an execute producer as welll). That, coupled with Atlantis' rating does mean that the show could suffer because of its sister show. Ideally, I imagine, Sci-Fi would like to retain both but if one is too much trouble, they may be happy to settle rather than fight. The news should be with us in the next month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

What exactly does an executive producer do anyway?

I've alway's seen it as a way to keep leading star's in tv prog's happy.They get paid more money as they have two job's on the show but do they have that much imput into the show? ie. do they get final say on the script's etc? or do they just suggest story arc's?

Personally I think the show could survive without him(bring back Jonas Quinn).

Now dont get me wrong he is a massive part of the show,especially the humour he bring's, it would be difficult to continue without him but not impossible.

G

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭crimsonfire

There is a few subtle similarities between the shows which could only be spotted by watching both consecutively (thank you sky one). The Jon Sheppard character is most definitely the "O'Neill" of atlantis while Weir is the uptight-but-gradually-loosening-up-sam carter type. She also has the same sexual tension thing goin with Sheppard that Sam has with O'Neill (sometimes anyway). If you wanna get really technical (and i do) then i think there is yet to be a Tealc sort of role dropped in in one form or another. Probably just wishful thinkin on my part though. Maybe though its tryin to totally break away from sg1 in the sense of mutual stereotypes and cliched plot lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭The Shol'va

The two shows don't cross over because they didn't want the solution to SG-1's problem to be contact the Atlantis guys. For instance, the Atlantis team could have stopped Anubis in Lockdown...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

There is a few subtle similarities between the shows which could only be spotted by watching both consecutively (thank you sky one). The Jon Sheppard character is most definitely the "O'Neill" of atlantis while Weir is the uptight-but-gradually-loosening-up-sam carter type. She also has the same sexual tension thing goin with Sheppard that Sam has with O'Neill (sometimes anyway)
    I don't know if I'd have classed it as subtle but you're right - when I was watching the other night it occurred to me that somewhere in the writers' room when they were coming up with the concept for this series they decided "hey, what if we put Carter in command of Jack"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Q_Elexra

I'm liking the both series at the moment. However I did miss out alot of the previous SG-1 series'. I think before the last three episodes of Season 7 the last time I seen it was when the Asgard (wrong spelling probably) took the knowledge out of Jack's head. Or maybe it was the season after I don't really remember but I was getting pissed off with Sky cause they kept changing the schedual.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

i like both shows and hope they both contuine for some time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭The_Goose

I like it anyway, i get feck all time to watch it and now that we got chorus in the house in colllege i can. I doubt they would abandon one if the other does better. There both great shows and i m sure earn a heap for the networks so logically they would keep both. As RDA leaving it is going to happen sometime. Shows cant go on for ever unfortunatly :( The thing i love about sg 1 is that over the seasons the friendships that have developed between the actors can be seen in every single episode.They work brilliantly together. Just hope the atlantis team can do the same!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Think Atlantis will get better and better but still no replacement for SG-1.
    Come on love the quick remarks by O'Neal (EG) blows a replicator human apart and says i dunno,had to laugh.

Atlantis willl be class if they keep the story lines apart until it develops as a story enough to merge with SG-1.

Any comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Mate; did you watch Stargate last night?
    Me; Sure. The alien mothership got blown up.
    Mate; One of the sytem lords?
    Me; No, the in the Atlantis one.
    Mate; What happened in SG1?
    Me; oh that. Well...

=-=

Its confusing when your discussing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭sioda

Having the two runing side by side is great especially if you dont have satelitte as you can get a two hour scifi hit and essential thing especially on a Tuesday nite notorious for being the worst nite of the week on the box

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

the_syco wrote:
    Mate; did you watch Stargate last night?
    Me; Sure. The alien mothership got blown up.
    Mate; One of the sytem lords?
    Me; No, the in the Atlantis one.
    Mate; What happened in SG1?
    Me; oh that. Well...

=-=

Its confusing when your discussing it.

Should really be nick named SG-A (StarGate-Atlantis) and SG-1
    Would clear up a lot.

Advertisement