Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pentium 4 EXTREME EDITION , any good????

Options
  • 22-10-2004 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any experience on extreme edition cpus, Do they overclock well on phase change??

I was thinking of geetin the socket 478 3.4ghz model, i was hoping to get up to 4.4 - 4.6 on it on my spare vapochill. Are they the same as normal p4's for OC'in??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Waste of money!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Waste of money!
    Well It will only cost me $450. I think it is worth that. Do they overclock well????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Where are you getting a 3.4EE for $450???

Where are you getting a 3.4EE for $450???
    Never u mind :)

Just kidding,
    i will be getting it from the usa. As per usual it is much better then getting it from Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

"it will only cost me $450"..."in my spare vapochill"

wtf dude! you won the lottery! :p

• Advertisement

ViperVenoM wrote:
    "it will only cost me $450"..."in my spare vapochill"

wtf dude! you won the lottery! :p
    Dude i am like the poorest guy ever, I just get cheap stuff, the vapo was a 2nd hand one i got in the FS section, i have had it for months, just no money to buy anything to put into it

It takes me ages to build a system , my current rig took me about 9 months or more to built it and 1 loan. DOH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

Aparently they are great for overclocking, especially on phase change. highest i've seen one is at 4.3 i think.. so even with the prescott around these are still the best CPU's ATM.

Seriously, are you talking $450 from the US or are you saying €450 and converting that to US Dollars.

Because if i could find a 3.4EE for $450 cash i'd buy it now, like money in hand!!!!!

This is my system, but i've made further upgrades since then:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=189348

Seriously, are you talking $450 from the US or are you saying €450 and converting that to US Dollars.

Because if i could find a 3.4EE for $450 cash i'd buy it now, like money in hand!!!!!

I am talking $450 as in 450 dollars excluding delivery., its too good of a deal to be telling where i am buying, dude. sorry

• Advertisement

I'll find out, i've got people.

nono my friend :D

gline wrote:
    nono my friend :D

:mad:

hehhehe

why dont u just buy that 1 if u really want 1, he is selling it for 450, no bidding required

I might just do that, but i'd prefer a retailer...don't like this online bidding thingy.

Thats true, i got ripped off of over 1000 on ebay before, got some of it back.

Anyway has anyone here actually oc'd a p4 3.4ghz EE on a phase change system??? How does it preform????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Slightly off topic, but where did you get the sleeving from, was it in ireland or did you have to get it shipped in?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

think i read something on this a while back. iirc they don't overclock as well as an equivalentally clocked pentium 4. again iirc the reason given may have been the extra transitors making up the extra cache giving more heat and all that jazz.

i'll see if i can dig it out

this was the article i was thinking of take what you will from tom's

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040419/index.html

Jorinn wrote:
    Slightly off topic, but where did you get the sleeving from, was it in ireland or did you have to get it shipped in?

www.frozencpu.com

New York company, cost $150 for sleeving + shipping to Ireland, cost €40 to ship the PSU to New York.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

They are not great overclockers on air because they are hot as hell with all that cache. On phase change they are great though. They like a lot of voltage so crank it up. You should be able to hit at least 4.2ghz.

BloodBath

BloodBath wrote:
    They are not great overclockers on air because they are hot as hell with all that cache. On phase change they are great though. They like a lot of voltage so crank it up. You should be able to hit at least 4.2ghz.

BloodBath

Prescotts generate more heat than Northwoods (60%) and more than the Exteme Editions, but if your paying all that money for an Extreme you might aswell well max it out and go for Phase.. but you can still get a better overclock than a Prescott even on air cooling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭dubdvd

Optikus wrote:
    Prescotts generate more heat than Northwoods (60%) and more than the Exteme Editions, but if your paying all that money for an Extreme you might aswell well max it out and go for Phase.. but you can still get a better overclock than a Prescott even on air cooling.

ill agree with that ....i see the new AMD FX53 is out ..why dont you go for that you got some good over clocks with the FX51 that you have in the big black beast you have :D TBH if i wasnt worried about money which im not when it comes to my little baby...i'd go for the 775 3.8ghz these chips are great for overclocking ive got some good ones so far with 3.4 and with subzero temps theres no telling how high it would go :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,560 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

dubdvd just looking at your rig in your sig (hey that rhymes) what temps you getting on that chip with the zalman w/c? and how much did that all set you back lemme guess at about 2500?

your guess isnt that far off ...but the real price was 2 marraiges ,and a big divorce bill :p then in money your talking about 2500 ive loss count at this stage :o
    my temps with the zalman aint great not much better than air but it is completey silent under a full load and when ive got it clocked @4.2ghz with the gpu clocked @573 MHz / 583MHz--1174 MHz "the gpu is on the zalman aswell" it will go as far as 60c but with out overclock and idle it will be in the low 40's and on boot up it would be in the low 30's until she heats up...but im going for the dangerden rbx cpu waterbock next week and im also sticking on a second pump "extrenal" and a large rad with a couple of 120mm fans and a NB block all running on the one set up so i should get a high overclock and lower temps :rolleyes:

GLINE just go mad and get yourself one of these http://www.alienware.com/Configurator_Pages/area-51_alx_sli.aspx?SysCode=PC-AREA51ALXX2SLI-D&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT and ill take that other one of you :D thats my next buy a mobo with dual pci-e x16 slots and 2 6800 ultras oohhhhh good jayas wouldnt that be soooooo sooooo nice :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I don't know where your getting 60% out of. My 3.2c ran at 50c load and my 3.2e runs at 60c load on the exact same cooling. That's only about 20%. Extreme editions do actually run hotter than prescotts when overclocking. They take a much higher voltage than a prescott and with the extra cache they generate more heat. The new D0 Prescott's will go near 4ghz on air cooling. No way would you get a EE to 4ghz on air cooling. I've never seen it being done.

BloodBath

Google for it nigga most sites i looked at stated the prescott was generating 60% more heat than northwoods.

dubdvd wrote:
    ill agree with that ....i see the new AMD FX53 is out ..why dont you go for that you got some good over clocks with the FX51 that you have in the big black beast you have :D TBH if i wasnt worried about money which im not when it comes to my little baby...i'd go for the 775 3.8ghz these chips are great for overclocking ive got some good ones so far with 3.4 and with subzero temps theres no telling how high it would go :cool:
    I would go for the 775 but there is no cpu kits for the vapochilss yet for them, An fx53 would be good, but more expensive and after all it is only a 2nd rig, al the money went into my current system. Man i cant belive u spent 2500 on ur rig, mine was nowhere near that because i bought most of it in d usa. I think phase change should be your next "project", hehehhe. i think an extreme edition would be interesting to see how high it will go, I will be volt modding the mobo i put it in, so voltage wont be a problem and using phase change, so temps wont be a problem either, i reckon it will go over 4ghz (that is only 600mhz overclock from a 3.4 chip)

• Advertisement
Advertisement