Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Christmas work party

• 22-10-2004 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

This year were going to a multiparty night in the rds. anyone been there before? what are they like? all info app :confused:
    Where are you all going this year?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

My xmas party is on the same wknd as my birthday, and my ol doll has something already organised, so i am missing out on a free hotel, free meal and free drinks for the night.

She had better be getting me something good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

gimmick wrote:
    My xmas party is on the same wknd as my birthday, and my ol doll has something already organised, so i am missing out on a free hotel, free meal and free drinks for the night.

She had better be getting me something good.
    Good to see that you know who comes first in your life. :D

This year were going to a multiparty night in the rds. anyone been there before? what are they like? all info app :confused:

Ya, that should be good, though the food may not be up to much. But, hey, you wouldn't be worried about that.

And besides if your own crowd gets boring you could always skip over to those who are having more fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

what are they like?

A hideous array of drunken office drones staggering around making fools of themselves because "IT'S CHRISTMASSSSSS" slowly descending into an orgy of vomiting and sloppy canoodling that would make Nero himself blush with shame. And then talking about it for the following 2 weeks until the usual turgid coffee-break routine of Corrie, Football and 'photos of my new neice' brings the soul-crushing reality of the meaninglessness of your job into harsh focus.

Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Always in black

Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggg...............nnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Don't like your work then?

We have a dinner and pissup in a posh hotel (IT only of course). Should be good, everyone in my dept's a good laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I've been to a couple of those Multiparty things..

They are what you make out of them. Personally I didn't think much of them at all.. There's usually a few bars scattered around which can make getting served quicker. If there's not much talent in your own office you can ogle at the talent in other offices.. apart from that.. usual christmas party stuff..

K.

seamus wrote:
    Don't like your work then?

We have a dinner and pissup in a posh hotel (IT only of course). Should be good, everyone in my dept's a good laugh.
    You work in IT and you get a all paid for Christmas Party?!
    Where I work we've hadn't a paid-for xmas party in years! Get this we've got to pay for it ourselves.
    But, they do give you two drink vouchers - WOOHOO!!!
    That's why I don't go anymore.
    Magpie's vision of Christmas Party Past is also another good reason why not to go.

If i was in any way remotely interested in my work....i would be spending far less time in this forum and would probably get something done for a change!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

The Christmas party is one of the reasons I'm leaving my company.

There's only 5 of us in the office and last year we went to some expensive restaurant
    and couldn't afford a starter, dessert or even rice to go with the main course.
    After that we had 3 pints before the money ran out.

I could go to the one in the U.K. but that's a pain in the nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

couldn't afford a starter, dessert or even rice to go with the main course.

Jesus, that's depressing. Thankfully I work for myself and therefore have no xmas party to contend with.

Sleipnir wrote:
    There's only 5 of us in the office and last year we went to some expensive restaurant
    and couldn't afford a starter, dessert or even rice to go with the main course.
    After that we had 3 pints before the money ran out.
    That ought to qualify for the Worst Christmas Party Ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Tell me about it.

Then as we walked into a pub the boss literally disappeared.
    He was walking along with us and when we went in the door
    he went back to his hotel. Switched his phone off too.
    He arrived the next morning saying he left cos he "was wrecked"

Still, the rest of the night just went onto the company credit card.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

In the past I have avoided company x-mas parties. I gave in once and went, and it sucked. Basically because I didnt like my job or the people I worked with , why I thought a party would be different is beyond me. Ever since then (8 years ago) I havnt been to another one.

This year is different though, I work in a small office, only 6 of us and we have it here in the office. One lady cooks all day and then when work is done we have a party and go home. Sounds nice enough so I think I will stick around.

Time for change I think. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

My christams party is still being organised, it'll either be the entire BBC RESOURCES LTD, in a big venue in London, or just post production in a smaller place, possible one of the Television studios... Studio One perchance... although I think Studios will be in there... who knows.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

We're heading for one of those multi-party things as well. It's in the Stillorgan Park Hotel though. Heard the band are supposed to be good; Boogie Nights. Personally, I think the fact there's a few other companies there should at least limit the potential for embaressment cos there's someone other than your workmates to pull ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

"Boogie Nights", the band, are brilliant. They played at one of my Christmas Party's a few years back.

Kev.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

"Boogie Nights", the band, are brilliant. They played at one of my Christmas Party's a few years back.

Kev.
    I'll second that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pearsquasher

Jesus... i actually got seduced by a manager in my last job at the Chrimbo party. I wouldn't mind but it was a multiparty thingy and there were plenty of other gals around. Anyway, she was cute enough, foreign and i was well pissed. No, i didn't really fancy her before that, although i did get vibes from her. So we actually talked at the party and found we had loads of common interests. We ended up togther that night after i walked her home and were togther for about 4 weeks (including new years/christmas) until we both realised it wasn't working out. Luckiliy we were both mature enough to not let it effect work and i'm still in touch with her now and then.. she went back to her home country.

Would i do it again? Fook yeah! (cept i have a g/f now so no way..)

k. so...........im still none the wiser!! im thinking that i can get hooligan drunk and nobody will notice cos ill be under some other companys table sleeping it off!! im looking foward to it cos its so different from what we usually do.....boring drinks in the pub that we keep afloat all year round!
    the whole office went last year and they thought it was a mad night....as the nubie im not allowed have an opinion on these desisions. thats a shame cos im very clever!!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Zetsuei

Hmm, sounds interesting.
    Never gone to a multiparty before, and all the work parties I used to go to weren't all that spectacular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

mine is in the office... again... there's only so many times that i can photocopy my ass and still find it amusing... reckon i'll only get another year or two out of it at most

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

My dad's place went to a few of those multi-office parties in the RDS. He usually said they were good craic... and of course its what you make of it yourself... If you dont like your workmates its gonna be sheeat...

Our last year was in the Guinness Storehouse which was pretty cool.... great venue... This year its in Clontarf castle. Dont know what its like. Anyone ever been?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

yez are all well lucky , i have to work 12 hour shifts christmas eve till the day after st. stephens day and this place dosent do a xmas party cos of the shift schedule :( so ill be doin sod all chrimbo partyin this year :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

allthough, on the plus side... on christmas day ill probably have boards all to myself WOOHOO!!!! some privacy at last ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'm another of those who has to pay to go to their Christmas party!
    Essentially the high point will probably be everyone going to Foley's on Bagott Street, and then retiring to D&Ns for the evening afterwards. Bit boring, and the fact that everyone is at least 10 years older than I doesn't really help.
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Syd_Vicious

I'll be going to my first Christmas party this year. We're having it in the POD which is a pretty decent place with free bar etc. etc. I'm not really looking forward to it but it should be decent craic nonetheless. It's just a pity that I happen to be the youngest guy in the company... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Ahh the past 2 xmas parties ive gone to have been great,
    granted ive worked in a pub for the past 2 years but still,
    its what you make of it tbh,just get pissed and make a complete fool of yourself!

Advertisement