Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Name the Film :)

• 21-05-2001 1:37am
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm gonna occasionally drop a bizarre but memorable quote in here and see who can name the film first smile.gif

The rules (there always has to be rules!)
    1. First to answer gets the prize: Nothing!
    2. No editing your earlier posts to put the correct answer in, edited posts dont count (this is for Fun!)

Ok:
    "Nothing in my hands, nothing up my sleeves, nothing on my plate except gravy. Yum.
    I take a book, a Russian book, it must be a Russian book and I throw it in the air!..." *book turns into a dove*

Thats a little obscure but its a great movie and I'm sure someone knows it smile.gif

Answers on a post. smile.gif

DeV.

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

surely someone knows this film...

ok I'll give you a hint, I truely will smile.gif

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Truly madly deeply?

It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

HIT IT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

truly, madly, deeply.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Played Q-Ball
    You win.. um nothing. But I'll try and keep track of score smile.gif

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

I'M THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!!!!!
    biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

HIT IT!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

lol, tell me that isnt your quote.

quote: ""Empire" had the better ending. Luke loses his hand and finds out Vader is his father. Han is frozen and captured by Boba Fett. It ends on such a down note. Just like in real life. All "Jedi" had was a bunch of Muppets."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Da'Bounca:
    lol, tell me that isnt your quote.

quote: ""Empire" had the better ending. Luke loses his hand and finds out Vader is his father. Han is frozen and captured by Boba Fett. It ends on such a down note. Just like in real life. All "Jedi" had was a bunch of Muppets."
    </font>

Clerks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Is it "Scream 2" when they're discussing the merits of the sequel in the classroom before Sidney shows up at the door?

Bard
    First motorbike in the bible ???? - a Triumph! - 'And yea verily did Moses strike down the ammmanites, - and all the land did hear the roar of his triumph !!!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Loomer

No Sico is right - its Clerks biggrin.gif

Heres a tough one - Classic cameo by a guy known more for his directing. Top marks for Film and actor playing Sid (sorry about length - but too good to leave out):

Sid: You want subversion on a massive level. You know what one of the greatest ****ing scripts ever written in the history of Hollywood is? Top Gun.
    Duane: Oh, come on.
    Sid: Top Gun is ****ing great. What is Top Gun? You think it's a story about a bunch of fighter pilots.
    Duane: It's about a bunch of guys waving their dicks around.
    Sid: It is a story about a man's struggle with his own homosexuality. It is! That is what Top Gun is about, man. You've got Maverick, all right? He's on the edge, man. He's right on the ****ing line, all right? And you've got Iceman, and all his crew. They're gay, they represent the gay man, all right? And they're saying, go, go the gay way, go the gay way. He could go both ways.
    Duane: What about Kelly McGillis?
    Sid: Kelly McGillis, she's heterosexuality. She's saying: no, no, no, no, no, no, go the normal way, play by the rules, go the normal way. They're saying no, go the gay way, be the gay way, go for the gay way, all right? That is what's going on throughout that whole movie... He goes to her house, all right? It looks like they're going to have sex, you know, they're just kind of sitting back, he's takin' a shower and everything. They don't have sex. He gets on the motorcycle, drives away. She's like, "What the ****, what the **** is going on here?" Next scene, next scene you see her, she's in the elevator, she is dressed like a guy. She's got the cap on, she's got the aviator glasses, she's wearing the same jacket that the Iceman wears. She is, okay, this is how I gotta get this guy, this guy's going towards the gay way, I gotta bring him back, I gotta bring him back from the gay way, so I'll do that through subterfuge, I'm gonna dress like a man. All right? That is how she approaches it. Okay, now let me just ask you - I'm gonna digress for two seconds here. I met this girl Amy here, she's like floating around here and everything. Now, she just got divorced, right? All right, but the REAL ending of the movie is when they fight the MIGs at the end, all right? Because he has passed over into the gay way. They are this gay fighting ****ing force, all right? And they're beating the Russians, the gays are beating the Russians. And it's over, and they ****ing land, and Iceman's been trying to get Maverick the entire time, and finally, he's got him, all right? And what is the last ****ing line that they have together? They're all hugging and kissing and happy with each other, and Ice comes up to Maverick, and he says, "Man, you can ride my tail, anytime!" And what does Maverick say? "You can ride mine!" Swordfight! Swordfight! ****in' A, man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭the celtic tiger

it sounds like something Jay would say in a kevin smith movie, but i'm probably wrong.

ps. I know it's sid and duane, don't point that out.

ok..... tarantino in Sleep with me.

Fair play - I'm impressed (or did you use www.imdb.com biggrin.gif)

no, i got it after thinking for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Damn, I thought that was in either 'Short Cuts' or '2 Days in the Valley'.

Was this when Tarantino was chatting up an actress, by discussing whether she waxed or shaved (and which she did on her bikini line). What film was that in?

Changing call sign to SIERRA PAPA OSCAR OSCAR FOXTROT.

Ok, heres my next one... its a little harder smile.gif

"Ok, enough of this running ****!"

Try it in a Scottish accent. smile.gif

DeVore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

The bould Sean Connery in The Untouchables.

Damn it Jim, im a doctor, not a Beefy King !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭llatsni

nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'm guessing Mad Max...

Second is Akira? Not sure...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ThunderingMike

Try this one:

"Eat my spinning steel **** head!"

or

"Power without perception is spiritually useless and therefore of no true value"

The first one is from a classic, gory Australian film and the second is from a gory, classic Anime. Anyone guess?

ThunderingMike Thus conscience does make cowards of us all, And thus the native hue of resolution is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought, And enterprises of great pitch and moment, With this regard their current turns away, And lose the name of action... Nows that's a sig.

• Advertisement

Gratz membrane, pretty fast too!!

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Bob the Unlucky Octopus

This one's a little obscure, but get-able:

"It's in the middle of absolute *insanity* that people pull out the most extraordinary qualities: resourcefulness, courage, self-sacrifice. It's a pity we can't beat the problems of peace in the same way. It would be so much cheaper for everybody..."

Brownie points for naming the character+actor playing him smile.gif

Bob the Unlucky Octopus
    =Alea Jacta Est=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

---- "Eat my spinning steel **** head!"

Is that from BrainDead??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

This is prolly wrong Occy but is it the Thin Red Line and Nick Nolties character saying it?

Im **** at quotes.

Wrong Lex m8y...right genre but wrong film smile.gif

Think posh English accent in a war-film biggrin.gif

As I said...obscure, but get-able smile.gif

Bob the Unlucky Octopus
    =Errarre Humanum Est=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Im going out on a limb, because it's so long since i saw it, but is it Michael Caine in Zulu ?

Damn it Jim, im a doctor, not a Beefy King !

No it's not plastic- Lex actually picked the *exact* genre, just the wrong film. Besides...colonial wars weren't really wars...just subjugation expeditions. Keep trying fellas smile.gif

Bob the Unlucky Octopus
    =Carpe Diem=

hmmm.

sounds like a war film/black comedy type of thing, perhaps with the actor narrating parts.

is it an oldie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Bob: Full Metal Jacket?

Changing call sign to SIERRA PAPA OSCAR OSCAR FOXTROT.

• Advertisement

Bounca- yes it's an oldie...not comedy though

Victor- Sorry to say it's not FMJ...though that is a f*cking great film- horribly underrated.

You're all going to kick yourselves...you really are...(well those of you who have seen it anyhow biggrin.gif)

Bob the Unlucky Octopus
    =Veritas Veritas Veritas=

It's not Paths of Glory is it?

I'm the Dude

Nope- Paths of Glory is a bit *too* obscure a film...I'll rephrase- it's an obscure line from a classic film. I simply can't say any more without giving the game away...c'mon...someone's got to know this frown.gif

Bob the Unlucky Octopus
    =Moratorium Panacaeum in est=

Casablanca?

I'm the Dude

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Sir John Mills in War and Peace?

The friend must be Laurence Olivier so is it him as Dr Spaander in A Bridge to Far? I don't think its The Battle of Britain is it?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

The Great Escape? Said possibly by Richard Attenbourgh?

Goodness me, closer and closer and yet...!!

Right genre, and right character type of actor- Sir John Mills, Alec Guiness, and Olivier were all indeed friends, but who was the fourth friend who used to golf with the other three(and hate it)?

It's not the Great Escape- if you'll remember Draco- Bartlett is hardly one to eulogize about peace- he wants revenge- and if doing his duty allows him to achieve that revenge even at the expense of his life- then so much the better.

It's not the Battle of Britain- but while we're on the subject, here's another obscure hint: Richard Harris has a cameo in this film as a flying officer about 5 minutes before the line is delivered.

Brownie points for the actor and the character played remember smile.gif

You guys are getting close- don't give up now! biggrin.gif

Bob the Unlucky Octopus
    =Persevere good sir, for your time is not ended=

Bob... is it The Guns of Navarone?

Bard
    Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Damn you Bard tongue.gif The Guns of Navarone it is Richard Harris a dead giveaway and the Actor/Character is no doubt David Niven/Corporal Miller. Indeed a classic film

Well done Bard- the film is the Guns of Navarone- and the character is Commodore Jensen, played by James Robertson Justice.

Didn't think the Richard Harris thing was a dead giveaway, but so it proved. A classic film as Loomer points out- the confrontation scene between Miller and Captain Mallory near the end is fantastic biggrin.gif

Bob the Unlucky Octopus
    =Asteroids do not concern me Admiral...I want *that ship* not excuses...=

• Advertisement

Okay ... this one's easy... name the movie this quote is from and the actor/character who says it:
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    "I shall be closer to you for the next few days, which will be the last of your miserable lives, than that b|tch of a mother who first brought you screaming into this world!!"
    </font>

Bard

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 01-06-2001).]

from one of my favourite films:
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">"As he dove into his second pie, Lard Ass started imagining he wasn't eating pies. He imagined he was eating cow flops, and rat guts in blueberry sauce."</font>

Gladiator is the film, Oliver Reed (in his last film *sniff*) is the actor, and the character is Proximo.

From another classic film: "All too easy..."

Bob the Unlucky Octopus
    =Roma Victor Par Entis=

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bob the Unlucky Octopus:
    Gladiator is the film, Oliver Reed (in his last film *sniff*) is the actor, and the character is Proximo.
    </font>

True, true...

smile.gif

Bard

Heres a line from a film I think is hilarious I have masked the names as that would make it to easy:

Speaker1: Don't be so fast to thank me on this, Speaker2, because you're going to be naked on this one. It's on the line for you. People are going to be watching. Now you blow it, you're going down. You screw up, you're going to be hung out to dry. You drop the ball, you're going to be left twisting in the wind. If you embarrass this department, your pants will be dancing with figs. Is that clear?
    Speaker2: Everything except for the dancing with figs part!

Here's another classic from one of my favourite actors:

No! No! Not if you tied my tounge to your tail-pipe and drove me eighty miles-an-hour naked across a field of broken glass.

C'mon peeps ezzy peezy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Da'Bounca:
    from one of my favourite films:
    "As he dove into his second pie, Lard Ass started imagining he wasn't eating pies. He imagined he was eating cow flops, and rat guts in blueberry sauce."</font>

Stand By Me.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bob the Unlucky Octopus:

From another classic film: "All too easy..."

</font>

Empire Strikes Back.

Correct CT, although I was intending it more as a sarcastic jab at Bard for posting up such an easy quote biggrin.gif

Now all we need is someone to post a name(*cough*, quote) from a crap film a la Face-Off tongue.gif

Bob the Unlucky Octopus
    =Vade Retro=

Alrighty then:

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">If there's one thing I hate about sleeping with women, it's all the fu<king mind reading</font>

Ok, how about this one... smile.gif
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    Man 1: "Now, don't tell me you've never been with a woman." Man 2: "No, sir I haven't." Man 1: "Well, that, that's terrible! Did you know you could go blind?!"
    </font>

Bard

• Advertisement
Advertisement