Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Simpsons, long dead

• 08-06-2001 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭

Futurama is the "world of tomorrow". i am a consistant viewer of the simpsons, but latley i find that they are becoming less funny as the series continues. But futurama.. THAT is funny. Sky 1 shows 2 much simpsons, ther are 2 -> 4 on every day. LESS HOMER MORE BENDER biggrin.gif

PHat Ass Burger

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

there is not enough episodes of futurama to fullfill your lust for that cartoon, while there are hundreds of episodes of simpsons to watch over and over and over again.

adnans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

futurama pfffff oh pls that sux! rolleyes.gif ok it's mildly entertaining on occasion but the simpsons are great!

"just because you're not paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after you!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Berger

yes the simpsons are funny but they are repetitive, i still watch the simpsons (alot) but futurama is new(ish)with different kinds of jokes. but we all know futurama will never replace the simpsons, it's a classic. (on channel 4 recently homer was voted the most popular tv character EVER!!) tongue.gif

PHat Ass Burger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

Dont think Simpsons is losing it's edge at all. If anything it's become funnier and sharper over the years.

Hmm...as for Futurama, personally I think it's just as funny as the Simpsons; some of the jokes and references are very deep and in that sense its humour is more adult than the simpsons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Magwitch

Futurama rocks. Much funnier and more sharply observed (and adult jokes get in).

The Simpsons has had its day. One episide can be repeated about 20 times in six months on four channels. Really too much exposure. Any series, no matter how good, will inevitably suffer the consequences of that over exposure. I think also that the Simpsons has turned out some real turkey episodes, the balance between good episides and bad is getting closer. That one where Homer joined the Navy for instance was a complete mess, the writers really drew a blank, totally out of keeping with the initial theme that was developed well early on in the series.

I was a long time Simpsons but a couple of years ago I taped over my cassettes and now follow Futurama.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

I love futurama and the simpsons, they're both excellent, the problem wih futurama is that there are only 3 short series of it even made, and I've watched every single episode, but with simpsons there are hundred of eps and I could happily watch repeats on TV smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

**** ya all, family guy is the best!!!!!
    nah there all good,i just dont like the really old simpsons were bart's do cool dude
    DO THE BARTMAN
    dont deny u didnt buy the tape

[This message has been edited by RasTa (edited 08-06-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ThunderingMike

TBH, I have been watching Simpsons since practically day one, and it has gotten a little too subversive. Dont get me wrong, it's still funny as f_uck, but the creators seemed to get a little experimental in the last couple of series.

ThunderingMike Thus conscience does make cowards of us all, And thus the native hue of resolution is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought, And enterprises of great pitch and moment, With this regard their current turns away, And lose the name of action... Nows that's a sig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

4 episodes a day isnt enough for me lol so I just watch one of my 50 Odd episodes of it on video lol (yes i have a problem lol)

Also its amazing the little things ya pick up on after ya watch it a few times, little lines here andthtere ooh I loooove it to bits lol

also futurama is damn funny as well but not as funny yet!

[This message has been edited by Ronan|Raven (edited 08-06-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Berger

at the start futurama was cr*p. but now that the creators are experimenting more, it's become funnier. the thing about futurama is that new characters can be introduced which are funny and different. like all sorts of aliens and what not rolleyes.gif. The new eps. of the simpsons are based around homer more than anyone else, some of other funny characters are left out (like otto). mad.gif

PHat Ass Burger

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭[-Morpheus-]

huh
    Everyone thinks the New episodes of the Simpsons are getting better eg. "She's Presenting" biggrin.gif lol i couldn't stop laughing at that but Futurama does have it's good jokes....but! the only funny character's in it are Bender,Fry and that fat guy with dark skin [HEY MAN!]. All the rest are just in there to create a story line which never happens confused.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

I would disagree that purely wacky means funny though - it all has to parallel back to problems and experiences we have today to be insightful humour. Otherwise you would have to just keep creating wackier and wackier aliens etc. Thats not what the simpsons did. Instead you'll notice they focused on the almost mundane and pointed out what was so crazy about these situations, the ones we actually experience in day to day living.

I reckon futurama does have a nice palatte for new situations etc, but most of these are geeky because of the futuristic aspect, and put alot of people off. As time goes by you will stop thinking of futurama as being futuristic and most people will accept it as up there with the simpsons. Remember simpsons was actually wacky at the start - yellow hair, skin, crazy assed cartoons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RasTa:

dont deny u didnt buy the tape
    </font>

Ok... I won't deny that I didn't buy the tape smile.gif

The Simpsons still has some life in it yet... not a hell of a lot mind you- and Futurama is a well worthy successor to it.

Still I agree with you on one thing... FAMILY GUY rocks!

Bard
    "Have a gorilla!" ... "No thanks, I'll have one of my monkeys, they're milder."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I would disagree that purely wacky means funny though - it all has to parallel back to problems and experiences we have today to be insightful humour. Otherwise you would have to just keep creating wackier and wackier aliens etc. Thats not what the simpsons did. Instead you'll notice they focused on the almost mundane and pointed out what was so crazy about these situations, the ones we actually experience in day to day living.
    I reckon futurama does have a nice palatte for new situations etc, but most of these are geeky because of the futuristic aspect, and put alot of people off. As time goes by you will stop thinking of futurama as being futuristic and most people will accept it as up there with the simpsons. Remember simpsons was actually wacky at the start - yellow hair, skin, crazy assed cartoons.</font>

Well said. The first series or two of simpsons aren't very funny IMO when i see them now. he creators were still defining the characters, which was funny at the time but not so much if you watched them now, after the first 2 series or so the simpsons got a lot better, with more experimentation with the characters. Also there are subtle little gags that a lot of people don't seem to get and that I'd only get maybe on seeing the episode a second time, which encourages me to rewatch them...... I just love the simpsons smile.gif

Futurama series 2 and 3 similarly are a lot better than the first series, some excellent stuff in futurama too, I was constantly laughing my ass off during the whole 2nd series, it and family guy are well on their way to being as big as the simpsons, both great shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Mikill

I could watch the Simpsons all damn day.
    They never get old. tongue.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I do watch the Simpsons all day and quote endlessly from them.

But there is no denying that the latest series of the Simpsons is just not good. I recently turned off a Simpsons episode that I had never seen before because it was terrible... first time I ever turned off a Simpsons episode.

Who here has seen the episode with NSync in it when Bart, Millhouse, Nelson and Ralph become a boy band? It was TERRIBLE. Absolutely TERRIBLE.

It seems like the writers just try to come up with more "out there" situations to put the characters in every week and then just patch together some ramshackle jokes over it all.

Ugh... I feel so dirty for criticising what is undoubtedly my favourite TV programme ever.

I'm the Dude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

I think its only natural that the simpsons is getting bad.
    I think the simpsons writers have gotten a god complex and think that everyones gonna watch anyway so they can do what we want....
    Anyone seen the completely bizarre episodes?
    wtf was the story with that american football one?

Futurama was sh|t when it started off, well maybe not sh|t but only mildly amusing. Since then it has gone from strength to strength and its actually ace now...bender is one funny cleptomaniac alcoholic:P

And this brings me to Family guy, which one critic said "the simpsons picks off taboos with precision, family guy riddles them with a machine gun" which i find quite funny and true.
    "hey man want some gum?" - "sure" - "haha that was joke gum, now your addicted to heroin!" - "hahahah cccc immmm c-c-cold...."
    BRING IT BACK
    BRING IT BACK
    OI! FOX TV!
    BRING IT BACK
    mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Family guy is back - it was canceled and now it's not. Sky one show it at 6:30 Mondays. Wedensdays and Fridays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

The simpsons will always remain a classic, and to be honest I prefer to watch a Simpsons rerun to some the **** they put on sky on these days. But I agree on some of the points of futurama. It has some excellent jokes and can be very very clever. But it can be also be too technical at times e.g.

They are at a horse race and they approach the finish...

Commentator: "And its... its a quantum finish"

Judge: " And the winner is horse no. 5"

Punter: "Hey, no fair, you changed the result by measuring it!"

Now I found this very funny, but I study physics, so I get what the joke is trying to say. Honestly your average veiwer is just going to be confused.

Still it's nice to see a bit on intellegence in american humour for a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 spag

Here are my views on all three:

Futurama is fantastically funny most of the time..except it does have off episodes now and again, which shouldn't be happening with such a new show. this kind of pattern is mostly related with long running shows.. which leads me to belive it will peeter out after a while.. how long can they make jokes based on our perception of the future before they start getting tedious or repeditive...

The simpsons is The Funniest Comdy Show in all creation. Full Stop. I fully believe people should be quoting the simpsons like they quote shakespeare (some people ,like me, already do). True, it has had some off episodes of late, but this is to be expected with such a long running show. I think the beauty of the simpsons (with the slightly older episodes more so) is the subtlety of the jokes. You find when you watch old episode you spot a lot more jokes, and this is why they stand up to repeated viewing. some jokes you'd miss at the blink of an eye, especially the visual gags. i could list many examples...but i won't

Family guy is funny.....but it's not very subtle. alot of the jokes are great blundering things, based too much on what we're supposed know from watching other television shows or american tv culture, which don't ransfer well over seas. The idea is a rip off of the simpsons. and it is not very subtle at all. take for example the way they show every little flash back...there's about 10 every episode...the beauty of the simpson's is that they don't need to show so many flashbacks to get a laugh...they do it by just refering to "that time when".....family guy always go into the flashbacks and they're almost always not that funny or a bit obvious....also, the second series is alot less funny so far than the first, in my opinion.

She's a waitress, and she's got style
    Sunday bathtime will take a while

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Mikill

The Only Show I really liked from Futurama ,was the very first episode.
    That suicide booth was class.
    (the single turning knife at the end.)
    LOL.
    ("u are now dead.")

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭bugler

Leyla:'...the first ever robot president'.

Bender: 'he struck a chord with the voters when he promised not to go on a murderous rampage'

Prof: 'Yes but like most politicians he promised more than he could deliver!'

smile.gif > Great stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭El Marco

Futurama and Simsons rule equaly but theres a face in town and it's name is FAMILY GUY.
    Not as big as fururama or the simsons with a mear 2 series. But have you ever seen it its extremely funny biggrin.gif

Sky One biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭El Marco

I think someone aready mentioned family guy.
    soz but I didn't really read the post (Too long)

(Insert quote here)

Advertisement