Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heroin... why would ya?

• 22-10-2004 6:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭

Just wondering about this. I watched Adam and Paul in the cinema the other nite (for those who haven't heard of it it's about two down and out junkies roaming Dublin looking for a fix, funny on paper but not the greatest movie). Now in truth I don't think I have ever met a person who is addicted to heroin and my only opinions of the stuff are based on the trustworthy media and movies (har har) Just wondering if anyone has opinions on why someone would try heroin considering the impact it can have on your life. Is the high u get off heroin unlike anything else out there or what? It confuses me that you can see addicts in the news, hear about how it (supposedly) ruins people and can turn em into the kind of ppl you see shuffling around Dublin and yet everyday it seems more people are using it.

For the record I'll point out again I have no experience of people on heroin so maybe I've been brainwashed by the media and its only the few who get dragged down by it in the same way as an alcoholic, I dunno.... Just wanted to know if anyone could set the record straight on the subject and maybe point out why someone would try it cos it plain confuses me. (On that note I know u can make the argument why does a person start smoking but while smoking will kill ya it doesn't change you as a person as much as heroin is portrayed to do).

Cheers for any insight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Boredom and a disillusioned case of "I really don't care" would be my main bets.

Some people really do feel like they have absolutely nothing to look forward to or to live for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Beats me why anyone would think "Heroin! Thats what I need right now" but then I'm not living in Dublins inner city hell. Maybe Colin Farrell can tell us.

http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/celebrity/11252004.htm

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Just wondering about this. I watched Adam and Paul in the cinema the other nite (for those who haven't heard of it it's about two down and out junkies roaming Dublin looking for a fix, funny on paper but not the greatest movie). Now in truth I don't think I have ever met a person who is addicted to heroin and my only opinions of the stuff are based on the trustworthy media and movies (har har) Just wondering if anyone has opinions on why someone would try heroin considering the impact it can have on your life. Is the high u get off heroin unlike anything else out there or what? It confuses me that you can see addicts in the news, hear about how it (supposedly) ruins people and can turn em into the kind of ppl you see shuffling around Dublin and yet everyday it seems more people are using it.

For the record I'll point out again I have no experience of people on heroin so maybe I've been brainwashed by the media and its only the few who get dragged down by it in the same way as an alcoholic, I dunno.... Just wanted to know if anyone could set the record straight on the subject and maybe point out why someone would try it cos it plain confuses me. (On that note I know u can make the argument why does a person start smoking but while smoking will kill ya it doesn't change you as a person as much as heroin is portrayed to do).

Cheers for any insight.

Sometimes it will be tried by people cos they can or cos it's available & they're looking for the next high or a better high from whatever else they're on..... like most things you can get addicted to, it really doesn't require a logical reason...as it can come down to the individual & their perceptions of it or who they are...

::: venomous :::

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

i think most addicts start out by smoking it which isnt generaly regarded to be as bad(and colin farrel does it so it must be cool ;) ) but if they get hooked on that then the logical progression is to sticking it in their arm.

dunno too much about the stuff meself but thats my general impression from what ive heard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

yeah but i could never ever EVER imagine myself sticking a needle in my arm to get high, let alone smoke the stuff..... (and i do smoke, "smoke" and drink so I'm not being evangelical there)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

To generate publicity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

aye , ive a severe phobia of needles meself and after smelling the stink off gear heads smoking it i wouldnt go down that route either even if i was absolutley desperate to get out of me nut , nah a pint of guinness and a spliff does me nicely

but you know what they say though "different horses for different courses"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Was (hypotheically) considering it the other day.
    Was bored and dissillusioned and frankly anything escape would be welcome.

That, and the fact that it's "better than sex".

_113

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

because everyone knows deep down that they won't end up like those pathetic loser junkies, they and they alone have the strength and willpower to beat the addiction and take from the drug only the positives.

tribble wrote:
    Was (hypotheically) considering it the other day.
    Was bored and dissillusioned and frankly anything escape would be welcome.

That, and the fact that it's "better than sex".

_113

but why heroin is what makes me wonder? surely there are other "safer" drugs that ppl can use. I mean if i wanna let loose I'll say to meself... right off down to the pub or havea "smoke". Can't get it around my head why someone would go "yup a nice shot of heroin would hit the spot right now"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I can't get it around my head that people want to climb mountains, or worship deities or want children. Heroin though, I can almost understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

but why heroin is what makes me wonder? surely there are other "safer" drugs that ppl can use. I mean if i wanna let loose I'll say to meself... right off down to the pub or havea "smoke". Can't get it around my head why someone would go "yup a nice shot of heroin would hit the spot right now"

If safety is someone's prime concern they wouldn't be trying any drugs.

Why did you start smoking? Don't tell me you weren't aware that it was bad for you, I would imagine people start other drugs for similar sorts of reasons.

John R wrote:
    If safety is someone's prime concern they wouldn't be trying any drugs.

Why did you start smoking? Don't tell me you weren't aware that it was bad for you, I would imagine people start other drugs for similar sorts of reasons.

yeah i understand yur question but i did say in my original post "(On that note I know u can make the argument why does a person start smoking but while smoking will kill ya it doesn't change you as a person as much as heroin is portrayed to do)."

but i suppose like mordeth says u reckon yur better than the drug... i dunno... its just in my uneducated eyes, heroin is possibly the worst substance to abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

I don't think the majority of Heroin addicts start doing it with the intention of getting hooked, most probably start as someone already said by smoking.. possibly because dealer are going to make it more readily available because there is alot more profit to be made off it, and the addictivnous of it secures constant customers.. also when starting off on it its very cheap to get a hit, but the more thay do , they then begin to be chasing the first or best hit they had. as for sticking it in there arm thats all part of the chasing the buzz. even a person who starts off with the attitude "i would never do it on the pin" will eventually if they continue to use. the after effects become so painfull for them they need to do this to stop being ill.. tis not just physical addition it mental too, and the mentall addiction plauges recovering/recovered additics for the rest of their lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

If you ask me, heroin should be put on prescription immediately. Pure heroin, clinically administered has no damaging effect on a persons health. Studies have shown this to be true.

The heroin addicts you see every day in Dublin (for example) are walking skeletons in the worst of health. They cannot recover from this. They will continue to steal, initimidate, cause misery for their families and leave virtual orphans with grandparents.

Instituting a clinically pure heroin programme would easily cost less than the current situation.

I know this wasn't the point of the original poster, but as to why would someone choose heroin over some other drug.. there surely can't be a definitive answer although I'm sure that many of the clinics treating addicts would tell you that social exclusion/family issues etc etc are causes as well as so called "gateway" drugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I know otherwise intelligent people who have tried it just to see what the big deal is. They say they just monged out for god knows how many hours and puked several times while feeling absolute bliss. Then the crash came, which they "blunted", slept for hours and hours, and the next day went on about their lives as normal, saying "yep, tried that, now I'm never doing it again". And to the best of my knowledge they never have.

Personally, I'm with Billy Connolly on this one, it's one of those things I'm saving for when the doctor tells me I have six months to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

mike65 wrote:
    Beats me why anyone would think "Heroin! Thats what I need right now" but then I'm not living in Dublins inner city hell. Maybe Colin Farrell can tell us.

http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/celebrity/11252004.htm

Mike.

On a completely unrelated note, Is anyone going to see his new film which was released on the day before this article was published and doesn't need any publicity whatsoever?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

From what I've heard (from friends-of-friends type thing), most people are curious about all the fuss, and most will only start by snorting it. They'll do it once, maybe twice, and leave it. But some are instantly under the spell, and continue to do so. It gets to the stage where they're pretty much addicted, and are doing it nearly every day.

It starts to cost them so much, so they decide to inject - less heroin and more of a rush, so it's much more financially sound. And once they take that step, there's no doubt that they're addicted.

That's not to say that they can't (with a LOT of willpower) be rehabilitated. It's just that, if you're down and out, uneducated, and with a grim future, you're not going to see the point of rehab, so you keep going. That's why it's such an inner-city problem. I'm sure plenty of suburbanites have tried it, but they have the means (and the support) to kick it.

If you''re looking for more information about it, I suggest you check out the Erowid experience vaults - http://www.erowid.org/experiences/subs/exp_Heroin.shtml . It's quite ominous that there are so few writeups about it - about 50 or so in total (compared to hundreds and hundreds about say, cannabis). But they describe the reasoning behind starting, and the difficulty with finishing. If you're curious, go there. It's unbiased and straight from the source, no propaganda or conservative agendas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

It's all a lie. Heroin doesn't and never has existed. It's been the biggest ever publicity stunt EVER for the new Collin Farrell movie and has ultimately culminated in that "females first" article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

Pet wrote:
    From what I've heard (from friends-of-friends type thing), most people are curious about all the fuss, and most will only start by snorting it. They'll do it once, maybe twice, and leave it. But some are instantly under the spell, and continue to do so. It gets to the stage where they're pretty much addicted, and are doing it nearly every day.

It starts to cost them so much, so they decide to inject - less heroin and more of a rush, so it's much more financially sound. And once they take that step, there's no doubt that they're addicted.

That's not to say that they can't (with a LOT of willpower) be rehabilitated. It's just that, if you're down and out, uneducated, and with a grim future, you're not going to see the point of rehab, so you keep going. That's why it's such an inner-city problem. I'm sure plenty of suburbanites have tried it, but they have the means (and the support) to kick it.

If you''re looking for more information about it, I suggest you check out the Erowid experience vaults - http://www.erowid.org/experiences/subs/exp_Heroin.shtml . It's quite ominous that there are so few writeups about it - about 50 or so in total (compared to hundreds and hundreds about say, cannabis). But they describe the reasoning behind starting, and the difficulty with finishing. If you're curious, go there. It's unbiased and straight from the source, no propaganda or conservative agendas.

Snorting heroin is not really the informed first time users choice as unlike smoking, snorting and injecting are the only possible ways of overdosing.. people you hear of overdosing by smoking is not true ..they probably died due to gear that was cut with poison or someother chemical other than actual heroin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Smoking is FAR more dangerous than heroin...and, barring overdose, heroin is also healthier than alcohol..I suggest you educate yourself (no offense, there are many other people with the same disinformation as yourself; blame the media).
    Snorting heroin is not really the informed first time users choice as unlike smoking, snorting and injecting are the only possible ways of overdosing.. people you hear of overdosing by smoking is not true ..they probably died due to gear that was cut with poison or someother chemical other than actual heroin.

While that's certainly true, the image associated with smoking heroin is quite unsatisfactory, especially when you consider the social group we're thinking of here. Snorting is far more acceptable, due to the increased usage of cocaine among the so-called "upper classes".

Advertisement