Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flashed Graphics card with new cooler, warranty void?

Options
  • 22-10-2004 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

I got a sapphire 9800pro not so long ago with a arctic cooler to go with it.
    I flashed it to Xt and it was fine for ages could even have oc'ed it more without getting artifacts.
    Then last weekend my monitor turned a shade of purple, tried different monitor and all was fine.
    Kept using the old monitor untill i finally found out about getting it rma's back.
    Then to day 5 mins after turning pc on, monitor turned of. :eek:
    Tried diff monitor again and it would not work, tried my monitor on other pc and it was fine (appart from the shade of purple).
    Now is my gfx still under warranty with the arctic cooler? (if i flash it back to pro off course?)
    Any suggestions what i can/should do?

Jozi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

If, like me you had to break the plastic pins holding the stock cooler onto the card, then no you won't be able to RMA it as it will be obvious the card was tampered with. If you got the stock cooler off fairly cleanly then assuming you can get it back on without breaking anything you stand a good chance I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Same thing happened to me, I put the stock cooler back on n sent it off, 1 week ltr i had a brand new card. Didnt try to flash it back to a pro

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Anyone want to give me the lend of the original cooler, if your not using it anymore?
    You'll get it back when i get the card back then.
    The pins do look like they where tampered with.
    unkler did you send it of flashed as an xt?

Jozi

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

My pins looked as if they'd been tampered with, n yes i sent it off as n XT.... You'll need all the original packagin too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

I totally WRECKED my x800, i was modding an athlon xp heatsink and fan on it, i had it on and the temps were much lower then stock, however i damaged the card noticibly, i just sent it back to ati and they gave me a new card no problem, the card was noticably tampered with, but they didnt seem to care

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

gline wrote:
    i just sent it back to ati and they gave me a new card no problem, the card was noticably tampered with, but they didnt seem to care
    Why should they? Can you imagine the amount of crap they get as returns all they probably do is stick the card they are given into a PC see if it works if it doesn't they just send a new one out. The hassle of trying to prove *you* were the one who b0rked the card ( even when it's obviously been tampered with ) is just not work it to these guys.

Why should they? Can you imagine the amount of crap they get as returns all they probably do is stick the card they are given into a PC see if it works if it doesn't they just send a new one out. The hassle of trying to prove *you* were the one who b0rked the card ( even when it's obviously been tampered with ) is just not work it to these guys.

Ah i know, it wouldnt be worth the hassle, plus they just employ people to open the boxes to see if there is a card in them, they probably dont even check to seee if they work. So RMA that card man, heheheh :D

Good to see i wasn't the only one in this situation!
    Am sending it of with a hs/fan i'm getting of someone at the weekend, just incase. Knowing my luck they prob notice its flashed but it's worth a try anyway.
    Should i pos it to jes who i got it of or would i be better of sending it directly to sapphire?
    Jozi

jozi wrote:
    Good to see i wasn't the only one in this situation!
    Am sending it of with a hs/fan i'm getting of someone at the weekend, just incase. Knowing my luck they prob notice its flashed but it's worth a try anyway.
    Should i pos it to jes who i got it of or would i be better of sending it directly to sapphire?
    Jozi
    In my opinion send it to sapphire, i think jes would be more likely to open up the box and throughly check it.

I have a mobo rma'd back to yes and its taking a month now so if sending it to sapphire is faster then thats what i'll do.
    Jes will send it on to them anyway

Jozi

• Advertisement

jozi wrote:
    I have a mobo rma'd back to yes and its taking a month now so if sending it to sapphire is faster then thats what i'll do.
    Jes will send it on to them anyway

Jozi
    Well good luck with getting the card repaired or replaced, hope it works out well, and no modding the one u get back, heheheheehh (just kidding, u better mod it and get ur moneys worth, hhehehe :D )

Advertisement