Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guru @ Crawdaddy - Nov. 15th

• 22-10-2004 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭

For those of you who thought The Gudmen performance @ Aesop Rock was "laughable" and that I was "dire" (I'd thouroughly agree with you, flu or no flu it was a bad show on my behalf) come along to Guru in Crawdaddy and see if we can change your mind.

Ay Cee

www.IrishBeats.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭johnnymc

Might check it out ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

just remembered he's playin on monday, anyone goin?
    wouldn't mind myself, gangstarr played early in the year but didnt go to it, anyone seen them live before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Yeah pretty good indeed and very decent to their fans afterwards. I have to say J5 are in a different league though when it comes to a show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Considering going.
    I'm not sure....I want to get Halo 2 and I can't do both.
    It'd be worht the money but then, so would Halo....hmm...decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

you can get halo 2 for christmas, you cant get guru ticket for christmas ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Klimseven

jesus, what are you people, 12 years old?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Yes, they are 12 years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

Worst Gig Ever... An absolute disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Klimseven

What? Seriously? I was thinking of going, what was so terrible about it?

Just a total lack of effort on his behalf. The constant plugging of his website. It was just terrible

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

Worst gig ever is a bit harsh. I'd put it down to a number of factors after speaking to GURU.

1. The sound system. 1 Deck was 10DB lower than the other. 3/4's of an hour was wasted trying to figure that out. Turns out it was the arm of the deck, couldnt' be sorted. We sound checked and I was totally impressed with the sound, we went on live and...it all went out the window! I dunno what happened in between but it was a shambles!

2. The crowd. Speaking with a few other people including Guru & Doo Wop they commented on a fairly "cold" crowd. Couple of hecklers around, as is normally the case. Seems we weren't the right skin tone for some, ironically they were the same colour as us :rolleyes: I was backstage and I'd swear I heard (while GURU was onstage) someone shout "f**kin' ni**ers". Did any body else here that? I heard a few people making unwelcome comments to Lil Chi while he was on too. Seems we were too white for some and they were too black for others :confused:

3. Merchandise. Crawdaddy were supposed to lay out an area after ward for Guru to sell some merchandise. Due to some misunderstaning, this didn't happen, needless to say, GURU was none too impressed and it took a lot of cash out his pockets. He remained a true pro and still went on to sign stuff for people for ages. This is after some drunken idiot had made his way back stage and proceeded to ask GURU the most idiotic questions ever and just totally wreck GURU's head! One question being "Are ye a Wu Tang man are ye huh?" :confused: Last I seen of that guy when I was leaving a bouncer had him in a head lock and he was trying to take a swing at the promoter.

Re: Galway, see the total opposite of above!!! WOW!!! Incredible gig, crowd were amazing, sound was nice and and it was all cool.

All I can say, after spending a few hours with GURU, is that he is genuinely one of the nicest guys I've met. A true professional, genuine and a true Hip Hop fan. In Galway he started a cypher backstage with myself and Solar over...The Smashing Pumpkins which the DJ played in the club after the gig!!!

The man's a true legend!

Ay Cee
    www.irishbeats.com

Well Ay Cee. Its good to see that you got your point across to everyone on this forum that you met Guru and spent sometime with him. But that has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that his performance wasn't up to scratch. I mean. During Right where you stand, there is a scratching bit in the tune and the DJ didn't even attempt to pretend to scratch. Just let the backing track do it. I didn't pay in. Thankfully. But if I did I wouldn't be happy one little bit. 24:50 to see that. I mean come on.

And as far as technical hitches go. It kind of reminds me of the time I saw Jurassic 5 when they had major major difficulties and how much it affected their performance. Oh wait. It didn't affect their performance at all. They stood up. Were completely professional and went on to perform one of the greatest gigs I have ever seen. I didn't hear any of them complain that "this might be over before it starts"
    Oh... One thing good about the Guru gig was the constant plugging of gurugangstarr.com. YEAH RIGHT.

Pathetic. To be honest I expected more from such a talented and experienced performer.

Rant over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

Sajan, the point of my post was to contrast between Dublin & Galway. I wasn't name dropping Guru.

There's also a difference between technical difficulties and a **** sound set up. I don't know what went wrong with J5 but when the sounds against you well...it's like having a car with a knackered engine.

You didn't enjoy it but plenty of people I spoke to did. But hey you were on the guestlist so...you got your money's worth :D

Did any one else go? Not that your opinion isn't valid Sajan. Be interested in hearing other people's thoughts on it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

I was at it and I have to admit I was on the guestlist so I didnt part with any cash. However the one thing that got me the most was the first english act that came on. Without a doubt the worst mc's I've heard without a doubt. They came out on to the stage and without giving _anything_ to the crowd expected to be cheered and told how great they were. I have no problem with performers looking for feedback but you have to give the crowd something first before expecting reactions from the crowd.

I'm a huge Guru fan so I'll admit that just being able to see him was exciting for me. I'll admit the decks messing up really was bad form but the dj didnt really seem to work too hard to pull it together. It wasnt a terrible night (however I might feel different If i had coughed up the 25euro). But for a long term fan like me hearing skills live made me a happy camper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I think Guru should stop peddling the Gangstarr name without DJ Premier.

Advertisement