Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pagan Soc?

Options
  • 22-10-2004 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

recently I have been having a lot of doubts about my western beliefs. I feel that Catholicism is out of touch with the needs of a young vibrant population. I have a lot of untapped energy which I need to put into a loose spirituality, which makes no claims what so ever

I have been seeing a lot of posters around about Pagan soc and I am interested. But what does it mean to be a Pagan?
    What must i do? Is it moral?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

there is a pagan section here on boards,
    and there are many many websites out there on the many types of paganism.
    the gerneral over view is an earth based spiritual path.

why not go to a meeting and ask.
    or try find Neil who chairs the pagan soc and corner him with questions.

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Waestrel

i was referring to the UCD pagan soc, thats whi posted it here.

A lot of their members wear black, which makes strong statements about their conection to satan, is that not correct?

why not go to a meeting and ask.
    or try find Neil who chairs the pagan soc and corner him with questionsQUOTE]

No way! the'd put a hex on me!

Joke, BTW....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭elbee

I know most of the people involved and they wear black because it doesn't show spilled coffee :) Personally, I always thought of black as having more connection to Darth Vader than Satan.

If you're interested, they're selling tickets to the Samhain Ball in the Arts block all week, outside Theatre L. Go along to the stand and say hi if you're interested in learning more about paganism.

You ask in your original post "What must I do?" The answer to that question in almost every situation in life is "Find out more"! I wish you luck with it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

I have a lot of untapped energy which I need to put into a loose spirituality, which makes no claims what so ever

Alas my friend, you may now proceed with the sacrafical mutilation, of a hamster or small rabbit. ;)

• Advertisement

Also what is Pagan socs views on religous symbols? as I said I am not bound by the confines of traditional denominational religions. I find its stifling attitude offensive to my free spirit. I personally find people wearing symbols of organised religon highly offfensive. Keep your hate filled bigotry away from me.

I do however keep a non-denominational ankh on me, as a ward aginst evil, a charm for good luck and a nod towards my loose spiritualality. This defines who I am, and I could not bear to be parted from it. Would this cause any problems? I simply am not self actualised without it! I have dabbled in things like tribal mystecism and meditation, but none have worked, and I hope this may be able to answer deep meaningful questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Waestrel wrote:
    i was referring to the UCD pagan soc, thats whi posted it here.

A lot of their members wear black, which makes strong statements about their conection to satan, is that not correct?

Ok so this type comment kinda makes me think you're just talking the pi$$, what the fu(k seriously what you basing this on? (my apologies if you were just being ironic\sarcastic)

*but just in case* I've worn black long before I ever joined PaganSoc, and I -NEVER- believed in Satan

You're giving the impression you're interested so I suggest you come along tuesday to the Samhain party. I'll wear somethin colourful on the stand next time just for you ;)

If your posts have been anyway serious then you should enjoy PaganSoc. Paganism isn't a religion, you can wear whatever symbols you want, and if you're not wearing any no-ones gonna judge ya! Seriously man its the only society I joined that ended up being worthwhile, PM me if ya wanna meet me beforehand or anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Angelo

I would join a Pagan Soc only if they made human sacrifices.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Waestrel wrote:
    Also what is Pagan socs views on religous symbols? as I said I am not bound by the confines of traditional denominational religions. I find its stifling attitude offensive to my free spirit. I personally find people wearing symbols of organised religon highly offfensive. Keep your hate filled bigotry away from me.

I do however keep a non-denominational ankh on me, as a ward aginst evil, a charm for good luck and a nod towards my loose spiritualality. This defines who I am, and I could not bear to be parted from it. Would this cause any problems? I simply am not self actualised without it! I have dabbled in things like tribal mystecism and meditation, but none have worked, and I hope this may be able to answer deep meaningful questions.
    That is such bullsh1t you must be trolling. What a load of **** :rolleyes: !
    Angelo wrote:
    I would join a Pagan Soc only if they made human sacrifices.
    Yes, Waestrel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Waestrel wrote:

Why not set up your own religion and call it pretentiousism ?
    You are looking for a religion to completely validate your complete lack of
    respect for other religions why not skip the pagan society and see if there is
    a nazi society in UCD ! :rolleyes:

Mods sorry if this seems dogmatic and insulting but this person has to be
    taking the piss with this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

you're questioning the morality of joining another religion.

Don't confuse satanism with paganism

Those lads would wear black regardless

Neil is a good guy, is putting a lot of effort into pagan soc this year and would be delighted by genuine interest. He is a wicca (sp) himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

elbee wrote:
    I know most of the people involved and they wear black because it doesn't show spilled coffee :) Personally, I always thought of black as having more connection to Darth Vader than Satan.

If you're interested, they're selling tickets to the Samhain Ball in the Arts block all week, outside Theatre L. Go along to the stand and say hi if you're interested in learning more about paganism.

You ask in your original post "What must I do?" The answer to that question in almost every situation in life is "Find out more"! I wish you luck with it :)
    I wear black because it goes with everything. Or at least it does if everything else you wear is black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

Wow, you must completely share a brain with Neil Gaiman or something! Excellent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

No, but we do lack flair when it comes to clothes and use the same strategy to arrive at outfits that at least match.

For a while I avoided wearing black because it's so stereotypical for Pagans, especially Witches, to wear that colour (though the other Pagan stereotype - of brightly coloured somewhat "hippyish" clothing is probably more representative) but decided that not wearing what I want to avoid the stereotype is just as silly as wearing it to deliberately fit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭NeilJ

In defense of our members very few of them do wear just black and those that do tend to because they're too lazy to try to make an effort colour coordinating their wardrobes. But seriously if you wanna know more about the society just visit our website at http://pagansoc.netsoc.com on it you'll find links to past events, our fresher's magazine Paths as well as a newly formed discussion board where you can chat to members and ask questions to the committee.

BB,
    Neil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭sroberts82

Waestrel wrote:
    I personally find people wearing symbols of organised religon highly offfensive. Keep your hate filled bigotry away from me.
    QUOTE]

I was just wondering why you see symbols of organised religion to be filled with hate and representative of biggotry?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

ok, im not in ucd (yet) nor am i a pagan, infact im a scientist/atheist. seeing religious symbols doesnt stir me, but they do have an imposing nature on some. i wouldnt take it to the extremes the french have done by removing them from society altogether, but i feel that these symbols can often bring out the worst in people. the cross, the crescent, the pentagram, stars, its all just imagery imo and i feel it means very little whether you wear it or not, to you, but to others it may be intimidating...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Ah Neil how are you. Wondered how long it would take you to find this place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭NeilJ

One of my black wearing satanic members stumbled on this site googling for our society website and pointed me in this direction.

Neil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

I am an active member of the UCD Pagan Society.
    I do not consider myself to be a pagan.
    I dont put labels on my faith/spirituality.
    I dont wear religious symbols.
    I do wear black a fair bit.
    I have found the UCD Pagan Society meetings a really good place where I can openly discuss with others my thoughts on all things spiritual, in a very open way, and without being met with prejudice.
    I have never heard the phrase "What a load of **** !" being used in a Pagan Socitey discussion, and I have never found it to be pretentious.
    Larry.

• Advertisement
Advertisement