Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registering Domain...

Options
  • 22-10-2004 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

History: Hi all, very long time since i've posted to boards.ie (lack of connection would do that to someone!) ... Anyways, I've had an account for space with hosting365.ie for over 2 years now, never did much on it, simple pages everynow and again...

Current Problem: I signed up for a .com domain last Tuesday but I'd say I never registered correctly, I didn't know what a dns meant, so I just put in where I wanted the url to point to.

However, I realised Wednesday what most things meant as I read F.A.Q.s and the likes and went back in to edit the domain name servers that day to hosting365's ones dns1 and dns2.hosting365.ie, problem is its still not coming up with a page and the registrar must of been updated since... I also set the redirect of the domain to go to my ...site/index.htm.

Am I doing something wrong or should I give it a few more days?

I'd contact hosting365's helpline, but I'd say they're closed for sleep! ... Any help would be much appreciated! :D Thanks in advance, Williewww.djwilliec.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Changes will take a day or two (or slightly longer in extreme cases) to traverse the 'net. Also, have you registered the domain with H365? As in, do they know about your domain .. because, if not, their DNS servers won't work, and your website won't work either.

So if you have registered with H365, I'd say wait for their support to come back on line and ask them ... if you haven't, double check that their domain/web servers are set up to host that domain.

If you need further help, give us the domain name, so we can troubleshoot the DNS for you.

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

The redirect is wrong. This is what comes up

wcroke.u27.hosting365.ie/djwilliec/index.htm/

I am not familiar with H365's system but the index.htm file should be in the root directory and it should be automatically picked up. The sub directory djwilliec/index.htm/ does not exist on the server. The DNS seems ok - otherwise www.djwilliec.com would not work. Change the redirect to wcroke.u27.hosting365.ie/ and put the index.htm in the top directory to see if it works.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Jayzuz I'm blind .. didn't see the domain sorry .. so yeah JMcC is right .. its the trailing / on the redirect http://wcroke.u27.hosting365.ie/djwilliec/index.htm works fine.

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭FatB

Yep, just checked back now, came up straight away, have to fix the root thingy, I was the one that set it to go to wcroke.u27.hosting365.ie/djwilliec/index.htm which would mean that it now thinks that index.htm is a folder :) (p.s. I have 3 site folders on it so djwilliec will be the root folder for my own site?) My fault... I'll learn as I go along... Thanks for the advice, but now that I have ye here, is there anyway that I can get it to stay at www.djwilliec.com and not actually show all the wcroke..... stuff as it don't look the same... I've set the link as a redirect so that could be why its doing it, is there any other way of setting it to go where I want it to?

Came across this though, not sure if it helps, its provided courtesy of hosting365.ie (before anyone thinks I wrote it lol)

I still cant get much from it, I know that it has to be possible to get the url to stay in the address bar, but I dont even know where to start! :confused: There is way too much info to trawl through and try to get my head around!

What is Managed DNS?

The Domain Name System [DNS] is a distributed database, arranged hierarchically, containing records for domain names. The DNS system's main aim is to match a domain name to an IP Address. In order to fulfill this role, the DNS Server contains Records [called as Resource Records] in a Zone File, which contains the domain name and IP address mappings for computers contained within that Zone. All Resource Records have a TTL [Time To Live], specifying the number of seconds other DNS servers and applications are allowed to cache the record.

Most Web Hosting companies, do not provide you with an interface to manage your own DNS Records and/or the ability to select multiple providers for various Services like Web Hosting, Mail Hosting, etc.

365 Hosting Ltd. gives you complete control over the following Resource Records by using our Managed DNS Service:

Address Record [A Record] - The A Record is the most basic and the most important DNS record type. They are used to translate human friendly domain names such as "www.domain.com" into IP-addresses such as 1.2.3.4 (machine friendly numbers).

When you wish to host your domain name, you will be provided with an IP address that needs to be set as an A Record for that particular domain name. I'm on a shared I.P. so I wouldn't say I'll be able to do this if it would of helped...

Mail Exchanger [MX] Record - An MX Record identifies the mail server(s) responsible for a domain name. When sending an e-mail to user@xyz.com, your mail server must first look up the MX Record for xyz.com to see which mail server actually handles mail for xyz.com (this could be mail.xyz.com - or someone else's mail server like mail.isp.com). Then it looks up the A Record for the mail server to connect to its IP-address.

An MX Record has a Preference number indicating the order in which the mail server should be used (only relevant when multiple MX Records are defined for the same domain name). Mail servers will attempt to deliver mail to the server with the lowest preference number first, and if unsuccessful continue with the next lowest and so on.

Canonimical Name [Alias / CNAME] Record - CNAME Records are domain name aliases. Often computers on the Internet have multiple functions such as Web Server, FTP Server, Chat Server, etc. To mask this, CNAME Records can be used, to give a single computer multiple names (aliases).

Sometimes a single server computer hosts many different domain names (take ISPs), and so CNAME Records may be defined such as www.abc.com = www.xyz.com.This MIGHT have something to do with getting it to to url stick, but i dont wanna mess with things till I'm sure I aint going to make a dogs dinner of things!

The most popular use of the CNAME Record type, is to provide access to a Web Server using both the standard www.domain.com and domain.com (without the www). This is usually done by creating an A Record for the short name (without www), and a CNAME-record for the www name pointing to the short name.

CNAME Records can also be used when a computer or service needs to be renamed, to temporarily allow access through both the old and new name.

Authoritative Name Server [NS] Record - NS Records identify DNS servers responsible (authoritative) for a Zone. A Zone should contain one NS Record for each of its own DNS servers (primary and secondaries). This mostly is used for Zone Transfer purposes (notify). These NS Records have the same name as the Zone in which they are located.

But the most important function of the NS Record is Delegation. Delegation means that part of a domain is delegated to other DNS servers.

You can also delegate sub-domains of your own domain name (such as subdomain.yourname.com) to other DNS servers. An NS Record identifies the name of a DNS server, not the IP Address. Because of this, it is important that an A Record for the referenced DNS server exists, otherwise there may not be any way to find that DNS server and communicate with it.

If an NS Record delegates a sub-domain (subdomain.yourname.com) to a DNS Server with a name in that sub-domain (ns1.subdomain.yourname.com), an A Record for that server (ns1.subdomain.yourname.com) must exist in the Parent Zone (yourname.com). This A Record is referred to as a Glue Record, because it doesn't really belong in the Parent Zone, but is necessary to locate the DNS Server for the delegated sub-domain.

Start of Authority [SOA] Record - Each Zone contains one SOA Record, which holds the following properties for the Zone

Name of Primary DNS Server
    The domain name of the Primary DNS Server for the Zone. The Zone should contain a matching NS Record.

Mailbox of the Responsible Person
    The email address of the person responsible for maintenance of the Zone.

Serial Number
    Used by Secondary DNS Servers to check if the Zone has changed. If the Serial Number is higher than what the Secondary Server has, a Zone Transfer will be initiated. This number is automatically increased by our Servers when changes to the Zone or its Records are made.

Refresh Interval
    How often Secondary DNS Servers should check if changes are made to the zone.

Retry Interval
    How often Secondary DNS Server should retry checking, if changes are made - if the first refresh fails.

Expire Interval
    How long the Zone will be valid after a refresh. Secondary Servers will discard the Zone if no refresh could be made within this interval.

Minimum (default) TTL
    Used as the default TTL for new records created within the zone. Also used by other DNS Server to cache negative responses (such as record does not exist, etc.).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

It's just an explanation of how DNS works combined with a view of how that fits into their setup.
    If their DNS has records for your domain then you shouldn't be using a redirect.
    The redirect would be used if you registered the domain through a company and wanted to point it at a free Eircom account eg. eircom.net/~username (or similar)
    If you have a hosting account that allows multiple domains you don't need this.

Thanks lads, I'd say I know where to go from here! I'm sorry bout not being able to reply quickly but I was kinda busy! Hopefully when the new year comes I'll be able to get time to use boards.ie more again! :)

Advertisement