Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which oil?

Options
  • 22-10-2004 9:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Beamer told me earlier today it was thirsty, but I ain't got a manual and I haven't a clue what kind of oil I should be putting in it. Anyone know offhand before I go Googling? It's an E34 525i.

EDIT: bmwe34.net seems to suggest 10W-30, would that be right?

adam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

If you are doing a top up try finding out from you garage what type of oil they used last time you got your service done.

If you are going to change it all togheter, I suggest leave it to the mechanics, just in case something goes wrong. At least you have somebody to blame for.

Also a good motorfactors will recommend you the best you need if you ask for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Adam dont get caught up in the oil viscosity arms race. Buy 15-40 muiltigrade and be done with it. Its an aging car with a hardy engine. It dont need fettleing with thin stuff that'll proberly drop straight through!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

if it`s using, eg burning, oil you could try synthetic oil as it does`nt tend to burn and foul up your plugs and valves. its a bit more expensive but in the long run it`s worth it. as for make of oil i tend to go for valvoline, castrol or any known name. there`s a good motor factors near you, dixons on anglesea street.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,395 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Adam, 10W-40 semi-synth is your man :)

Provided you don't have any major leaks? How much do you have to put in per month or per 1000 miles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just to add as unkel noted, do you have a leak or is it a scheduled change?
    Also worry more about getting a proper oil filter than the quality of the oil (any major brand will do).

Mike.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

to thinly graded oil may seep through the gaskets on these old engines.
    10W30 or 10W40 are fine - also change it every 3 to 5k!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

mike65 wrote:
    Just to add as unkel noted, do you have a leak or is it a scheduled change?
    I doubt there's a leak Mike, just a top up I'd say. Haven't even dipped it yet tbh, it's the car telling me. I'll have a look tomorrow.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

kbannon wrote:
    to thinly graded oil may seep through the gaskets on these old engines.
    10W30 or 10W40 are fine - also change it every 3 to 5k!

3-5k this is 525i not Yamaha R1 with spinning 14000 rpm :D

Well you have the service lights in your car so they will tell you. Maybe I just drive hard but I found on my E30 (which has M20 engine <assume> like your car </assume>) the oil thinning too quickly and it always felt much more 'relaxed' after an oil change. I used to use SS 10W30.

• Advertisement

Heh, I was just looking over this thread again. So far I have the following recommendations:
    • 10W-30 (bmwe34.net)
    • 15W-40 MG (mike65)
    • 10W-40 SS (unkel)
    • 10W-30 (GModified)
    • 10W-30/40 (kbannon)
    Anyone else? :)

adam

Haynes manual suggests any multigrade (10W30 to 20W50) to API SG
    Bentley (E30) & Chiltons Manual suggests any multigrade (10W30 to 20W50) to API SE or SF (covered cars to 1988!)
    It won't really matter whether you go for 10W30 or 10W40 as they should be quite similar and suitable.
    Read The Engine Oil Bible (which also suggests to change oil every 5k miles!)

kbannon wrote:
    Now dat's what I'm talkin' 'bout.
    (which also suggests to change oil every 5k miles!)
    It's only done a few thousand since I bought it (@83.5k), and it seems to've been fully serviced just beforehand, so I reckon I'll bring it to the Nice Man @90k. Assuming it doesn't swallow this oil and ask for more a week later.

adam

Advertisement