Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripwave works

• 22-10-2004 9:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭

just got ethernet ripwave and it works a treat! Not sure what download speeds are but it seems fairly fast. Man I am so happy.........................

I knew the USB modem was faulty......................

:)

Moo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭toil

where are you based moojuice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Moojuice wrote:
    just got ethernet ripwave and it works a treat! Not sure what download speeds are but it seems fairly fast. Man I am so happy.........................

I knew the USB modem was faulty......................

:)

Moo
    U know i had a usb modem and i culdve sworn that was faulty, i would dissconnectitself from windows. Wat problems were u having with the usb one???? any problems with the ethernet version??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

gline wrote:
    U know i had a usb modem and i culdve sworn that was faulty, i would dissconnectitself from windows. Wat problems were u having with the usb one???? any problems with the ethernet version??

My ripwave modem had a doggy USB-B connector. I stuck a pen between it and the power socket to push the USB connector against the contacts (the pen was held in place by the power plug and the USB plug) . When I did this the modem worked.

I have since changed to an ethernet modem which works well.

wow sounds dodgy as hell, hahaah

Forgot to mention that the Ethernet plugs tend to get stuck in the sockets.

Thats one way to tie customers in to your service any way!

The only way to get them out that I know of is to use something long and thin like an electrical screwdriver to push down the clasp just at the point where it meets the socket. Again well dodgy.

• Advertisement

ah a lot of ethernet plugs are like that, it just makes sure it is in the whole way and gud contact is being made, it is better then a loose plug (they are really annoying)

I should probably post anonymous when writing this, because IBB probably wont like it, but I'm thinking of getting an outdoor enclosure for my Ripwave modem.

I presume I could get a plastic enclosure that would keep it perfectly dry.

At the moment I keep it outside on the window ledge when it is not raining. It won't lock on at all inside but then if it starts raining and I take it in it will keep its amber signal for about three hours.

Thats wat a lot of guys are doing, it is a good idea. Man it doesnt sound like its working hat well, if it goes down a t all its not that gud and in amber all the time. A broadband connection is ALWAYS ON, its no good if it cuts off regularly enough.

When it is outside my window I get a continuous green light. I've had it out there for up to about 12 hours with no problems.

The only other options I have are the more expensive wireless packages and possibly DSL.

If Eircom never darken my door again it will be too soon.

The line blew down in the wind last year and they made us fix it. As soon as I get a VOIP number I'm getting the snips out.

ballooba wrote:
    When it is outside my window I get a continuous green light. I've had it out there for up to about 12 hours with no problems.

The only other options I have are the more expensive wireless packages and possibly DSL.

If Eircom never darken my door again it will be too soon.

The line blew down in the wind last year and they made us fix it. As soon as I get a VOIP number I'm getting the snips out.

HEHEHE, no1 likes eircom, they suk. I hate monopolys. Then i would make a water proof box with plenty of space for ventilation, if u get a green light all the time out in d cold

• Advertisement

Yeah, my brother deals in factory automation and radio modems and all that craic.

I reckon he should be able to get me something that would work well.

I'm going to have to paint it to blend in with the red brick so that the neighbours don't start whinging.

ballooba wrote:
    Yeah, my brother deals in factory automation and radio modems and all that craic.

I reckon he should be able to get me something that would work well.

I'm going to have to paint it to blend in with the red brick so that the neighbours don't start whinging.
    U must have crappy neighbours. putting a box outside isnt as bad as me, i am gettin IBB to install an aerial on d roof of the house my flat is in, im not even asking my landlord for premission, im just hoping he doesnt see it, he's rarely at the house anyway, i dont think he would mind anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Just hang it out the window in a plastic bag within a plastic bag within a plastic bag :D

Or else "customise" a fake plastic flowerpot or hanging basket and put the Ripwave in it.

M

Thats actually a good idea , i like that 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

USB modem would loose its signal once I plugged it in to the USB port. It got a signal no problem but lost it when connected to the pc. Ethernet seems to be ok, bit of trouble but tech support are trying to sort it. Only mananged a red light so far thought it did go amber for a few seconds as I was moving it around. Might try and disconnect the antena and put it up outside using a coaxial cable as described in another thread. Still its nice to have some conenction at long last.

Moo

ok now it doesnt work. It connects for about 10 minutes and then flashes red for about an hour or two.

GODAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moo

Moojuice wrote:
    ok now it doesnt work. It connects for about 10 minutes and then flashes red for about an hour or two.

GODAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moo
    U spoke too soon, lol :D

Don't do the plastic bag thing, the modem overheats!!!

I took my modem in for the day given that there is a hurricane outside.

Hung from the top of my window by string... normally 6foot lower on the window sill.

From this window I usually get intermittent red and flashing. Today I was getting continuous orange.

Could moojuice's dodgy connection be blamed on the weather?

ballooba wrote:
    Don't do the plastic bag thing, the modem overheats!!!

I took my modem in for the day given that there is a hurricane outside.

Hung from the top of my window by string... normally 6foot lower on the window sill.

From this window I usually get intermittent red and flashing. Today I was getting continuous orange.

Could moojuice's dodgy connection be blamed on the weather?
    I think it can be blamed on being ripwave, its like that, u cannot trust the connection

Eircom are sending out an engineer. I am going to get DSL as the Ripwavee connects but is only slightly faster than DIal up. Its ridiculous. No decent speeds at all. Does any one else have this problem? I would love nothing better to do with eircom but IBB have forced my hand.

MOO

• Advertisement

Moojuice wrote:
    Eircom are sending out an engineer. I am going to get DSL as the Ripwavee connects but is only slightly faster than DIal up. Its ridiculous. No decent speeds at all. Does any one else have this problem? I would love nothing better to do with eircom but IBB have forced my hand.

MOO
    Had the same problem, thats why it was sent back and i am upgrading to the 1 meg lite connection

Moojuice wrote:

MOO

With a red light you get a connection somewhat similar to dial-up in speed.

yeah it seems so. Ill see what speeds I get tonight after work. The diag software shows the quality going up and down but the signal strength staying the same in the red. I am going to ring tech support tonight and see what transmitter I am on and ill ask if they can try me on another one.

Moo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

I recieved my gear today and it worked first time. The signal strength is weak though. I'll try it upstairs later though. I'm based in Santry.
    I'm happy with it so far though....dialup sucks ass.

Wats dial up, hahahahah :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Fibonacci

I'm typically speeds that slightly better than dial-up (6-9 kb/a) on a red lights, and sometimes on orange a bit higher....

Sorta sucks but is my only option :(

My light stays red all the time upstairs too but I'm downloading at about 20/30kbps. might try it at the rear of the house as I think the mast is in that direction. Does anyone know what mast is BTS 150?

I know that 3 rock is 246. SO 150 is either RTE or Guiness store house. I am on leeson street but the ripwave picks up the signal from 3 rock. yeah thats smart.

MOo

Moojuice we should start a campaign for the Sugar Company ripwave tower!!!

(Sugar Club is based in the Sugar Company's building down opposite mulligan's).

• Advertisement

This should be the mast I'm on by the looks of the coverage

http://www.irishbroadband.ie/htmdocs/coverage_maps/Ballymun%20Navini%201%20rev%20b.jpg

Advertisement