Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripwave works

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Id give up on ripwave, everyone ive heard of thats had it has had problems, including myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Ardent

Moojuice wrote:
    I know that 3 rock is 246. SO 150 is either RTE or Guiness store house. I am on leeson street but the ripwave picks up the signal from 3 rock. yeah thats smart.

MOo

I wonder if there's a way to specify which mast the modem should lock on to. That would cut down on the length of time it takes to find a suitable mast and lock on.

I dont think there is mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

ballooba wrote:
    Moojuice we should start a campaign for the Sugar Company ripwave tower!!!

(Sugar Club is based in the Sugar Company's building down opposite mulligan's).

HA HA !! yeah it would be cool. But knowing IBB it still wouldnt work or would lock on to 3 Rock. Go figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

gline wrote:
    I dont think there is mate

I know that you had problems with ripwave and thus are pissed off with it. Even so you are ridiculously negative about it. You are answering a question there when you have no idea about it.

Yes there is a way. IBB do it from there end, my modem is set up at the moment to prefer the 140 tranmitter on RTE but is also set to be nomadic between RTE 130 and Three Rock. They can however set my modem to only use RTE 140.

At the moment I have a consistent amber signal to Three Rock which has been connected since friday evening (4 days?).

• Advertisement

ballooba wrote:
    I know that you had problems with ripwave and thus are pissed off with it. Even so you are ridiculously negative about it. You are answering a question there when you have no idea about it.

Yes there is a way. IBB do it from there end, my modem is set up at the moment to prefer the 140 tranmitter on RTE but is also set to be nomadic between RTE 130 and Three Rock. They can however set my modem to only use RTE 140.

At the moment I have a consistent amber signal to Three Rock which has been connected since friday evening (4 days?).
    "I wonder if there's a way to specify which mast the modem should lock on to. That would cut down on the length of time it takes to find a suitable mast and lock on."

I know they can do it their end, but there is no way of doing it yourself. And your bragging about 4 days internet???? thats crap, it should be on 24/7 without having to worry at all about it cutting out, it is supposed to be always on interernet access, it is not a relaiable service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Really intereseted in the ripwave discussion. I received my pack last week. So far the best I have got in the Clonskea area is a continuous red light but more often than not I get the flashing led. On Sunday night I tried it in the attic running off an extension cable and got continuous green. I have ordered a wireless router and over the weekend will run a proper power cable up to the attic. Hopefully after all of this I get the speeds that I want.

Those of you who have achieved a green led - what speeds are you getting? Will all my effort be worth it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

gline wrote:
    "I wonder if there's a way to specify which mast the modem should lock on to. That would cut down on the length of time it takes to find a suitable mast and lock on."

I know they can do it their end, but there is no way of doing it yourself.

I'm not looking for an argument but that is not what the poster asked. They never mentioned being able to do it themselves.

4 Days is the longest i have left it all powered up etc. I'm a bit paranoid about fire as I had a fire in my house last year. Dry powder extinguishers are the devil.

Wireless is the only realistic option for me. NTL will be arriving in Ranelagh sometime in 2008.

My eircom line is taken from a pole and the link is quite dodgy as it goes across someone's garden and their big trees. I doubt it would be possible to get DSL over this even if I wanted to deal with those c*nts.

I argued with the technician for about 2 months and had the area manager out to try and get them to put it underground. Most of the people on my street want the lines underground but eircom won't do it as all the staff are shareholders and want to keep the costs down.

[edit] on a happier note: see attachment[/edit]

Ah im not looking for an arguement too dude, Im just pissed off with IBB, waiting and waiting and waiting, and being screwed around, glad u got a good service with ripwave, but u are one of the very few who i have heard that has, let me know how it goes in time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

Got my ripwave pack yesterday. Not hugely impressed with it, average download speed from Opera is 9-10k but what I am impressed with is if the download another file i will get 9-10k on that one as well.

At the min I’m getting a continuous red light. Although last night I downloaded ~500mb :D

downloading from winMX was good, had 4-5 files downloading at the same time and getting about 30 -40k total, So it will do at the minute, cos there nothing better in my rented house.

Surfing is basically the same speed as work (T3 connection).

Ping rates are embarrassing 190 -390ms

• Advertisement

What area are u in???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

gline wrote:
    U know i had a usb modem and i culdve sworn that was faulty, i would dissconnectitself from windows. Wat problems were u having with the usb one???? any problems with the ethernet version??

i got a usb modem last week, crashed all 3 computers I connected it too and after the first day stopped working. Currently waiting on them to send out an ethernet modem. Hope it works better.

sprinkles wrote:
    i got a usb modem last week, crashed all 3 computers I connected it too and after the first day stopped working. Currently waiting on them to send out an ethernet modem. Hope it works better.

I had a USB modem too, caused me nothing but heartache before eventually packing in. Got IBB to send me a replacement ethernet modem which works reasonably well.

I still get disconnected randomly and I get lousy speeds at times but, when it's working, speeds are typically around 55k/s. Reasonably satisfied with the Ripwave service.

Edit: When I say disconnected I mean the modem loses the signal from the IBB mast for a while.

Yep in a previous thread another guy had problems with the usb one too, i wish i would have asked them for an ethernet modem before sending it back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

gline wrote:
    What area are u in???
    Lucan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I finally got a replacement USB modem after nearly 2 months and it's still disconnecting randomly (from the USB port) and crashing my PC. Wish I'd got Ethernet. But there's no way I'm giving it back to wait another two months and a thousand phone calls. I swear I know everyone in support by name now. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Hmmmm.... I was thinking about getting Ripwave but since wading through all the posts about it on this forum, it seems to be a really bad product.

The problem is that my phone line isn't up to scratch and NTL haven't made broadband available here yet.

Ripwave looked like a good option, but now ....

Anyone got any suggestions ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Tazz T wrote:
    I finally got a replacement USB modem after nearly 2 months and it's still disconnecting randomly (from the USB port) and crashing my PC. Wish I'd got Ethernet. But there's no way I'm giving it back to wait another two months and a thousand phone calls. I swear I know everyone in support by name now. :rolleyes:

Only had my modem a week and I think I'm familiar with most people in the support office. Not giving back the modem til i get an ethernet one. Should have it today hopefully. Seems to be a common problem that the usb modem keeps crashing the computers. Really annoying!

Hmmmm.... I was thinking about getting Ripwave but since wading through all the posts about it on this forum, it seems to be a really bad product.

The problem is that my phone line isn't up to scratch and NTL haven't made broadband available here yet.

Ripwave looked like a good option, but now ....

Anyone got any suggestions ?
    Go for the breeze lite 1meg connection, ive heard mostly good things about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 smythwj

anyone had any good, or at least usable, experiences with ripwave in booterstown - apparently I'm right on the edge of their coverage from the rte tower which I suppose is not a good sign...

• Advertisement

Hmmmm???? i'd be weary, at least get it and try it out they are ok with refunding and taking back the modem if it doesnt work satisfactorily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

What Gline said.
    I'm right on the edge of my coverage and I'm now getting a pretty constent orange after playing around with the position etc. Happy enough so far.

Behold, I got the fabled steady green light this morning! I was checking the progress of a download after I got up and when I looked over at the modem I was thinking "It's broke - no red/orange light or anything?". It was only when I look closer I saw it was in fact green (FWIW, having a green light had no bearing on my connection speed which was the same as usual).

Anyway, it's not a myth after all! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I'm pretty much in despair..

Has anyone managed to go from a flashing red light to a reliable connection by playing around with the location at all?

I got a ripwave modem yesterday to check it out once more and the best I can get is a solid red light for about 3 seconds maybe once or twice a minute.

Otherwise its just a flashing red led.

I've tried it downstairs, I've tried it upstairs at the window facing the direction of the mast with no luck, the best I've had is this 3 second lock at the window upstairs at the back of the house (furthest away from the mast).

Any idea what kind of aerial might be connected to the ripwave to try and get a better connection? I had a quick look at it last night and tried a spare Orinoco range extender aerial but the connections din't fit (and I wasn't going to force them).

machalla wrote:

Has anyone managed to go from a flashing red light to a reliable connection by playing around with the location at all?

I got a ripwave modem yesterday to check it out once more and the best I can get is a solid red light for about 3 seconds maybe once or twice a minute.

I've tried it downstairs, I've tried it upstairs at the window facing the direction of the mast with no luck, the best I've had is this 3 second lock at the window upstairs at the back of the house (furthest away from the mast).

Any idea what kind of aerial might be connected to the ripwave to try and get a better connection? I had a quick look at it last night and tried a spare Orinoco range extender aerial but the connections din't fit (and I wasn't going to force them).

When I first got mine I had to put it out on the balcony to get a signal. Now, I have it inside - on the window sill. If I move it near to where the PC is, I won't get any signal whatsoever. Non-line-of-sight my arse. I still get a dropped connection every now and again but I can live with it, not worth getting the modem wet over it.

I say try the modem in as many places as possible and remember that it can take up to 2 hours for it to eventually lock on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 smythwj

The Edge - what sort of speeds do you get with steady orange. (also, presumably green indicates best connection, then orange, then red?). where are you based? is there any difference between the masts - booterstown is on the edge of rte.

With the orange light i'm getting a max of about 60 KB/s....I might have got that speed while red but maybe for only a minute or two. I'm based in Santry (BTS 150) I'm actually facing away from the mast as it's the back of the house. Yet to test it in that direction. I did see a green light for a few seconds mind. Check out the map....my house is the red dot in relation to the mast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Set up my ripwave in the attic with a wireless router and its works brilliantly. Green LED as soon as I plugged it in. Excellent signal all over the house and my neighbour is now using my connection. Pretty Nifty system - am well impressed.

I thought of that but I imagined the signal would have been worse than that at the window. Might give it a go now so. :D

• Advertisement

machalla wrote:

Dude i had the same problem, i HAD to send it back. IBB tell u if u cannot get a signal send it back and they will refund u, there is nothing they r u can do if it does not work

Advertisement