Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A perfect circle - Emotive

Options
  • 22-10-2004 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

Emotive !!!!? when the hell was this in the making of !

any of hear it yet!?

" With “eMOTIVe,” A Perfect Circle restore rock ‘n’ roll to its revolutionary roots by throwing a 12-megaton musical bomb in the face of the ruling class. Described by APC’s Maynard James Keenan as “a collection of songs about war, peace, love and greed,” the astonishing set blends all-new original material with a provocative selection of cover versions. The tracks chosen bridge three decades of protest songs, spanning an array of genres – hardcore punk and heavy metal, new wave and Delta blues, folk rock and rhythm & blues. Among the insurgent classics reinterpreted on “eMOTIVe” are John Lennon’s “Imagine,” Marvin Gaye’s “What’s Going On,” Memphis Minnie’s blues stomper, “When The Levee Breaks” (made famous by Led Zeppelin), Depeche Mode’s “People Are People,” Devo’s “Freedom Of Choice,” Black Flag’s “Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie,” Fear’s “Let’s Have A War,” Joni Mitchell’s “Fiddle And The Drum,” and the Nick Lowe (by way of Elvis Costello) anti-anthem, “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding.” The album kicks off with an explosive take on “Annihilation,” originally recorded by Berkeley aggro-punk legends, Crucifix. The eMOTIVe release is a limited edition special package that includes a lenticular cover. "
    http://www.aperfectcircle.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Yup, heard of it a good while ago. Listened to Counting Bodies Like Sheep To The Rhythm Of The War Drums and I quite like it, however their version of Imagine didn't really do anything for me. Still might buy it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

when did it get released, do you know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

This is a very cool album.. I downloaded it last night on bit torrent and have already listened to it three times today. its basically a covers album with the odd remix. 13th step was a grower, but I loved this instantly. I can't wait to have the actual cd though because I pre-ordered it last night from aperfectcircle.com where you can get a t-shirt/cd bundle for $24 (shipping was $15 though)

The choice of covers are inspired... imagine is excellent, although I know a lot of people don't like it, I don't know why because I think apc did a geat job and the point and tone of the cover is so appropriate for right now. The Devo and marvin gaye cover are especially good too. This is really excellent stuff, its the best release (proper album or not) from any band I've heard in ages. Its out on Nov 2, same day as the US presidential elections :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭begbie

I've never really been too interested in listening to this band from songs i've heard. I don't listen to "Tool" either. Would someone recommend some listening for a newcomer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Depends on what kind of music you like. There's a good bit of variation. Imho the first album was miles better than the second, but that's because it's much darker (not heavier, but darker. As in, less happy, more angry/thoughtful). The second is probably more "accessible".

Some good starting points:
    3 Libras
    The Hollow
    Judith
    Weak and Powerless
    Blue
    The Outsider
    Pet

and, the most beautiful song ever written, Orestes.

Oh, and by the way, they really are quite dissimilar to Tool. They have the same lead singer, but the music is very, very different. Equally as good, but in a completely different way.

As for eMOTIVe, I heard about it recently enough. Counting bodies like sheep is just a (bad) remix of Pet, so don't bother downloading it. Imagine, though, is very well done, major chords replaced with diminished and all that. And MJK's voice sounds better than I've ever heard it (on an album anyway).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i love passive, its one of those albums you need to buy and listen the whole way through because ive downloaded it and im not feeling it, it sounds all over the place, i think i have it on shuffle.
    Gonna buy it.

begbie get Judith, Magneleda, Weak and Powerless, Outsider, Blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

From what I've heard from it the cd seems to be a bit of a contract filler. There's a dvd coming out too. That sounds interesting

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I like it alot, some fantastic songs. It's not an "apc album" as such, but it's still a great listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i'm not going to download any tracks, i'm just going to wait for it to come out. build some tension etc. the dvd also sounds very promising...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Dying to hear it. God bless 1500K broadband... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

I quite like :
    Passive, Gimme Gimme Gimme, Imagine, Lets have a War and Annihilation.

Seems like THE war touched a nerve with them.
    Cant imagine it being very popular in America but I think its a solid album. Not a touch on 13th Step though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

for anyone interested, I read today that there is an animated video to "counting bodies like sheep" on the website (www.aperfectcircle.com).

Just go into 'music' and 'watch'. Theres also one for Imagine.
    (I love the front page image... Dont be concerned.. Stick to your daily routine")

flogen

I got the cd yesterday. I've listened to it twice and I must say, Imagine has grown on me. I can only hope the rest does as well. It is one of the worst cd's I've heard in a long time. Soooooooo disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Sonic Titan

I love their last album and will defo be getting this. Are they straight cover's or are they heavy in a Perfect Circle kind of way?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

I love their last album and will defo be getting this. Are they straight cover's or are they heavy in a Perfect Circle kind of way?

yeah, I suppose heavy in a perfect circle type way is apt enough... imagine is particulary dark

there are a few slow/soft songs on the album too, "when the levee breaks" and "fiddle and the drum" are lovely songs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Ren0

i got it. i think its quite good but not as good as the first 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Hmmm. My opinions are mixed. On the one hand, there are some interesting and inventive covers, and it's nice to see Billy singing for a change.

On the other hand, there is a lot of crap and filler (Counting Bodies Like Sheep is just a remix of Pet, and a bad one too), and I just get a cynical, money-grabbing air from it. It is probably just a contract-fulfiller.

I like counting bodies like sheep...

I dislike Billy's singing on this record. And he sounded really good on some of APC's demos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I'm going to have to get a copy of this. I really like APC's work to date (Thirteenth step is amazing) and I'd like to see some of their takes on other songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Mordeth wrote:
    I like counting bodies like sheep...

Same here, it's probably the only song I did like at first and persuaded me to listen some more. Quite like most of the songs now, though I do agree with whoever said this is a contract filler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Buck Owens

I Like it, not a patch on the first two but still worth a listen! The Imagine cover is class, they really made it into their own song, the first track, Annilation(or however it spelt) is very cool too, I Like Mayard's very ominous whispering, Mayard sounds great on the album too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

time for the obligatory "will tool be releasing another album?" if so when,come on maynard,its a good side project but they aint no tool

first quarter of next year afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

oh god yes,thats good to know,cheers Mordeth.

Advertisement