Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP Language Change

• 22-10-2004 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Can anyone help i have a XP machine that is in Dutch\german?? dont ask !!!
    Can i change it back to english ? if so how?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you have a foreign language version of Windows of Office and aren't in a type licensing contract that only medium to large companies then you can't even buy a the option to use other languages.

So AFAIK microsoft would insist on you buying a NEW copy of windows to put on the machine , you can't move another copy of XP OEM to that machine. And if the copy of XP on that machine is OEM you can't move it to another machine, and Microsoft won't let you upgrade it either. Some please correct me if I'm wrong but if anyone can spot a loophole in the XP / XP Oem license I'd like to know.

Things you can do - you can download english versions of IE, you can try to install english language service packs/patches manually (this used to work on 98 but Colm MST reckons it won't work on XP and he'd know better)

[pimp]www.openoffice.org comes in many languages as a replacement for non-power users of word powerpoint and excel[/pimp]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭LFCMCGRATH

i tried to install SP2 but it wouldn't let me because of the language difference. It really is great fun trying to work with a foreign OS no matter how well you think you know it. :o:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

have tried before to no avail. afaik it needs the OS re-installing in the correct language with XP. sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yep. Had a dude come into me with a Dutch Win98. No option but format + reinstall of english 98. Same for XP. I researched the problem for a bit. Sucks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you already had english you could add a few other languages..

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/DrIntl/faqs/muifaq.mspx#MUIques6
    MUI is not supported on consumer versions of Windows such as Windows 9x, Windows Me, and Windows XP Home Edition.

How can I acquire Windows MUI?
    The Windows XP/2000 MUI is sold only through Volume Licensing programs such as the Microsoft Open License Program (MOLP / Open), Select, and Enterprise agreement (or with a new computer as an OEM version at customer request). It is not available through retail channels.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0db2e8f9-79c4-4625-a07a-0cc1b341be7c&displaylang=en
    The Microsoft Windows XP Language Interface Pack (LIP) is a high-quality, localized "skin" for emerging or minority language markets, such as Catalan, Lithuanian, and Thai. Based on MUI technology, LIP provides the desktop user with an approximately 80% localized user experience by translating a reduced set of user interface elements. LIP is installed on a licensed copy of Windows and a fixed base language.

Available Windows XP Language Interface Packs:

Bulgarian Interface Pack
    Catalan Interface Pack 2968 KB http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=f18e1512-5333-434d-b8d6-5710dd493552&displaylang=ca
    Croatian Interface Pack
    Estonian Interface Pack
    Hindi Interface Pack
    Latvian Interface Pack
    Lithuanian Interface Pack
    Romanian Interface Pack
    Serbian (Cyrillic) Interface Pack
    Serbian (Latin) Interface Pack
    Thai Interface Pack
    Ukrainian Interface Pack

Anyone know the reg setting that service packs use to ID the language version of windows ??? - it might be hackable.

http://www.ficorp.com/intl_xp.html
    Installing Multilanguage Support
    For Windows XP, there is a separate CD or DVD with files labeled Microsoft® Windows® XP Multilingual User Interface Pack, Discs 1-5.

• Advertisement
Advertisement