Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

motorbikes

Options
  • 22-10-2004 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

hi all
    just a quick question.
    im 32 and had a bike when i was 16-17 but not since.i have a full car licence.
    what cc bike can i drive on a provisional licence as ive heard its limited to 125 is this true?
    ive a full ncb on my car would that count for anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

from the motor taxation website .

MOTORCYCLES

M

Two wheeled vehicles with an engine size not exceeding 50cc and/or a speed capability no more than 45 km/h

Minimum age requirement – 16 years.

A1

Motorcycles with an engine size of 51- 125cc and /or a speed capability over 45km/h and with a power rating not exceeding 11kw, with or without sidecar.

Minimum age requirement – 18 years.

A*

Restricted:

If applicant has not held a provisional A license before 15th November 1999 he/she can only get a restricted A. He/she cannot drive motorcycles exceeding 25 kW engine power or a power /weight ratio exceeding 0.16 kW/kg or in the case of vehicles in the said category with sidecars with a power/weight ratio exceeding 0.16 kW/kg.

Once he/she passes the test in the restricted A category, the restriction continues for the first

two years after obtaining the full license. After that he/she can drive any size motorbike.

A

Unrestricted:

If an applicant held a provisional license for category A in the five years prior the commencement of the 1999 Driver Licensing Regulations he/she is entitled to renew that license, provided that when making the application the previous provisional A license has not expired more than five years previously.

NOTE: Any queries regarding engine power or power / weight ratio should be addressed to motorcycle dealer or manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

terbo wrote:
    hi all
    just a quick question.
    im 32 and had a bike when i was 16-17 but not since.i have a full car licence.
    what cc bike can i drive on a provisional licence as ive heard its limited to 125 is this true?
    ive a full ncb on my car would that count for anything?
    As said, you can get a full A licence, but you're still restricted to <= 25kWh and P:W no great than 0.16kW/kg.
    You can drive any cc you like essentially.

NCB on your car counts for nothing. You start back at ground zero.

You'll also be required to do a theory test before you get your bike provisional, if you haven't already done one. (I'm not kidding)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭terbo

thanks for the replys guys
    ive settled for a yamaha virago 125 till i get ncb and full licence [plz god]

Advertisement