Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tongue piercing and work.

Options
  • 23-10-2004 1:20am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok Ive given up on the idea of a Apradayva(8-10 week healing time--not a hope in hell) so Im going to get my tongue done.
    One question though--
    How do your employers react to this piercing?
    Mine is fine as long as its not "really" noticable and since Im a manager in the company they believe I hace to set standards for other employees.
    Can it really be seen that much?
    How long to heal?
    How long before I can use a clear plastic retainer?
    And how long before I can eat normally again?
    Thanks
    Richie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

Some may not approve if you have to deal with the public and depends on the person when I had my tongue pierced ya couldnt see it, personally I couldnt eat solids for about 5 days but after that I was eating normally again althought I probably shouldnt have as for healing it should take 8 weeks or more depending on how well ya look after it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

you can wear a plastic retainer as soon as the swelling has gone down.
    I find people will only notice your tongue piercing if they are actually looking for it,which in most work places it is not the case.
    I say go ahead,get it pierced,whats the worst that can happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 PiercedMoonyMom

Ask your employer what their policy is on body piercings. It'd be a nasty surprise to go through the pain only to be commanded to take it out the first day at work. Tongue piercings can be very visible, depending on what kind of jewelry you wear and its placement. They take 4-6 weeks to heal, and no jewelry changing should occur until after the 6 week mark. At that time you can also wear a retainer, but as acrylic retainers are porous and harbor bacteria limit wearing one to only as long as you absolutely have to. Everyone's different on the "eating normally" thing-some people have no problems from the get-go, others like me take up to two weeks or more before you can eat normal solid food again. Having the too-long bar in after the swelling subsides until it's completely healed can cause problems with eating also, so be very careful not to bite the barbell. Hope that helps! :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

i actually meant a clear ball on top of the metal bar,not a full acrylic retainer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 PiercedMoonyMom

Same idea-still acrylic, still porous. But in the end it's up to you.

Have you checked into dental acrylic? It's safe for new piercings and is a better color for "hiding" piercings.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ask your employer what their policy is on body piercings.

Employer is fine with body piercings-Ive my nape done and although its almost hidden by a shirt collar theres no problems.
    The opinion is that once its not something that every person that comes in can notice then its fine.So maybe Ill go for it this week and give it a week to heal before I head to NY next week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 im cool!!!!

i just got mine and my bastard boss asked me why do i abuse myself?****ing assssholes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Ask your employer what their policy is on body piercings. It'd be a nasty surprise to go through the pain only to be commanded to take it out the first day at work

Thats good advice, in the last place i worked, one of my bosses was digusted when he saw my tongue, I presumed that he would be cool with it but I shoulda found out first, even though it didn't affect my work, I could tell that he saw me in a new light(black cloud kinda light). I wouldn't mind but up until then he never noticed it, I as usual had to go and stick my tongue out at someone. (mature, I know :rolleyes: ).

Also think about the fact that your are going to find it a little difficult to talk without a lisp for a few days (two/three days for me), along with the swelling of the tongue it takes a little getting used to the feeling of the piercing.
    Thinks about doing it the Friday of a long weekend maybe (is there one before christmas?)
    Either way is will vary from person to person, job to job, but good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭mamolian

Tend to agree.. wait till youve a few days off together.. so it wont affect you at work.. but give yourself at least a week before christmas.. so you get to enjoy your christmas dinner ;)

Hmm when i got my tongue peirced.. i was smoking again 10 mins after i got it done.. and was eating (painfully for around 2/3 days after that) It *will* swell ;) and most likely hurt.. but after that.. ive found it to be pretty cool. Just an extra thing to play with.. instead of tapping your foot, i just play with the tongue bar.

Would be an idea to change the metal bar ends to plastic or somthing else afterwards tho.. as ive chomped on them once or twice quite hard.. which will make my dentist a very happy and rich man.

Mamo

Advertisement