Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about DVD's

• 15-06-2001 9:56am

I dont like getting DVD's with letterbox widescreen as i dont have a wide screen TV.So when buying DVD's what should the back of the box say so i can have full screen ?

Also what are the advantages of widescreen anyway ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Most good DVD's these days come with a choice of the two - usually on a double sided disc - but if not - most good DVD players should allow you to stretch and tweak the display. The option, as opposed to "Widescreen", that you're looking for is "4:3" or "Standard".

If you're watching PC's on a computer, get Power DVD 3.0 - it's the top choice and it can stretch widescreen movies to full screen with practically no quality loss.

Sorry I cant recomment a DVD player for a TV.

Bard
    Does exactly what it says on the tin.

But when buying DVDs what can i see on the back of the box to show full screen ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bard:
    The option, as opposed to "Widescreen", that you're looking for is "4:3" or "Standard".</font>

He just told you?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Most DVD's are in Widescreen these days, not a lot with the 4:3 option left. Mainly because widescreen is the way the film was shot, if you watch a widescreen film on a standard telly you are losing around 20% of the cinema picture frame to each side.

The advantage of widescreen is that you see the picture as it was intended to be seen, also widescreen tv's are obviously bigger and will have a much better sound system then some bog standard yoke.

The 28" ones are down to about 500 quid now so get out there and buy one smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Dre,

When you get the widescreen version of a film you see it how the Director intended. Believe me you notice the difference when you see the "Pan & Scan" version compared to the "Widescreen".

You will eventually buy a widescreen telly so you might as well get the widescreen versions of the films your buying.

Gandalf.

• Advertisement
Advertisement