Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NaNoWriMo

Options
  • 23-10-2004 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭

We're all talented, hell thats what the T stands for. And now I present you with a chance. Put your talent to good use!

The NaNoWriMo, Or National Novel Writing Month is the challenge to churn out a 50,000 word novel between the first and thirtieth of November. There's no prize for achieving it, other than the joy of having a novel, written in your name. For more information, visit www.NaNoWriMo.org. Check out the forums as well, my ID is Raphael Korland

Anyone else trying the 50k challenge? Feel free to post here to discuss ideas, plans, or inquirys. If your not intrested...please, don't bother posting, You're wasting boards.ie's valuable server space

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Oh dear, I'm going to have to pimp myself out to 2 forums now... never a good thing.

And yes, I'm doing it. Haven't a clue what I'm doing yet, only found out about this thinger yesterday. Last time I had to do something along these lines (which was the primary school Write-A-Book project), it ended disastrously...

I think school should be suspended for the month of november to aid us in our crazed efforst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Spraypaint

Way ahead of you Man.I started writing a trilogy about a year ago and between corrections, editing and entirely new ideas, I'm about one fifth of the way through the first book. I haven't written much in the past few months but it's a labour of love that I'm determined to finish. I'm ignoring time constraints so November 30th will come and go but it's cool and weird to know that another "kid" albeit a talented one is trying this sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Raphael wrote:
    If your not intrested...please, don't bother posting, You're wasting boards.ie's valuable server space
    Says the author of this post, which in no way wastes "valuable server space". I could also point to about 50% of your posts as examples of dubious use of the "valuable server space", but it would take me about a year, and the loss of a few billion brain cells, to go through each individual example.
    Oh dear, I'm going to have to pimp myself out to 2 forums now... never a good thing.
    I manage to juggle 3 forums, and 6th year, just fine.

Yeah, but I try to be faithful to one. I've got various communities (eg livejournal+deviantart) to take care of so I'm not a forum person as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Dammit Barry, that was my n00b repellant(sp?) and you runied it.

And I manage to balance 4 forum sites, and 5th year. I think I win

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭snuffles

3 forums (one in which I mod), deviantART, livejournal, Elfwood and 5th year. I am the greatest loser of all!

In other news, I've tried NaNoWriMo twice before and failed miserably both times. This year however, I've got competition which will drive me to success!

Unless it doesn't, in which case I will fail.

You know what's hard? Plots. Plots are hard.

Marianne, if that's your plot on your LJ, it's a HELL of a lot better than mine.
    You wanna know what my plot is?
    Girl meets guy. Guy lies to girl. GIRL DESTROYS UNIVERSE.

Could it get any worse? Seriously.

And damn, I'm not the biggest loser... *sniff*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Raphael wrote:

And I manage to balance 4 forum sites, and 5th year. I think I win

5 forum sites, and 5th year......... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

and back to topic, this novel writing thing sounds brilliant. I'm definitely gonna try. I've written about 4 books in my life, but they're pretty useless. I have a short story written though, and I might use the theme of it as the basis of this novel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

2 forums, lj, deviantart, myspace AND a social life. tbh, i think i win.

• Advertisement

You're comparing nerdiness here people, it's a similar competition to "I can eradicate your entire population a few minutes faster than you can do the same to my country's population." Nobody wins, you just look like a total prat

And, as usual, the thread is off topic.

And Barry...good analogy. typically militant, of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭snuffles

You're comparing nerdiness here people, it's a similar competition to "I can eradicate your entire population a few minutes faster than you can do the same to my country's population." Nobody wins, you just look like a total prat

I think someone can't live up to the utter nerdiness breeding in this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

and who was it that began the whole 'i'm on more forums than you' malarkey?

and who was it that began the whole 'i'm on more forums than you' malarkey?
    Purplefistmixer. I replied as way of telling her that being on 2 forums isn't so superhuman. I did not intend for you lot to start a "I'm a bigger nerd than you" competition, because if I had, I would have started a thread entitled "Who here is the biggest nerd in terms of amount of forums read on a regular basis?"

Though...this does seem to have become that.

Oh Well

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

next person to go off topic is banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭pinkpimp

NaNoWriMo seems interesting...
    I might be interested if I had some more time. Might be able to manage it if I try hard enough...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

crash_000 wrote:
    next person to go off topic is banned.

W00t? Neil. Hi. How are you? Do I know you? :P

... Final year of my degree and I mod this place so shup all of ye. :rolleyes:

Anyhow. I've looked at this, forgotten about it, remembered, forgot and remembered.

I doubt I'll actually do it. I've quite a number of story lines for various thnigs (film(s)/book/game) but I'm a disaster when it comes to writing. I come up with ideas and then they just build up.

I could try it but I'd probably end up messing up my degree (moreso).

Still. Best of luck to all who try.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Methinks I might give this a go. Been mulling it over since I saw the thread and I think I'll go for it. Last couple of attempts I've made to write a book have imploded so this could be a cool incentive. Of course, it does mean typing over 1000 words a day. Ah well, who needs friends anyway?

• Advertisement

1,666.67 words a day, actually!

I keep telling myself "at the end, you'll have a novel!" over and over... and it hasn't even started!

<edit>
    Oh and according to some suspicious maths, that's 10 pages of A4 writing a day! Or more, if you've got big writing like me.
    </edit>

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Um. Typing sounds good. And if that's the case I'm getting a head start as of tomorrow!

Ah but that's defeating the purpose. The purpose is to methodically kill yourself over a period of 30 days in attempting to complete an almost impossible task. With others!

However this whole dealy may result in my acquisition of a laptop which is a good thing. Even if it has no screen. Minor detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

However this whole dealy may result in my acquisition of a laptop which is a good thing. Even if it has no screen. Minor detail.

your gettin a keyboard so? :)

Well... sort of...
    It is actually working, once you plug it into a monitor. And sure it can barely manage word, but it's still functional. And I can click madly away at it and pretend like I'm getting somewhere.

Thats pretty cool actually, A screen is the least important part of a laptop. And seeing as most people have computers, you can easily just borrow their screen if you're at a friends. If they're a big enough nerd, they may have a spare

It's better than just having a hard drive anyway

Yeah, I can use one of the monitors hanging around my house.. we have an odd abundancy of them.
    The only problem, aside from the whole screen thing and the fact that it's got about 200khz, is the lack of any way whatsoever to connect it to the rest of the network. It doesn't even have a floppy drive!

However, all in time. First the great novel of the 21st century must be written. *looks around expectantly*

Does it have a USB jack?

Coz then you could take files off it using an mp3 player/usb stick

Yeah, it does.
    However, we need drivers for the usb link thing and it doesn't have a CD drive, or an internet connection...

Which is just plain stupid.

• Advertisement

NOpe, USB sticks, or at least my one, just plugs in and becomes an extra drive. no software

It's all terribly clever

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement