Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NaNoWriMo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Ah that is highly useful. Pity I don't have one.

(looked at the price for getting a new screen/docking port, and heh, it'd be about the same to buy a decent laptop.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Dude, get a friend who was one to move it onto something with the internet at the end of november

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Raphael wrote:
    NOpe, USB sticks, or at least my one, just plugs in and becomes an extra drive. no software

It's all terribly clever

Off topic but they only do that on an OS like Win 2K or XP. 98 or there abouts will require drivers. As I learned/rememebered Sunday night as I tore apart a PC to rip out the hard drive, connect it to a laptop using my disassemled caddy and then reassemble all and reinstall Win 98.

Fun times. :D

Really? Thats news to me....

Wonder what OS PFM's craptop has....

I was just thinking that, actually...

Craptop probably has like.. 3.1.. okay, maybe not so old. 95 I'd say... it's got a pentium 2. Whoo. Hoo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Chowburger

Ok, going off the topic of all the OT posts, but are there any people here who've give NaNoMango a try before? It's along the same lines as WriMo, but you try and do a thirty page comic instead -Livejournal Community
    It sounds like fun, but je n'ai pas the time to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭snuffles

You know how NaNoWriMo kinda requires you to write 1700 words a day, minimum? (unless your crazy and do it all in the last week...)

Has anyone tried that recently?

Because, damn it's hard. That little flashing cursor can be so taunting when you've done a page and a half and your brain just gives up.

I wrote 1690 yesterday.
    Well, I'm still recovering.
    Not only was it pure unadulterated crap (if you REALLY want it, it's on my writing LJ) but it took ages.
    Of course I was on the internet/MSN at the time so I think perhaps that was the cause.

And also, while we're on the topic of writing - has anyone noticed their style of writing changing depending on the font they use?
    I usually use MS Sans Serif, and it produces some really abstract stuff.
    Times New Roman appears to yield more coherent results, but it's so horrible...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭Caoimhe

Tip: type in Times New Roman, then when you're done select all and change to Sans Serif :) Coherency and purtiness

Hmm, good idea.
    (I can't believe I care about what font I use for writing...)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭Caoimhe

Question Steph - exactly when did you end up with over 600 posts? Spend some time not on the computer! Such as at reunions with us! :D

I was sort of wondering that myself.
    And I tried to get to the reunion! We need to organise more, damnit. This has just been a busy week... *muttermutter*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

hmm. i'm still considering doing this. except it's november in like two days, i have no clue what to write about (i read through all my old ideas and they're all ****e) and since i hate typing - writing, i'll end up never sleeping and with a really sore hand.

and i'm lazy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Heh, sore hand. And before anyone else says it, in-your-endo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭jono087

Heh, sore hand. And before anyone else says it, in-your-endo!

sore hand eh........

So, who here is actually doing NaNoWriMo

And for those that are doing it, whats your wordcount?

I'm up to 3,793. Not bad for 2 days work...

4219!
    I think it's in my signature as well because I really need to feel some accomplishment after writing PURE CRAP for 2 hours. Okay, perhaps it's not THAT bad, but hell, it's bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

I wrote for about two hours last night (not NaNoWriMo, for a compeition I'm entering through school). I find when that happens, I slip into a Gibsonesque sort of mental state, like I'm not entirely anchored to my corporeal form... I also wrote about a dozen words while my eyes were involuntarily closed. I know my computer keyboard better then my piano. <shudders at the unhealthiness of it all>

i don't like the idea of me writing 50,000 words or pure ****e, so my plan is to write 20,000 of utter drivel instead. woo. go me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Whats the point of it all anyway? Instead of writing pages and pages of crap for a month, and coming out with a piece of crap, would it not be more rewarding to put a bit of effort and thought in and write for even 3 months?

• Advertisement

Holligan, everyone things what they write is crap

The idea is that the month will let you create something. It's a great feeling to write a novel, even if its not much ggood

Besides, that might just be a first draft. Subsequent rewrites could take quite some time

Bill, is that a playwriting competition?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

planning on starting mine again, I dont like my first one and I have a good new idea for this one. I think I can get 50,000 words done in the time left. I hope so anyway.

Use your original idea as a dream sequence, thats the general trick

i changed my mind. i'm not in writerly mood these past few months. so i changed my mind.
    instead i'm going to handsew 50,000 sequins onto a dress. now that's a challenge.

It wouldn't make any sense whatsoever with the new novel though.

but then I could just do a whole stream of consciousness or whatever it is.

My whole novel is based on the idea of random dream sequences that mean NOTHING. It's great. Well, not the writing. But something's great... somewhere... and I will thoroughly blame my novel for that.

And anyway, the point is that in lowering your expectations you will be more free to write well, freely, and it may not end up being as crap as you thought. And then you get to spend the next couple of months editing it. After that you can write dissertations on how crap it is. Or publish it. Whichever's easier. =P

your "crazy count" is going very well so far, I noticed. I havent a clue how much I've written, but I'll check that later.

I'm on 6070. Don't know how the hell you keep that up PFM

Then again, I'm gonna get some writing in today before bed, so I may get up araound there with you

good luck to the both of you anyway, may we all reach the 50,000 mark in time! :)

• Advertisement

I think my wordcounter must be off or something. I mean, one minute I was on 6k, next 2 hours I was sitting there going "THIS SUCKS" and then suddenly it was 8k.... o.o

Oh, and also I'm not allowing myself on the internet until I've written 2k words, so I start foaming at the mouth and typing madly with god knows what.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement