Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Open face helmet for sale

Options
  • 23-10-2004 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

I hope i'm targeting the right board here for this but mods feel free to move to the for sale forum if you think it's neccessary.

A few months back my brother changed bikes from a Dragstar 1100 Classic to a CBR 1000F, as a result he no longer had any need for his open face helmet and passed it onto me. Although i ride a Dragstar 650 myself, i'm not a huge fan of open face helmts so don't really have any plans to use it at all.

The helmet itself got a relatively small amount of wear from my brother and it's in excellent nick, it's a matt black finish with a detatchable visor. Not sure of the actuall make only has Classic on the side, as for size again i don't know :( but my brother wears a small helmet and i wear a med and it fits both of us fine (maybe they are one size fits all).

Anyways, there is two pics of it below. I'm in the south tipp/waterford area but can deliver or meet within a reasonable distance.
    guidline price: approx €80 ono.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Two Qs:-
    was it ever in use during an accident?
    would you take €50?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭test999

@mods, apologies if this is considered bad form, but using and then selling a helmet is a big safety no no. The foam within a helmet compresses for the first user. The second user then effectively gets a bum deal in the accident as the energy absorbing foam has already been compressed and is unable to absorb the impact.

Posts selling helmets should be banned on safety grounds.

@Eye, apologies if this prevents a sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

test999 wrote:
    @mods, apologies if this is considered bad form, but using and then selling a helmet is a big safety no no. The foam within a helmet compresses for the first user. The second user then effectively gets a bum deal in the accident as the energy absorbing foam has already been compress and is unable to absorb the impact.

Agreed, took the words out of my mouth :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

Would do for a pillion passenger tho, seeing as that could be any of a number of friends who'd take a lift of you ... right? You should probably post what saftey standards it meets if you don't have the model/brand ...

errmmm, no, it's not suitable for a pillion either.

Just because a lid met a safety standard, doesn't mean it's okay to share the helmet with several people and still expect it to perform as designed.
    Helmets are for one person only, they also have a duration, after which the helmet should be binned, for Arai lids, this is about 5 years, depending on usage.
    After 5 years? you may as well be wearing a tefal pot on your head ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

i agree...would you buy a used life jacket or a second hand seat belt?

anyone buying a helmet shouldn't scrimp

Buy a fifty euro helmet if your head is worth fifty euro.

Although that's not as true as it used to be, especially with Lidl selling EC2205 lids, which meet and exceed the latest safety requirements.

I out the offer in as Im always asked if someone can borrow a helmet off me at (car club) track days (where the likelyhood of incident is low and the type of incident is not as severe as say on a bike or car racing)

Why wear a helmet at all, those BMW's are purty slow ;)

a) I never mentioned BMWs!
    b) yes - had my ass kicked by a Pug 106 GTi recently! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Eye

test999 wrote:
    @mods, apologies if this is considered bad form, but using and then selling a helmet is a big safety no no. The foam within a helmet compresses for the first user. The second user then effectively gets a bum deal in the accident as the energy absorbing foam has already been compressed and is unable to absorb the impact.

test999 where in my post did it mention an accident????
    i told you it has been worn a handfull of times, never in an accident, never had even a slight impact such as falling of the seat onto the ground. if it had i would'nt be selling it, it was bought for about €250 .... it's not a cheap piece of crap it's a damn good helmet.

i think my asking price of €80 is fair but if need be i might drop to maybe €60.
    if i was into open face helmets i'd wear it myself as it's as good as new, like i said barely been worn.

If it was in an accident it would have been thrown in the bin, i would'nt wear it and i would'nt ask anyone else to wear it i'm not that stupid, i've always considered safety on the bike as parramount as it is my only form of transport. so can people stop post crap and if your interested make and offer if not, thanks and good bye. :D

Advertisement