Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drilling holes in tiles, without cracking ?

Options
  • 23-10-2004 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

All,

I'm just about to move into my new place and need to know how to drill holes into tiling so I can mount fittings like towel racks, mirrors and that little bracket jobby for the jacks-roll.

I have heard something along the lines of using masking tape and a special drill bit. Also, would an electric or battery drill be better, I'm coming from the rpm side here.

All help welcome.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yeah i belive taping over the drilling area helps as does a slow drilling speed. It might be a good idea to start with a very small guide hole...?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Easiest way is just to buy a proper tile drilling bit, they work like a dream and make a nice clean hole. You can get them anywhere ... even Woodies :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I've used sellotape before, with two strips down in a criss-cross fashion. Worked no problem, but i took it very slowly at first in terms of RPM, mainly cause if i had of cracked one, i would have been in trouble with my better half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭pipers

Use a regular 6mm masonry bit.

First: Drill with hammer action off until through tile (you will know by the colour of the dust)

Second: Then turn hammer action on (to drill through block work behind tile, if applicable)

Thats it

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

Sounds good so far, all ties in with some tips I just got from B&Q.ie.
    Masking tape seems like a good alternative.

Thanks so far !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

mrbungle wrote:
    All,

I'm just about to move into my new place and need to know how to drill holes into tiling so I can mount fittings like towel racks, mirrors and that little bracket jobby for the jacks-roll.

I have heard something along the lines of using masking tape and a special drill bit. Also, would an electric or battery drill be better, I'm coming from the rpm side here.

All help welcome.

Thanks.
    My dad has done this numourous times, and this is what he said;
    Put some masking tape over the hole postition (to stop the drill bit from slipping) and use a new masonary drill bit to the required size. Use electric, or battery operated drill. Don't put too much pressure on drill, as too much force could crack the tile.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Use maskin tape and then a drill runnin at very low revs.
    I use a steel nail and tape once the place you want to drill, very gently though, then place the drill bit in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

pipers wrote:
    Use a regular 6mm masonry bit.

First: Drill with hammer action off until through tile (you will know by the colour of the dust)

Second: Then turn hammer action on (to drill through block work behind tile, if applicable)

Thats it
    Agree here...never split a tile using this method....tried once using a 5mm bit and then finishing with the 6mm, but it makes the job harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I agree with pipers, i never cracked a tile yet, and that coupled with some tape does it for me

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I use a countersink bit, they are as sharp as bejasus and never slip on me. All you have to do is start off slow and once you have the initial hole your away with it.
    When the hole is bit enough I then switch to a good quality masonry bit.
    I 've been doing this for years with the same countersink bit, no probs

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭jay567

As an extra point, mark where u are going to drip and tap it using a hilti nail. This will break the outer glazing that will be on most tiles. Then drill away on a low speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I'd stay a mile away from hitting the tile
    the 6mm of 5.5mm mas bit with the hammer off untill your through the tile is the best way, IMHO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭jay567

Strange u say that, ive worked with multiple tilers and they all do this. I suppose what ever works for u stick to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Pipers is correct.
    Masonary drill bit, low rpm, Hammer off till through tile, insulating tape to stop tile slipping. After hole fully drilled, increase hole size in tile only, again masonary bit and hammer off, if plugging wall. Then when you tighten screw there is no pressure on tile as top of wall plug is flush with wall and not tile.
    t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 clarkee

mark the hole using a masonry nail and hammer, few light taps to chip the ceramic.
    Drill 5.5mm(for red rawl plugs) hole using masonry drill bit, off hammer until top layer is broken through and on hammer after that.

I'm a sparks myself and this is a well proven method.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

very gently tap with a sharp steel nail on the desired spot. This should leave a tiny indentation to which the drill bit adheres. Sounds crazy, but it works

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭qazxsw

if you don't have any tape handy you can do worse than place the bit exactly where you want it on the tile, put a decent amount of pressure on the drill and give the chuck a few turns by hand till you get the bit to break the glaze, then you should be O.K.

Advertisement