Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RED PLANET

• 30-05-2001 3:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

What a god aweful movie. As a piece of sci-fi it sucks rivits out of battleships. Terible plot right the way through, god-aweful acting and cheapo special effects. And the scrpit? What script? A stilted piece of tripe.

I got it one video and was thankful I did not sit through it in the cinema. Sitting through "Mission to Mars" in the Cinema was another terrible experiece I will not forget. That one was even worse the Red Planet! (if thats possible).

Keep your powder dry and your pants moist

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Pants. Luckily I also had Pitch Black out as well smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

SUKIE SUKIE

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Didn't have any strong feelings on this one. Rented it on DVD and thought it was average enough but not terrible.
    Mission to Mars I liked. Must be the only one but I thought there was a nice build up of tension in it.
    Pitch Black I own on DVD. Suppose that says it all really. Best of the lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Definetly...

The two suckiest sci-fi's I've seen in recent years...

But Red Planet was marginaly better than Mission To Mars...

I'm just thankful that there was salvation for the Sci-Fi genre in the shape of Pitch Black...

MAN THATS A GREAT FILM!

And for a first time director? Fantastic!

I have to scrimp up a bit of money and get that on DVD.

Oh, but get my comp fixed before I can watch it... FFS...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Magwitch

Pitch Black, excellent film. Vim Diesel was excellent. A real anti-hero who finds redemption in the end and not through some soppy rubbish either.

BUT it had Claudia Black C L U U D I A B L A C K........mmmmmmmmm

Keep your powder dry and your pants moist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Watched 'Red Planet' on a BA flight back from Dubai the other day.

Actually fell asleep for most of it......

Is Pitch Black avail on DVD here yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Preferred Red Planet to Mission to Mars. But I'd still only give it 3 stars.

Saw Loser and Memento last night.

Loser was by the numbers teenage dirtbag flick, but wasn't actually that bad.

Memento was good, interesting ideas, well acted but the ending lacked a little.

Yeah Pitch Black is indeed available on DVD, in Xtravision anyway.
    Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

[This message has been edited by amp (edited 01-06-2001).]

Yep...
    Just got it on DVD today. smile.gif

Vin Diesel was fantastic in the film though...
    Man, that guy can act... And he's a big tough-guy, Arnie style... BUT HE CAN ACT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Berger

what is it about mars films? there is a curse.. every one turns out bad. i saw it TWICE on my way to and from florida.. and it sucked both times! and mission to mars! whooooooh what kind of an ending was that? the "friendly" aliens. cr*p

PHat Ass Burger

I groaned audibly at that part when the Camp Aliens turned up and everyone was supposed to go "awwwww". I had a fleeting moment however when the guy was going to go away in the Alien space ship that the liquid that flooded in would in fact drown him. That woud have redeemed things slightly, but alas it was not to be.

• Advertisement

Not all movies on mars are bad... Look at Total Recall... Great film, that was!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

2001 now that is a movie in space.
    as for Total Recall thats based on a
    Philip K. Dick short story, still very good movie

Coyote

You try to be smarter,
    And I will try to be nicer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Loomer

I farking knew it - I knew I would be sorry if I got a video with Val Kilmer as the star! He who has as much charisma as my naval hair(and yet he was good in Top Secret???) Anyway such a big pile of steaming poo. Films like that make me soooo angry. I need to calm down. But the makers of that film should face public execution!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Coyote:
    2001 now that is a movie in space.
    as for Total Recall thats based on a
    Philip K. Dick short story, still very good movie

Coyote

</font>

Yes, Total Recall was a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Loomer

I just had a conversation with someone in a pub and I said and am not ashamed to say Total Recall is one of if not my favourite films of all times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SHADOW

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Loomer:
    I farking knew it - I knew I would be sorry if I got a video with Val Kilmer as the star! He who has as much charisma as my naval hair</font>

I actually kinda like Val Kilmer as an actor for some inexplicable reason. He played the d!ck Ice-man in Top Gun well, also remember Heat? Top Secret was a class movie.

N

Total Recall was excellent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Picked myself up the DVD of Pitch Black (along with Snatch, great film that), and to be honest, I wasn't overly impressed, it was good, but no where near as good as the likes of Alien(s).

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Loomer:
    I just had a conversation with someone in a pub and I said and am not ashamed to say Total Recall is one of if not my favourite films of all times</font>

Oh yes!!!

It is fantastic...
    Rather complex plot, fantastic special effects, and quite an odd view of the future...

Also... The ending REALLY leaves you wondering!
    That was one of the best things about the film.

Advertisement