Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2001 Space Odyssy on DVD

• 15-06-2001 3:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

Anyone buy this yet ? Is it worth the asking price of £40 (well £40 on the hmv.co.uk website anyays).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

£44 on HMV Grafton Street.
    Is it worth it? It's up to you. I gave up buying special edition box sets a long time ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

Is it worth £44?

I'd say no. You do get the soundtrack but there's fup all extras on the dvd itself, apart from the trailer.

You'd think Warner's would have put a bit more into producing this dvd, especially for a film as important as 2001. But no, it's just the usual Warner bros. dvd cheapness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Is it some sort of special edition or is it the same as this one available for £31 (stg) on Amazon ?

Bard
    Does exactly what it says on the tin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bard:
    Is it some sort of special edition or is it the same as this one available for £31 (stg) on Amazon ?

</font>

Yep, that's the same one

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TinCool:
    Yep, that's the same one

</font>

hmmm... why buy it from HMV then when you can buy it and have it delivered by Amazon UK for the equivalent of IR£40 ? smile.gif

Bard
    (in Limerick...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Heres a review of that DVD from DVDtimes http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/getreview.cgi?id=76

Looks like a nice package if you like that film which I don't.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

that film wrecked my head!, n no way would i pay anymore than £25 for a DVD no matter what it was! smile.gif

"just because you're not paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after you!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Is this the going price for DVD's? They are so taking the p1ss. Bump out a new medium, that is cheaper to make than the last and charge more early so the prices stay high later - no DVD should be above 15 by all rights, and we only accept 15 quid because thats the extraordinary prices that CD's settled at (given that was bout 8 years ago).

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Greenbean:
    Is this the going price for DVD's?</font>

No. Most are between £16 and £24 in my experience.

Bard
    Does exactly what it says on the tin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

So now you can be bored out of your mind on DVD eh? That asking price is a ripoff, and don't forget that because Kubrick was an obstinate pri<k, there's no widescreen version, he insisted on shooting fullframe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Um, I've got the region 1 version and it's widescreen. Admittedly not 16:9, but the correct cinemascope (I assume?) aspect ratio.

I only paid $25 for my disk. It's a great film up til the hippy wig out sequence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well the most I paid for a DVD was around £50 for The Criterion Edition of Brazil, 2 Versions of the Film on separate DVD's and another full DVD of extras, documentaries etc.

In my opinion it was well worth the investment. Then again Brazil is one of my favourite films.

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Lucy_la_morte

Brazil is an amazing film.

Miaow.

Lucy la morte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

well after watching it, this disk really is terrible.

Especially considering it's one a milestone in the history of sci fi (like it or not), and was released as a supposed "Special Edition".

I'm sick and tired of Warner's cheap-ass approach to dvd's, only occansionly do they bother to put any kind of effort in their releases, and only for big name films like the matrix. Oh and I hate their snap cases smile.gif

well this is turning into a rant against warner bros. smile.gif

Advertisement