Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nike

• 23-10-2004 6:24pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I must say its nice to see that Nike have gone back to making proper basketball runner boots in increased numbers, although i suspect it was a case of not supplying the Irish market more than anything.

Remember in the mid nineties or so, it seemed everyone was on the basketball buzz. Air Jordan's were the ones to have, and i can remember newspaper stories about kids having there expensive 'trainers' nicked. As a matter of interest, does anybody know where the biggest Nike range in Dublin is?, think i'm gonna treat myself tomorrow.

BTW i saw in the paper that Footlocker have bought 8 or 9 champion sports stores, which might increase the competition or at least mean a better range.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Personally I think they're overpriced junk.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

impr0v wrote:
    Personally I think they're overpriced junk.
    Each to his own

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

there *is* a fashion board you know..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Not to mention their shoddy treatment of human beings making their shoddy products.

http://www.fairolympics.org/en/report/olympicreporteng.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Hey delly, I hear ya. I'm pleased you have gotten such pleasure from this new line of plimsolls. I think its amazing people get so excited about runners. But I have to agree with impr0v, they are overpriced, but I wouldn't go as far as to say they are rubbish. For example, I bought a nice hoody in Sloppy Joes in Temple Bar yesterday for about €75. In arnotts today, saw a nice looking Nike hoody (grey, fairly plain), it was €60 or so. There's no comparison in terms of quality in the hoody I bought and the nike one. Now if the nike one was around €40 then I might buy it. I think they could do with a 25-35% price reduction across the board. I wouldn't dream of spednign that kind of money on a pair of Nike runners.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Mordeth wrote:
    there *is* a fashion board you know..
    Well i'd say its more sport/retro rather than fashion, but point taken
    alleepally wrote:
    Not to mention their shoddy treatment of human beings making their shoddy products
    I'm aware of the stories that exist regarding there work practices, and i'm sure that you could name off a few other big companies that have a similar rep, but tbh i'll still buy the product
    RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Hey delly, I hear ya. I'm pleased you have gotten such pleasure from this new line of plimsolls. I think its amazing people get so excited about runners. But I have to agree with impr0v, they are overpriced, but I wouldn't go as far as to say they are rubbish. For example, I bought a nice hoody in Sloppy Joes in Temple Bar yesterday for about €75. In arnotts today, saw a nice looking Nike hoody (grey, fairly plain), it was €60 or so. There's no comparison in terms of quality in the hoody I bought and the nike one. Now if the nike one was around €40 then I might buy it. I think they could do with a 25-35% price reduction across the board. I wouldn't dream of spending that kind of money on a pair of Nike runners
    Ye, your probably right about the price/quality thing. tbh i don't really go for big names in terms of clothing etc. other than Nike, that and a good pair CAT boots, but i better not say that too loud just in case there also looked badly upon

Hey delly, don't worry if things you like are looked badly upon. You might as well rant on about something you like, rather than just posting "w00t" or another smiley-only post like half-the-fúcking posts. A few dissenting voice are good, especially for boards. Sing your song, fúck the begrudgers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    For example, I bought a nice hoody in Sloppy Joes in Temple Bar yesterday for about €75. In arnotts today, saw a nice looking Nike hoody (grey, fairly plain), it was €60 or so. There's no comparison in terms of quality in the hoody I bought and the nike one. Now if the nike one was around €40 then I might buy it. I think they could do with a 25-35% price reduction across the board.
    Outrageous. If I were you I'd write to Nike and complain about the shoddy quality of their overpriced products. Maybe as a result, the area manager will get onto the company's Department of Employee Intimidation and Rape and get something done. Demand to batter the worker responsible in front of the rest of the sweatshop perhaps. Consumers must not suffer.

Redleslie2 wrote:
    Outrageous. If I were you I'd write to Nike and complain about the shoddy quality of their overpriced products. Maybe as a result, the area manager will get onto the company's Department of Employee Intimidation and Rape and get something done. Demand to batter the worker responsible in front of the rest of the sweatshop perhaps. Consumers must not suffer.
    I understant all those words individually, but together they make no sense. Weird!

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    I understant all those words individually, but together they make no sense. Weird!
    In that case I'd be surprised that you're able to dress yourself, never mind trusted enough to go outside alone and buy clothes. ;)

• Advertisement

This keeps happenning, its like your sentence (i assume you attempted a sentence) just gets mixed up in some kind of automatic-sentence-mixing-upper machine. Either that or the drugs.... Nah, its probably the machine thingy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    This keeps happenning, its like your sentence (i assume you attempted a sentence) just gets mixed up in some kind of automatic-sentence-mixing-upper machine. Either that or the drugs.... Nah, its probably the machine thingy.

inabilty to respond to a well reasoned arguement with an intelligent response?

Inability to form a sentence? (i realise that that isn't a sentence either, but my point is made better by using the vulgarities of your phrasing).

*edit* your defintion of "well reasoned arguement" and mine, differ immensely.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

sorry redleslie but nothing you said made very much sense. so just stop making a fool out of yourself.

LOL Redleslie2 reckons i'm a spoilt brat for wanting to buy Nike in his neg rep comment, LMAO. Next he'll be saying i'm selfish for earning money :p

Jeez, when did this place turn into chavscum.co.uk. Without the humour.

Ah in all seriousness Redleslie2, can we get back on topic here. Can you recommend a retail outlet where one can purchase such items?

I bought a load of stuff in a fair trade shop in Paris, including a hoody for €50 if that's any good to you. Otherwise it's Thomas Pink or Abrahams of Sth Anne St for me baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

If you like bad ass trainors then shop at Schuh they have all the coolest trainors available ..loads of Old skools ones aswell.

Hamburg's hopeless other football team FC St. Pauli has hoodies with nice skull and crossbones motif at their online shop for €35. Just don't wear them in Germany or the neonazis will kick your head in.

• Advertisement

Redleslie2 wrote:
    Jeez, when did this place turn into chavscum.co.uk. Without the humour.

knobjockey.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I dislike Niike and what's worse is that they own Converse Allstar now so I won't be buying those runners I liked so much anymore. :-(

I think RedLeslie was referring to Nike's history of dubious labour policies btw.

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    knobjockey.jpg
    Oct 2003 actually chavscum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Redleslie2 wrote:
    Hamburg's hopeless other football team FC St. Pauli has hoodies with nice skull and crossbones motif at their online shop for €35. Just don't wear them in Germany or the neonazis will kick your head in.

Why?

Why?

Logo-StPAma.jpg

Why?
    They've a tradition of anti-racism and have a left wing following, because Hamburg is that kind of place.

Redleslie2 wrote:
    You mean you joined in October 2003 and that's when "this place" turned into chavscum.co.uk without the humour? Oh, ok then, thanks for clearing that up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

grr - had to post after reading that lot and weigh in my support for RE*AC*TOR. All he asked was where he could get a decent pair of runners and now we're being given high and mighty morality lessons by Redleslie2(and pals), who we now know buys his clothes in Paris markets, supports a weird German team, and disapproves of Nike. How cosmopolitan and unpretentious.

RE*AC*TOR I always found the best place to buy Nikes was Ebay, even with the postage from the US you can get most of them cheaper, especially the old AJ re-releases (which I hear are made by the kids with the smallest hands so the stitching is really good ;) )

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    You mean you joined in October 2003 and that's when "this place" turned into chavscum.co.uk without the humour? Oh, ok then, thanks for clearing that up.
    What the fück is wrong with you precisely?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

Redleslie2 wrote:
    What the fück is wrong with you precisely?

Take your off topic shlte else where.

Optikus wrote:

what the **** is wrong with you exactly?

Johnnycabs wrote:
    (which I hear are made by the kids with the smallest hands so the stitching is really good ;) )

Okay, you're probably joking there but it raises a question - do people really care so little about dodgy labour practices of big companies? Is it really that easy to make abstraction of the suffering of other human beings?

I know that it can be hard to track what company owns what brand and so on but in the case of Nike, its manufacturing practices have been documented and publicised quite a bit. I'm also aware that Nike has made efforts to clean up its act in recent times but do people really trust it so easily?

out of sight, out of mind. *shrug*

people are happier not thinking about stuff like this when it makes life easier and more comfortable.

oh, and trendier :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Look at the nice shiny ads. Nobody who advertises shoes with ads that cool could be responsible for human rights violations!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Redleslie2 wrote:
    If you joined in Oct 2003, you should really inquire as to why your reg date is May 04. It's quite misleading :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

He's Bubbles. It's the only explanation.

Honestly Sarky, you think everyone is bubbles these days

Johnnycabs wrote:
    grr - had to post after reading that lot and weigh in my support for RE*AC*TOR. All he asked was where he could get a decent pair of runners and now we're being given high and mighty morality lessons by Redleslie2(and pals), who we now know buys his clothes in Paris markets, supports a weird German team, and disapproves of Nike. How cosmopolitan and unpretentious.

RE*AC*TOR I always found the best place to buy Nikes was Ebay, even with the postage from the US you can get most of them cheaper, especially the old AJ re-releases (which I hear are made by the kids with the smallest hands so the stitching is really good ;) )
    Not only are chavscum and wannabe chavscum so congenitally thick that they pay stupid money for slave labour made stuff and moan about the quality when other better stuff can be got for up to half the price with minimal effort, apparently they have absolutely no idea when someone's taking the pìss out of them. It's not politically correct to say this but I fücking detest every single one of the spoilt witless sphincters and I wish to fücking cringing christ that we had an army we could shove them into so we could send them off to get slaughtered (by either american friendly fire or muslim headers, doesn't matter) in Beheadistan or somewhere, just to teach them a lesson like.

Raphael wrote:
    If you joined in Oct 2003, you should really inquire as to why your reg date is May 04. It's quite misleading :rolleyes:
    :)

maybe..
    he..

had another account?

no...

couldn't be..

Raphael wrote:
    Honestly Sarky, you think everyone is bubbles these days

It's the only way to be sure dammit!

• Advertisement

Optikus wrote:
    Chavscum appeaser. :mad:

Mordeth wrote:

maybe..
    he..

had another account?

no...

couldn't be..

You must be taking very strange drugs to think that such a thing could happen. The universe would pop out of existence if a multiple account came into being.

i'm high on life!

Mordeth wrote:
    i'm high on life!

That sounds dangerous. Ban it!

Mordeth wrote:

maybe..
    he..

had another account?

no...

couldn't be..
    Your idea's intruige me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter

Jaysus!
    I didn't realise such a brand of holier-than thou' moralistic a-hole existed. I can understand the bad labour practices associated with NIke. Personal;ly, I don't own any Nike stuff. Delly just wanted a little reminiscing about the good old days of basketball runners. It didn't require neg rep, nor did my joke. But that's your perrogative. Now as for the repeated "chavscum" trolling, get over it - you think people who buy nike's are scangers - wow! that's such an original thought that you have to keep ramming it down our throat. In fact every time you say it, it gets a little better.

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Jaysus!
    I didn't realise such a brand of holier-than thou' moralistic a-hole existed. I can understand the bad labour practices associated with NIke. Personal;ly, I don't own any Nike stuff. Delly just wanted a little reminiscing about the good old days of basketball runners. It didn't require neg rep, nor did my joke. But that's your perrogative. Now as for the repeated "chavscum" trolling, get over it - you think people who buy nike's are scangers - wow! that's such an original thought that you have to keep ramming it down our throat. In fact every time you say it, it gets a little better.
    Politically correct liberal toss. :(

vietnam_deathpenalty_aug03.jpg

We should liquidate the chavscum classes and turn them into something moderately useful like soap and lampshades and studiously ignore the bleating 'holier-than thou' moralistic a-hole' **** who'll probably object.

According to the rep comment you sent me, you also have the account Redleslie.

Why do you need 2, pray tell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Redleslie2 wrote:
    We should liquidate the chavscum classes and turn them into something moderately useful like soap and lampshades and studiously ignore the bleating 'holier-than thou' moralistic a-hole' **** who'll probably object.
    So you're saying that the way Nike treats it's workers is bad, and then you're advocating the liquadation of massive slices of our own population? You're even dumber than you sound, and you don't sound all that smart.

Raphael wrote:
    According to the rep comment you sent me, you also have the account Redleslie.

Why do you need 2, pray tell?
    None of your business. And what has this got to do with liquidating chavscum.

• Advertisement
Advertisement