Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Charlton - scores

• 23-10-2004 7:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭

Ended 2 nil in the end and really should have been more..

Garcia and Alonso are coming along nicely. Kewell seems to have responded to getting dropped well. Finnan and Risse seem to be "fixed" after GH "broke" them..

Happy days

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Was impressed with Finnan, he played very well, likewise Garcia. Alonso was very steady, and sat fairly deep. Some criminal misses in the first half. The two chances they converted weren't even really chances. They'll have to be more ruthless with teams that are more likely to punish their wastefulness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Good game to watch and a good result for the pool. Two in a row now, and with a pretty settled team too, wouldn't have happened in GH's day. Agreed that they squandered a few good chances but good to see Cisse still trying, I think that once he sticks a couple he will be sensational but until then we will have to put up with the offsisde decisions. Great to see them chasing balls all the way to the end of the pitch too, last season there was alot of if it's not in our half then we don't need to worry so much about it but now every ball is a ball that has to be won.

Anyway fifth with a game in hand over most of the guys above them is not too bad. Looks like Rafa is building something to challenge the top two with this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Another good home win for Liverpool. It'll be interesting to see if Benitez can fix their away form next!

Ironic to see people criticising him lately, considering they're above United... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

mr_angry wrote:
    Another good home win for Liverpool. It'll be interesting to see if Benitez can fix their away form next!

Ironic to see people criticising him lately, considering they're above United... ;)

theyve lost to manutd and chelsea, maybe that has something to do with it? the rest have been expected wins, with an unexpected defeat against bolton.

whatever about unexpected defeats, they must beat their rivals if they are to collect a trophy they have never won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

smemon wrote:
    theyve lost to manutd and chelsea, maybe that has something to do with it? the rest have been expected wins, with an unexpected defeat against bolton.

whatever about unexpected defeats, they must beat their rivals if they are to collect a trophy they have never won.

Ah bless.. Doing some flame baiting are we? Yes, loosing to Chelsea and United in the first 7 league games of yout time in the club is a massive failure.. See what happens in the second half of the season..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

smemon wrote:

In all fairness now, they are not in a bad position considering how many people are criticising their play, and saying how **** they are, and how bad their new players are. 2 of their toughest games of the season already gone, and they only lost by 1 goal in each of them. Bolton isnt an easy place to go this year too. And they are well set.

They have been blowing teams away at Anfield. Might not be the toughest oposition but long may it continue. Alonso is a class player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

2 nil to charlton keeps the unbeaten at home record intact but it could have and should have been more. Riise and Garcia both had a couple of chances in the first half.

The strikers are still on a different wavelength and Benitez needs to sort this out as there is a long way to go yet if they want to qualify for next seasons champions league. There is no way this team is going to win the title this season unless he changes the strike pairing to one that will work together.

Winning the season this year didnt even enter my mind...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Only saw the highlights last night, again fluid possession and looked comfortable with Traore in the opposition peno area! :eek: Interesting that Cisse ended up on the right wing again, another Diouf type situation anyone?

Mike.

ps Owen scored again last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

smemon wrote:

Bullcrap. Beating your rivals is nice, but beating the other 17 teams will win you the league.

Haven't seen the highlights yet, sounds promising though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Garcia and Alonso wre quality . Should we have converted all the chances in the first half it would have been 8 - 0 .

On recent form Liverpool are looking impressive .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

smemon wrote:

And even though the pool have lost to Man U, they are still ahead of them in the league. I know this is not a united thread, but way back when United were the dominant force in the country, they would have beaten most of the following teams - Birmingham, Middlesborough, Blackburn, Chelsea, Everton and Bolton.

Again, a good result from the pool and looks like squad building is going well. It would have been a cracker had that volley from Garcia gone in.

If they can retain unbeaten at home provide more solid performances away from home then they have a good chance of finishing in the top four which unfortunately seems tobe acceptable these days.

Personally I'd like them to forget about the champions league and focus on winning the title as it's been far too long in coming.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

cerbeus wrote:
    If they can retain unbeaten at home provide more solid performances away from home then they have a good chance of finishing in the top four which unfortunately seems tobe acceptable these days.

i'd be shocked if we didn't manage a top 4 position, at the moment im fairly confident we can reach the dizzying heights of 3rd
    :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

And even though the pool have lost to Man U, they are still ahead of them in the league. I know this is not a united thread, but way back when United were the dominant force in the country, they would have beaten most of the following teams - Birmingham, Middlesborough, Blackburn, Chelsea, Everton and Bolton.

Again, a good result from the pool and looks like squad building is going well. It would have been a cracker had that volley from Garcia gone in.

true but our ability to beat our rivals proves on our day we are up with/ if not better than them. lets not get carried away with liverpool's world beating run lately.

anyone who says winning the league didnt enter their mind means, next year will be our year. back to the old 'next year' saying. if liverpool are capable of winning the league they'll produce this form week in week out and stand up and be counted when the chips are down. nobody regards everton as a championship contender despite being placed above liverpool, 3 points behind arsenal. position, or who your above at this stage means little.

i wouldnt be boasting about being ahead of utd, utds worst start in years. we'll see if liverpool are top come may, somehow i doubt it, the same way i doubt everton and bolton will be up there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ability to beat rivals is good in the FA Cup and European Champions League

Ability to win Premiership is dependent on beating Cystal Palace 3-0
    Liverpool look like they are able to do that, and a point off Bolton away I think is a damm good point.

And once you get the beating Cystal Palce 3-0 sorted, you gain the ability to beat your rivals.

Benitez is one of the best managers around and I have very high expectations of what he will do over the coming years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

mike65 wrote:
    ps Owen scored again last night

Then he did nothing for the rest of the half of any real note, and was substituted just after half time.

Good to see Liverpool beat Charlton, they've always been a bit of a bogey team. Like PHB says it's not all about beating your close rivals in the league, 3 points is 3 points no matter who you play. It's nice to see the team playing with a bit of confidence again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

only saw the second half, good performance. garcia is alot better playing off the front man then on the right. amazing goal too.

still dont like risse, prefer to see kewel ahead of him. i still think getting champions league will be tough. 3rd and 4th place will be a battle between us, united and newcastle, and possibley one outsider.

still have to sort out are away form. But were improving though so thats a good sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

It's always good to put away a couple of crackers but I have to say it doesn't exactly put me at ease. Most of the time attempts like these wouldn't have gone in, so if you think on a normal day: these two might have just blazed over the bar as they were both outside-the-box attempts. We have to face up to the fact that our finishing has been poor. Look at the amount of chances Baros missed! Its quite lucky that Risse and Garcia came up with the right cards or else we could have been looking at another of those 0-0. I'm not trying to be sinnacle- Liverpool definitely deserved that win but this thought is lingering at the back of my mind.

smemon wrote:

So does this mean that United are now a better team than Arsenal because of todays win and does it also mean that United are now in a better position to challenge for the title than Arsenal?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

I dont support either Arsenal or Man Utd, I got to see the match highlights and there were some questionable decisions,

No free against luinburg when ferdinand tackled him,
    No way was that a penality for rooney, he dived
    Van nistletroy should have been sent of for that cynical tackle on Ashley Cole, those kind of things seems to be part and parcel of his game and he never gets punished.

Maybe the ref was giving the home team a break and wanted to see the gap closed but man utd looked like a side cheating a bit.

Man Utd will have to start winning a lot of their games now if they seriously want to challenge for the title. I wonder if they can start doing that now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Was Finnan played at RB? He got bonus points on fantasy premier league for his performance.
    I dont support either Arsenal or Man Utd, I got to see the match highlights and there were some questionable decisions,

No free against luinburg when ferdinand tackled him,
    No way was that a penality for rooney, he dived
    Van nistletroy should have been sent of for that cynical tackle on Ashley Cole, those kind of things seems to be part and parcel of his game and he never gets punished.

Maybe the ref was giving the home team a break and wanted to see the gap closed but man utd looked like a side cheating a bit.

Man Utd will have to start winning a lot of their games now if they seriously want to challenge for the title. I wonder if they can start doing that now.
    wrong forum. :D

Finann was RB as Josemi was banned for picking up two yellow cards in the previous match against Fulham.

He done very well there too

He did. Am not sure where his better position is this season but nice to see him performing well and hopefully he'll improve even more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

cerbeus wrote:
    He did. Am not sure where his better position is this season but nice to see him performing well and hopefully he'll improve even more.

The whole Livepool team are begining to gel and perform as a unit. I think they may have problems up front but apart from that they look a much better team than they did last year. They now have the ability and belief to take points of the top teams and will have a say in the run in to the title this season. I think they are a player or two short of winning it this year but the new Manager has moved them in the right direction.

I personally would like him to keep his position on the wide right.. Josemi is more than adequate as a right back and Carr does the job for Ireland. It would beneift Ireland and Liverpool if he keeps improving as he is in that position.

As for TheMuppet, very optimistic but I can see myself coming around your of thinking ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Pretty much one way traffic throughout but I'm happy with 2-0.

Is it just me or does Josemi look like an ugly Harry Kewell?

Advertisement