Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site Feedback

Options
  • 23-10-2004 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Alright folks,

Just looking for a little feedback on a Company site I just did. It's a very small company at the moment and I just needed a site up quickly.

What do you think? I know it's lacking volume but any feedback would be welcomed!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Looks ok, although the text is pretty tiny for me (Firefox, Mac). Also, the links on left bar dont work - is this just a temporary thing or is the website linkless?

And when I click join for newsletter it doesn't do anything. Do I need to type my email addy there? Are you going to put examples of your custom programmed shopping cart software up on the site?

Oh and also, many people wouldn't trust a company that has just a mobile number as their contact number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 G Designs

Yeah it's linkless at the moment. And the newsletter doesn't do anything yet either. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,443 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Don't take this too hard.

Text size is a little small

In "Full Web Sites from €99 including photography" change "photography" to "images" - you aren't going to take the pictures for them.

The scipted "G" in http://www.gdesigns.org/pics/to.jpg doesn't look like a "G", if you know what I mean.

What does the "join" button do?

Who's the chick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭eoin_f

cant get links on side bar to work, text size seems small, can you enlarge ti all by 20%?? like design layout of page and would like to see it with more working elements to comment more

Eoin.

The chick is the kinda babe all us computer dudes pull every weekend! And yeah.. I actually am going to take the pictures for them.

As I've said, it's just a basic layout. It's not a finished site. My mobile number is there because I'm still having the business line installed!

Don't you think I'm aware that the links and news letter are, at the moment, completely functionless? I'd be some kind of spanner to just....... forget :)

Customed programmed shopping cart examples etc will all be on the finished site! I code the software to the companies requirements so I don't have any kind of generic software..

".....The scipted "G" in http://www.gdesigns.org/pics/to.jpg doesn't look like a "G", if you know what I mean....."

Looks like a G to me mate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Hello G Designs,

If you want a my serious opinion, it looks crap... The design looks dated. I could go on talking about it but tbh it looks ****e, I would start again.

I would be willing to design the site, but please for everyones sake dont use that for the company. Pm me if you want, I'll put together a design & Nav for free.

Thanks JoePC

Appreciate your honesty! Perhaps it is ****e... I thought all that was wrong with it was it was lacking in content and functionality.. But you recon the actual design is crap!

What do you think of bearfoot.ie?

G Designs, Im looking at this throught a clients view e.g If I got you to design a website and you came back to me with gdesigns.org I would reject it. The same would go for bearfoot.ie, The site is good but a more professional look is needed.

Thanks JoePC

Yeah I know what you mean Joey. I didn't actually design bearfoot but it was considered really impressive when another guy at the company I used to work for did it.

I just wanted to see if you'd think it was crap too! :)

Well I mean, I've looked at your template site and a lot of them are very impressive. You're abviously at the game awhile.

Can you give me some links as to what you'd consider more professional?

TBH it really comes down to personal taste, I'll tell you what, I'll design a page for G Designs that I think would suite the type of business it is. I should have it finished by tomorow afternoon. have a look at it and see what you think.

Thanks JoePC

• Advertisement

Fair play to ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 mm2

First impression isn't good enough for someone trying to sell webdesign services in my opinion.

Ways to improve:
    • The images at the top and bottom look pixilated, particularly at the curved sections at the top left and right.
    • Don't start the text with "www.gede..." Start with Gdesigns or another word with a capital letter.
    • Bigger images on the left navigation / better still make it text based
    • Instructions for signing up to the newsletter - including option to cancel
    • A better title for the page

Then you would almost be there in terms of appearance.
    Alt tags on all the images, and meta tags, need adding;
    International standard phone numbers, or state your location - rember the interent isn't local.

As for bearfoot, I can see how it might go down quite well with its target audience, and not be liked much by techie - types. It clearly needs to be less reliant on images, and again needs alt tags, but it's quite an informative and easy to use site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 mm2

amazine.com: Flash or simlar -> locks up browser while downloading (firefox mac OSX), site plays loud sounds, generally irritating. Click with care.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,443 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Oh, change the white background to an off-white colour, less harsh on the eyes.
    Don't you think I'm aware that the links and news letter are, at the moment, completely functionless? I'd be some kind of spanner to just....... forget
    Takes all sorts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭deep_end

If you're doing business on the Internet, a professional looking web site is one of the most important aspects of your success.

Your potential customers' first impression of your site will almost instantly determine whether or not you're going to make a sale.

If your web site doesn't look professional, the perceived value of your products will be low. No matter what products or services you may be offering, your web site will literally determine their value.

A Professional Web Site Will...

Drive repeat traffic to your web site
    Increase your web sites popularity, which will provide you with additional links pointing to your site
    Increase your Search Engine ranking and bring additional traffic to your site
    Increase the perceived value of your products and services
    Increase your sales
    Increase your bank account

By simply learning how to design a professional web site, you will significantly increase your traffic, your product's perceived value, your sales and your bank account. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭deep_end

mm2 wrote:
    amazine.com: Flash or simlar -> locks up browser while downloading (firefox mac OSX), site plays loud sounds, generally irritating. Click with care.
    dodgy link is making me rich!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

It doesn't look like a professional site.
    The typography is inconsistent and illegible. The "G" is not easily recognisable as one. It doesn't matter if you know it's a "G" or not - you aren't going to buy your own services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I'd have to agree with Blacknight. The typography lets it down. It doesn't look professional. But its shows some promise, and its a brave to post it online for feedback. I think if you spend more time looking at other designs, especially the typography, then you'll get there in the end.

That said a lot of Irish business are clueless about design and they are delighted with anything bright and shiny. So trust your peers not the client when it comes to design. But bear in mind its their site so they have to like it.

That said I don't know too much about, since my own designs weren't all that hot when I tried my hand at it. So what would I know!!!! :D

Okay guys... I've taken a lot of your advice and redesigned some of the graphics for the site. Mainly the top and bottom parts of the page as I was never really happy with them to begin with!

I think it looks a lot better now, what do you think?

please note: I know the links don't work :)

Thanks for your comments!

I still think it looks cheap and nasty.
    It *may* be an improvement on the original "design", but that doesn't say much.

If the site was a hobby site I might be a bit more generous, but if you are trying to get people to pay for your "skills" you would really need to do something about developing them.

Why don't you head over here and have a look at what professional designers are doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

Yeh, Gdesign, unfortunately it's still not looking professional to me. For a start the bottom image doesn't align correctly with the rest of it. I think there's an overuse of blue, so it's hard to differentiate page elements. It's also squished into the centre, with all that wonderful space all around it. Also, the anti-aliasing on the 'swoops' is a bit poor.

You should also work a bit more on the logo - at the moment it's a bit uninspired. Considering the logo should appear on all your branded stuff, ie. letterheads, ads etc. it's a very important part of your site. A sans-serif font, possibly a nice heavy one like arial black or some such gives off a much more 'modern' feel. I did a quick illustration of the kind of thing I think would look nicer:
    gdesigns.jpg

Keep plugging away at it trying new ideas. This one is a bit of an improvement on your last one, so you're going in the right direction.

Dangerman - nice logo :D Simple and effective - also legible (big plus!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

Oh please make the bad design stop!
    There is absolutely nothing nice about the site sorry.
    And how is the quick links drop down where you have to click twice faster then the normal nav where you just have to click once?

dangerman that's nice.

Advertisement