Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Help Setting Up 2 Computers With BB

Options
  • 24-10-2004 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

I've recently had BB installed by Irish Broadband. Its the 1mb Lite setup. I was informed by them that I could run 2 machines from this service. I setup the 2 machines, with a Netgear wireless unit and a D-Link wireless card. This went okay until I was only getting a 1 rating from the 1 to 5 signal reading on the second machine. I tried everything to sort it out, but to no avail. I then oppted to use a non-wireless unit also by Netgear and cable, but in using this the second machine receives a perfect signal, but I can't get the IP address to work, as it conflicts due to the other machine using the same IP address etc.

Also would the problem be solved by obtaining a second IP address, or should I have to?

Both computers are running on Win XP, and upto date machines.
    I am using a Netgear GS605 4 user ethernet switch.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

signs wrote:
    I've recently had BB installed by Irish Broadband. Its the 1mb Lite setup. I was informed by them that I could run 2 machines from this service. I setup the 2 machines, with a Netgear wireless unit and a D-Link wireless card. This went okay until I was only getting a 1 rating from the 1 to 5 signal reading on the second machine. I tried everything to sort it out, but to no avail. I then oppted to use a non-wireless unit also by Netgear and cable, but in using this the second machine receives a perfect signal, but I can't get the IP address to work, as it conflicts due to the other machine using the same IP address etc.

Also would the problem be solved by obtaining a second IP address, or should I have to?

Both computers are running on Win XP, and upto date machines.
    I am using a Netgear GS605 4 user ethernet switch.

There you go- get a broadband router, not a switch, and you'll be sorted.
    The BB router will have a DHCIP server, which will assign independent subnet IP addresses to its client machines. You can pick up a nice Office-connect system on komplett for about 60 Euro.

There is absolutely no setting up to be done- its a simple plug it in and off you go jobbie. Alternatively you could you a wireless router (try to get a self-configuring one- the netgear setup utility is a bitch)- the belkin 802.11g router (which also have 4 10/100 ports) is about 40-50 (they turn up on the for-sale board here fairly regularly).

Re: poor wireless signal- you probably have a masonry wall in the path of signal?

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 signs

Thanks smccarrick, I'm obtaining a router today and hopefully this time round it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Im also gonna be setting up the 1 meg lite connection with 2 pcs, i was thinking of having 1 pcc with 2 net cards(1=broadband in, 2=connection to switch) and a 8 port switch to the other pc, can 1 pc handle 2 network cards and act as a bridge to allow the net connection to be shared????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Moved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

gline wrote:
    Im also gonna be setting up the 1 meg lite connection with 2 pcs, i was thinking of having 1 pcc with 2 net cards(1=broadband in, 2=connection to switch) and a 8 port switch to the other pc, can 1 pc handle 2 network cards and act as a bridge to allow the net connection to be shared????
    Yes, it can, but why would you waste the time and effort of setting it up and debugging it, when you can get a router for under €50?

It's just not worth the hassle using the PC as a router.

• Advertisement

Ripwave wrote:
    Yes, it can, but why would you waste the time and effort of setting it up and debugging it, when you can get a router for under €50?

It's just not worth the hassle using the PC as a router.
    because i have all the equipment and i will use that pc as a firewall aswell, will it be hard to set up under windows xp???? (also it is a project, i dont mind messin around a bit, to see how things work and experimenting)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

gline wrote:
    because i have all the equipment and i will use that pc as a firewall aswell, will it be hard to set up under windows xp???? (also it is a project, i dont mind messin around a bit, to see how things work and experimenting)
    If they are already networked then all you do is turn on ICS and you're done.

I like the idea of have a firewall/router pc too, but XP isn't the ideal way to do it. If you really want a project and want to learn a bit about networking then try grab yourself an old pc that someone is getting rid of and stick m0n0wall or smoothwall

MrPinK wrote:
    If they are already networked then all you do is turn on ICS and you're done.

I like the idea of have a firewall/router pc too, but XP isn't the ideal way to do it. If you really want a project and want to learn a bit about networking then try grab yourself an old pc that someone is getting rid of and stick m0n0wall or smoothwall
    Cool, i think i will try that eventaully, i have an old pc i can use, if i was using XP , what would be a good firewall to use with that????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

I used ZoneAlarm for years without any problems, but recently I've switched to Kerio. I'm pretty impressed with it so far. You are technically supposed to pay for it once the trial period has ended, but everything still seems to be work just fine after the month is up.

MrPinK wrote:
    I used ZoneAlarm for years without any problems, but recently I've switched to Kerio. I'm pretty impressed with it so far. You are technically supposed to pay for it once the trial period has ended, but everything still seems to be work just fine after the month is up.
    Cool, well i'll try it, i should be using a symantec one as i work for them, but i dnt tink i want to, as i work in d tech support dept and i see all the problems, hehehe.

I was told to try VisNetic Firewall http://www.deerfield.com/products/visnetic-firewall/

I'll have to read up on them

• Advertisement
Advertisement