Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clothing wtf?

• 24-10-2004 1:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

I respect anybodies right to waer what they want. Most of the time i wear long black coats and boots. I think this way of dressing is both practical and stylish, and makes me stand out of the sea of anonimity. but a few times in town and around the commerce block I have been getting funny looks and people shouting "neo" and "matrics" at me. What is wrong with these people?

They dont have the courage that I do to try something totally unique in dress like alot of my fellow science students do. Why wont they let me dress as unusaully as I like and not comment on it? They all dress in the same way all the time. They have no beleifs. I rarely wearmatching socks. I takes courage to dress differently, but I am glad I do as it defines me. I am not part of mainstream society. i am good with computers and spend a lot of time on the interent. there is nothing wrong with this. its very useful. My identity is one of being unique, yet part of a group and of silent pursuit of truth, a bit like Neo I suppose!!

But...
    Why cant they leave me alone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭begbie

Being different is always frowned upon by the majority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

F uck them, i dress slightly more rock orientated than most but funnily enough i don't get sh|t like that, or maybe i dont care enought to notice, so i suggest you stop noticing!

anyway yeah fair fu#ks wearing what you wanna, id wear long black coats but im fairly short and id look ridiculous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Waestrel

Bottle, I am impressed by your clever ways to get around the swear filter. very Smart! ;)

Yeah, sorry about that last post. I'm a bit more rational now.

nah. no worries. thanks for the help though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

some people are just small minded ignnorant ****s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

F uck em all thats what i say,
    if they take time out of their busy schedules to comment on how other people dress you know they need to get out more.
    I used to dress like that all the time and you'd get some of the most stupidest comments thrown at you for doing nothing more than walking down the street.
    We are living in a world of idiots imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Waestrel wrote:
    They dont have the courage that I do to try something totally unique in dress like alot of my fellow science students do.

Totally unique? It's a black trenchcoat mate, not an objet a'art.
    Every wannabe goth and sci-fi fan has one.
    Hell, I even have one.

And as for your unmatching socks, nobody can see them through your (black) boots.

tribble

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I wear mismatching socks most of the time, but only because I'm far too lazy to be bothered pairing them up all the time. I don't consider it to be a statement, and I'd be worried about the mental state of anybody that does.

being different is all well and good but I wonder why you feel you *must* be different, or why being different is good?

It's not wrong, but is it better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

I don't think there's anything unique about black trench coats, boots or odd socks.

And actually i find two things about you that a pretty laughable given your stand for individuality and open-mindedness

Where are you from? Oh i see, there it is. "Dublin (the southside)" :rolleyes:

And i see you're really open-minded about other people from your sig.
    "Trinity college is Gods way of telling us to burn more Protestants."

Way to avoid those stereotypes. :rolleyes:

Killian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Your message seems more along the lines of "Look at me me me memememememmememe"

You judge others for what they wear saying they look like every other tom dick and harry... you on the other hand are a pure individual fighting against the machine...

Get over yourself. Nothing you are wearing sounds unique. Just a different taste. You obviously watched too much Jenny Jones as a kid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Waestrel wrote:
    to try something totally unique in dress like alot of my fellow science students do.
    Repeat after me: "We are all individuals." :)

There will always be groups and cliques, and people will dress similararly. Just don't let it go top you head. :)

And what the fu were you doing in the comerce block? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Waestrel wrote:
    I around the commerce block I have been getting funny looks and people shouting "neo" and "matrix" at me.

Theres you're answer to whats wrong with them right there-as for black trenchcoats and stuff making you stand out-my philosophy tutorial had six black trenchcoats in it on Thursday. I dont those kind of clothes stand out at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

FIGHT THE POWER!
    rob.jpg
    You're my hero Waestrel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 jellymonster

People are always going to find something to bitch about whether your in college or wherever. People never change. It's a cycle you may as well get used to.
    And black trencoats aren't that unique, i have one too....and odd socks but more out of laziness that anything else :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Wear what you want and be happy about it. That's what I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭Baldy

Mordeth wrote:
    and I'd be worried about the mental state of anybody that does.

Mental State hmmmmm ?
    01-02-2004 check it out mordeth :D

www.mordfactor.org

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

What you have to ask yourself, is do you really care what those commerce people think of you? I wouldn't be too worried about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

damnyanks wrote:
    Your message seems more along the lines of "Look at me me me memememememmememe"

You judge others for what they wear saying they look like every other tom dick and harry... you on the other hand are a pure individual fighting against the machine...

Get over yourself. Nothing you are wearing sounds unique. Just a different taste. You obviously watched too much Jenny Jones as a kid
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

IOU 5 mins of typing time. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

Is this a troll? I can't believe anyone of university going age would think like that!

You're not unique. You're the same as everyone else. If you want to be 'individual' or 'unique' wear trousers on your head and bright yellow shorts every day. Or dress like the guy in the photo above.

Thats unique and individual, you're just subscribing to a less popular group.

IMO, what you wear has nothing to do with who you are, and people who strive to make a statement through their clothes are attention whores.
    They have no beleifs.

That's about the stupid most ignorant thing you could say, and makes you almost as bad as them for saying silly things at you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Well for a start commerce ppl tend to put more effort into how they look than other faculties, that’s a defining characteristic of south-siders (which the Quinn is full of), Image. It’s not important to you but it is to them. Tolerance is a good thing.

You say ppl tease you because you are different. You also say however that you are trying to make a statement, well here is their response. You asked for it, deal with it.

Now if what you were wearing was for purposes of style or it makes you feel good then my advice would be good for you and there are many like minded individuals in college.

So everyone else just conforms to the norm in your eyes, well that’s your opinion. I see the minute and subtle differences in appearance but all within a loosely defined dress code. Being different is actually encouraged in the Quinn btw, you don’t wanna be around to see what happens when two girls come in wearing the same outfit :) !!

As for those who don’t make bold statements being cowards, seems a little extreme. I am different from the next person but I’m also the same. I am an individual but I am part of a group. But I am me and not them. Follow?
    No there is no deep meaning to the above statement, just a load of gibberish!!

What I’m curious about though is why you seek attention, are you seeking the approval of the group you despise so much? Are you countering rejection with the illusion that it is you who have rejected society not the other way round?
    Within the uniform masses you see in the world around you there are many sub groups and demographics. Many of these exist in harmony with others but at the same time are distinct from those others. There are still more groups who however are unsatisfied to simple coexist. Some of these are the bullies and ignorant twats like those you have met who need to feel superior to those who are different, these are the ones weak by themselves but strong in groups. Then there are groups like you, strong by themselves yet weak in groups.

From your posts you seem judgmental, tunnel versioned and attention seeking.
    My advise: If you want to make a statement be prepared that to take the good with the bad in terms of the response you get.
    Open your eyes and be a bit more tolerent and understanding of those who dont conform to your way of thinking.
    College is supposed to be one of the best times of your life, dont make it suck for you just to prove a point. If what you are doing makes you happy then its good, if it doesnt then you should consider reevaluating it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

you are not your black trenchcoat and new rocks
    unique my ass :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Just wear it, if you think that it looks good on you, if you are a unique person people will find out through getting to know you personally not by looking at the clothes you wear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,456 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Waestrel wrote:
    ... Most of the time i wear long black coats and boots. I think this way of dressing ... makes me stand out of the sea of *anonimity*. but a few times in town and around the commerce block I have been getting funny looks and people shouting "neo" and "*matrics*" at me. What is wrong with these people?

They dont have the courage that I do to try something totally unique in dress like *alot* of my fellow science students do. Why wont they let me dress as *unusaully* as I like and not comment on it? They all dress in the same way all the time. They have no *beleifs*. I rarely *wearmatching* socks. *I takes* courage to dress differently, but I am glad I do as it defines me. I am not part of mainstream society. i am good with computers and spend a lot of time on the *interent*. there is nothing wrong with this. its very useful. My identity is one of being unique, yet part of a group and of silent pursuit of truth, a bit like Neo I suppose!!

But...
    Why cant they leave me alone?

You want to stand out in a sea of anonymity, but do not like the attention this brings.

Imagine what people are saying out of earshot.

I can only hope you are not studying medicine, pharmacy, engineering or any other discipline that directly or indirectly impacts on the health or well-being of man or baest (sic).

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Mr Nightingale

feel it i do that the goth is strong in you waestrel. come to the science faculty. it is a haven for all us 'nerdly' gothic types. we kick it in the computer room on the ground floor of the lecture building (you may have heard of it being refered to as the Nerd Cave). the oxygen pecentage is way down and we try to keep it at least 34C (the heat helps our pores - the best way to get rid of these spots apparently). here no one will laugh at your quasi-american accent or flowing trenchcoat (the nearest thing to wearing a cloak without looking stoopid!)
    May the Matrix be with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Mr Nightingale

testing testing, testing 2 2 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Hanginthere

Fit in , Stand out....
    Ive seen these signs littered around the place its probably to stop angry posts like this, but even so there are far less people with "a bit" of style like you than the legions of oompa loompas out there :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

You think you're a real revolutionary don't you? :rolleyes:
    How can you use the word courage to describe your decision to dress yourself in a particular way? There's nothing courageous about what your doing! Your reasons for doing it are total boll0x! A black trench-coat is neither practical (except maybe for hiding in a dark room) nor stylish.
    Get over yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You are a beautiful unique flower (as long as you have black petals).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

I'm fairly sure that it was me who called you Neo, seriously. Sorry, I thought it was a compliment, was that not the style you were going for?

Did you not want me to lavish attention on you in this way? Is that not why you dress differently?

Advertisement