Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prepaid O2 ISP email settings

Options
  • 24-10-2004 7:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭

I use O2 prepaid on a SE T630. Have no problem with WAP browsing using either GSM or GPRS connection. Every thing is well OK there, but "E-mail" function on the phone "Messaging" menu doesn't seem working.

Tried all settings in the Sticky, follow guides on O2 website and talked to Customer Support, but nothing worked out. There errors are depending on setting I chose, it's either "Server not found" or "Invalid Access Point". Also tried to retrieve mail from my own ISP instead of O2 email, it also didn't work out.

Customer Support has no definite answers and I am sick of trying to get thru the line. And the folks in O2 stores have no clue at all what I am want to do!

What could be the problems? Or is it because Speakeasy users cannot avail this service?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

What type of email account are you trying to check?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Tried O2 and my other ISP.
    Both are POP3 accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Edit: Just follow Dubwireless' post below and that'll sort you out. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Step 1. Make sure you are set up (provisioned) to use the pp.internet access point with O2, calling 1740 should confirm this

Step 2. Set up the ISP Pre-Pay Data connection:

Menu > Connectivity > Data Comm. > Data Accounts > New Account
    GPRS Data
    Name: O2 PP ISP
    APN: pp.internet
    User id: gprs
    Password: gprs
    Save
    Back to Main Menu

Note: you may need to enter the DNS settings if you have trouble 'finding server'
    Open Data Accounts, Select O2 PP ISP, Select Edit, Select DNS address and enter:

Step 3. Create email account, and assign connection to use.

Messaging > E-mail > Options > Edit Account > New Account
    * Account Name: O2 e-mail
    Connect using: O2 PP ISP
    Protocol: POP3 (default)
    * Incoming Server: pop3.o2.ie
    Incoming Port: 110 (pop3 default)
    * Mailbox (username): O2.ie Login Username
    * Password: O2.ie Login Password
    * Outgoing server: smtp.o2.ie
    Outgoing port: 25 (pop3 default)
    * E-mail address: <username>@o2.ie
    Download: Headers only (to then select which mails to fully download, usually saving amount of data used)
    From Name: <Real Name>
    Signature: <Your Signature><
    Copy Outgoing: If On, choose account to copy email to.
    Check Interval: Off (to save data usage), or on to auto check ever X minutes/hours
    Save

Back

Set account
    Choose the email account you just created, e.g. O2 e-mail

Back

Send and receive (sends and receives any mail, and closes connection).

or

Inbox and then select the first item that looks line an up arrow (receives new mail and keeps connection open to select headers to download full email - go back to email menu to be prompted to disconnect)

Some email accounts require you to do a 'receive' before you can send with their SMTP server, others require you to be connected directly to their network before you can send with their SMTP server (e.g. some ISPs)

* Note: these settings you would change for another POP account, bearing in mind you may need to keep the Outgoing server (SMTP) as smtp.o2.ie as you are connected via the O2 network (not the local ISPs)

BrianG

Edit: Just follow Dubwireless' post below and that'll sort you out. :cool:

sorry - hadn't seen any reply when i began writing mine out and took a minute to track down the Speakeasy SIM to check the settings were still ok :)

BrianG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Step 1. Make sure you are set up (provisioned) to use the pp.internet access point with O2, calling 1740 should confirm this
    That sorts everything now! Cant believe after I had gone thru this for weeks and the only reason I couldn't access my mail was because I didn't have permission to pp.internet. Now I can check e-mail on the move! Thanks folks!

I had the same problem. I called 1747 at the time and the rep tried to say I was talking crap, that once you're provisioned for GPRS/MMS you're provisioned for the ISP too (which is rubbish). I then made it clear that my phone worked fine with another O2 SIM.
    After that she put me on hold for a bit and said "turn your phone off and back on again." She obviously got the account set up when I was on hold and didn't admit that she was wrong, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

I had the same issue with O2 - they gave me all the settings but didn't work ('server not found - APN' or the like). Called O2 again and confirmed the pp.internet settings and all I was told was 'well, that's what it is down here'. Thankfully, online later I found this thread via Google, so armed with knowledge (!), I called up O2 again. This time I was put through to someone who said 'yeah, that couldn't work for you as we haven't enabled pp.internet on your SIM card yet'! After this, GPRS internet worked :)

Has anyone had any success using email on their phone with the GSM Internet settings? GPRS Internet + email on my SE T68i works fine. However, when I use the GSM Internet settings, I can send text emails but if I attach, say, a photo, the send fails after a minute with 'send failed'. The reason why I want to go the GSM route for email is that I sent a small picture by email with GPRS Internet on O2 .. and it cost €1.20!! The same over GSM Internet will cost maybe 25c. I called up O2 and they said 'we only have GPRS Internet settings for your phone'.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
    ..Francis

here's what I used with an O2 PrePay GSM dial-up on a T610 (don't have a T68i anymore but the T610 settings are similar so may help)

Data Account:
    Name: O2 ISP GSM
    Phone: +353866066020
    User Id: register@o2.ie
    Password: guest
    Password request: Off
    Data Rate: 14.4 kbits/s may work, if not use 9.6 kbits/s
    Dial Type: Analogue
    DNS Address: blank (default)

I edited my Email POP account to use that connection and was able to send an email with a picture from 'My Pictures' as an attachment.

One thing to note, if the sending fails or the email is saved in 'Drafts' the picture was automatically unattached - so it would need to be attached again before sending.

BrianG

Advertisement