Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favourite Christmas movie?

• 24-10-2004 11:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭

Woke up this morning feelin all christmassy, so i thought i'd put this one to ye.

What's your favourite Christmas movie? Not necessarily an Xmas themed one, just whatever one you watch EVERY Christmas without fail and when you see it during the year, always reminds you of the holiday season.

For me it's Raiders of The Lost Ark, watched it a few weeks ago and it made me feel all festive and stuff.

Anyone else??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭shiv

National Lampoon's Xmas Vacation. cheesy I know, but it still makes me laugh :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Don't really have one, more of a set list that I make sure to watch EVERY xmas....

nightmare before xmas,
    indy trilogy,
    gremlins,
    home alone,
    star wars 4-6,
    die hard,
    batman (1989 version)
    labyrinth,
    ghostbusters,
    the snowman (technically tv is suppose),
    it's a wonderful life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

If I don't see Scrooged before Christmas Day, my entire Christmas is ruined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

Die-Hard !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The Nightmare Before Christmas
    Scrooged
    Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory (shockingly, i don't think this was on last year!)
    National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Die Hard
    Gremlins
    A Nightmare Before Christmas
    Indiana Jones
    And when they used to show the original Star Wars trilogy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

It's a wonderful life:- The original black & white version starring the late great James Stewart, where he is saved from commiting suicide by his guardian Angel.

The only film that makes me sad and joyful at the same time, unbeatable .

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Definetly the Indiana Jones films. Other than that, I can't think of anything else I would've watched christmas past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

the santa claus is great.. tim allen rules!
    home alone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Debby Does Dallas VI: The X-Mas Factor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Paddy20 wrote:
    It's a wonderful life:- The original black & white version starring the late great James Stewart, where he is saved from commiting suicide by his guardian Angel.

P.

I discovered last Christmas that it's far better to turn the volume down and make your own dialogue.

"Shut up, son, or it's the discipline box again for you!"

Oh, the memories...

Die Hard is the ultimate Christmas film, though. It's got Christmas cheer, love, and a whole lot of stuff getting the bejaysus shot/blown/kicked out of it. And the amount of suffering Bruce Willis goes through is just the thing to give you that warm fuzzy glow inside...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

nightmare before christmas
    the santa clause
    die hard

there's a few but not many "christmas cheer" movies would make it into my list. except that 42nd street film (forget the name)... i remember seeing that years ago and feeling all warm and fuzzy inside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

Scrooged is the best ...very fond memorys for me when watching that, reminds me of the days when i enjoyed christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭scoey

Home Alone and The Muppets Christmas Carol are two that I enjoy watching every christmas because they remind me of when I was younger and make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside and stuff... :D

It's a Wonderful Life is also a great christmas movie(as I'm sure everyone knows).

Home Alone has that effect on me to .....what ever happened to that macauly culcan kid anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭shiv

Optikus wrote:
    Home Alone has that effect on me to .....what ever happened to that macauly culcan kid anyway?

he got older, less cuter, got married, got divorced, and has done a few artsy movies lately.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

shiv wrote:
    he got older, less cuter, got married, got divorced, and has done a few artsy movies lately.
    Not to mention getting arrested recently. He's in "Saved!" which opens this Friday.

For me also I've got to include 'Die Hard' (ho ho ho, now I have a gun...) and 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory'. One that seems to be creeping in is 'Babe'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

ixoy wrote:
    Not to mention getting arrested recently. He's in "Saved!" which opens this Friday.

For me also I've got to include 'Die Hard' (ho ho ho, now I have a gun...) and 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory'. One that seems to be creeping in is 'Babe'.

What was he arrested for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Optikus wrote:
    What was he arrested for?
    He was arrested for "possession of a controlled dangerous substance without a prescription and possession of marijuana"

He wasn't great in 'Saved' - i personally think Tim Robbin's daughter stole the show in it. And suprisingly, Mandy Moore was a lot less repulsive in it than usual.

By the way everyone, since it seems to be on a few people's lists, i thought i'd mention The Nightmare Before Christmas is on next Saturday night on UTV at 12:50am.!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭begbie

Indiana Jones

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭scoey

basquille wrote:
    By the way everyone, since it seems to be on a few people's lists, i thought i'd mention The Nightmare Before Christmas is on next Saturday night on UTV at 12:50am.!

Thanks a lot for that , I've wanted to see that movie for ages but I never would have noticed it was on that late. I'll have to remember to watch it :D

Also , it seems I'm the only one who likes The Muppets Christmas Carrol, for shame all of you, it truely is fantastic :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

muppets christmas carol = pure genius. i love it.

the wizard of oz isn't christmassy, but they do put it on every christmas. does that count?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

Willy Wonka
    Home Alone
    Raiders Of The Lost Ark
    any of the Back To The Future films

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Chevano Riley

Paddy20 wrote:

P.
    that film is so close to flawless. its such a soppy piece of **** but its just impossible to be cynical about it.

the post im quoting implies there was a remake... was there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

scoey wrote:
    Also , it seems I'm the only one who likes The Muppets Christmas Carrol, for shame all of you, it truely is fantastic :D

no you're not alone, for it is quite the class show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Chevano Riley,

Re: ITS A WONDERFUL LIFE.

My post may have read as if a remake had been made, but no, not as yet afaik. Anyway, how could anyone dare trying to remake perfection ?... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

I know its bad but i always watch them when there on

Willy Wonka's chocolate factory

Raiders Of The Lost Ark

Champ

And of course Die hard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭weerez

A Christmas Story is the best.

"hmm 'Fragile'.....must be Italian"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭the celtic tiger

top of the list is It's a wonderful life.
    then, home alone.
    then, **** but i love it....the santa clause .

in the top 10 would be santa clause the movie, scrooged and national lampoons christmas vacation.

lovin it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

It's Gremlins for me as well....

I just love that scene where Phoebe Cates tells the story of why her family don't celebrate christmas... it just comes out of nowhere and it's cracks me up every time...

I just wish we could have heard the whole Presidents Day story in Gremlins 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

Starwars Ep.IV
    The Wizard of Oz
    Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
    Home Alone
    E.T. (I was brought to see that when I was 8 by my brother and his girlf. It was just before christmas and I was stuffed full of icecream afterwards and my brother's girlfriend bought me an ET dolly... so I have to watch that at christmas... brings back cool memories)
    All the Carry On movies are always on over Christmas
    For years and years I used to watch Waynes World on Christmas Eve (weird really)
    Groundhog Day always followed Waynes World :p
    I have to see The Snowman and all the Wallace and Gromit cartoons too.
    I'm just a huge kid at heart :D
    They always have the old Charlie Chaplin movies and Laurel and Hardy movies on at Christmas early in the morning too... I always have to watch those... Classic! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Vamp IRL

Home Alone
    Die Hard
    Grandma got run over by a reindeer(cartoon network) :D
    Nightmare before Christmas

Advertisement