Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Magnolia

• 24-10-2004 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭

I just got around to watching Magnolia a few years after the fact, and wondered what people thought of it..
    It certainly was unique, and I think all the different stories worked well together, although I'm still a bit confused about the raining frogs part...
    Tom Cruise was excellent, as was Julianne Moore.
    I thought the way the characters all sang was a bit strange, but effective as well.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I think it's a great film. It's a bit draining the first time you watch it due to it's pace and runtime but it's gets better and better with each reviewing and I'd say by now it's one of my most watched films.

The frogs falling from the sky is biblical (or at least that's how I interpret it). If you look carefully throughout the film (esp at the three 'stories' at the start) you will see the number '82' in various spots which I'd guess refers to Exodus 8:2 'If you refuse to let them go, behold, I will plague all your borders with frogs'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Twyford

I suppose PTA sought to expose the random and accidental order that dictate our lives and that to bog ones self down in trivial in the face of its ubiguity is...pathetic or something.
    Didnt all those god knows how many broken souls of characters singing together in tandom not suggest some sort of cosmic connection exists between the forlorn?
    Fate, the human condition, acts of god, chance etc.
    All too lofty, grand and self-important for my liking.
    It was artfully directed, and bloody poignant in parts mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭shiv

Pigman II wrote:
    I think it's a great film. It's a bit draining the first time you watch it due to it's pace and runtime but it's gets better and better with each reviewing and I'd say by now it's one of my most watched films.

The frogs falling from the sky is biblical (or at least that's how I interpret it). If you look carefully throughout the film (esp at the three 'stories' at the start) you will see the number '82' in various spots which I'd guess refers to Exodus 8:2 'If you refuse to let them go, behold, I will plague all your borders with frogs'.

Hi Pigman II, I did find it a bit long, but that's probably just because you become used to the standard, but at least I was in the comfort of my own home :) I definitely have to watch it again to catch all the nuances that flew past. Will have to keep an eye out for the 82s..I really noticed a religious undertone, especially with the cop character..I think I related least to the ex-boy genius, and would have preferred to see more of a resolution with the current boy genius. what else has the director done?

Twyford wrote:
    I suppose PTA sought to expose the random and accidental order that dictate our lives and that to bog ones self down in trivial in the face of its ubiguity is...pathetic or something.
    Didnt all those god knows how many broken souls of characters singing together in tandom not suggest some sort of cosmic connection exists between the forlorn?
    Fate, the human condition, acts of god, chance etc.
    All too lofty, grand and self-important for my liking.
    It was artfully directed, and bloody poignant in parts mind.

Hi Twyford, yeah the whole random accidental chance thing versus so-called coincidence is an interesting subject to explore, especially with the scenarios he's devised. I think maybe he was trying to show there's some sort of cosmic connection not just between the folorn, but all of us in some way, at least those of us that intersect. I know what you mean about it being lofty, but it does make you think, and that's all to rare in films these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭kirn

great film.
    a huge amount of feeling in it, and it think its strangeness only adds to its charm. every character seems to have been lived in, the cop was an excellent character for example, and it didn't wallow in making heros or having villans. the characters were presented as real people with faults and emotions and they make bad decisions just like the rest of us.
    i don't think it was a religious film, i kinda took from it that you have no idea what is going to happen any point, and you shouldn't worry about things too much, that life's too random.
    k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

A truly wonderful movie one. One of the most frequently watched and fondly thought of films in my collection.

I don't think I've seen a better movie looking at the effects of childhood trauma in adulthood. More than a movie of coincidences I think it's about the damaging of children, though it works as both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

I too have to agree that it is a very unique and charming film.. one im very fond of.. Pigman excellant comment on the Bilical stuff, i'll have to keep an eye out for that the next time i watch it.

Very insightful Dappergent, your comments about the damaging of children made me think of the ex-boy genius particularly and his repeated line of how no,it's not dangerous to confuse children with angels..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Have never managed to get through the whole film, even though I love what I have seen of it. The sound track is amazing, especially "Wise up".

Hi Cathy, I've heard mixed reviews of the soundtrack, how many tracks does Aimee Mann have? I particularly liked Save Me and Wise Up, but I'm not sure about what else is on it, or if it's mainly instrumental..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

shiv wrote:
    how many tracks does Aimee Mann have?
    Seems to be nine out of twelve, looking at this. There's also a score soundtrack with nothing but Jon Brion's instrumental stuff on it but I'm not sure if this had a Europe/UK release. Some of the Mann tracks on the soundtrack are also on her "Bachelor No 2" album from 2000.

Thanks sceptre, that seems like a decent amount, are you an aimee mann fan yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭begbie

I haven't seen this movie, but have a friend who has it on dvd. May borrow it off him sometime. I am a fan of Paul Thomas Anderson's work though. I seen "Punch Drunk Love" and was impressed by it.

I have the soundtrack. It's great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The script actually started from a line PT Anderson heard in an Aimee Mann song. The "Now that I've met you, would you object to never seeing each other again?" line.

This is spoken by Claudia when she is on the date with the cop. The whole film was writen around Claudia's character and her speaking that line. And some of Aimee Mann's songs are actually integrated into the film, such as the scene with all the characters singing, and the music that Cludia is playing too loud on her stereo, that makes the cop call around.

It's a very good film. But I find too much was cut out of it. There seems to be a whole storyline missing around the murder, and the little kid who raps the clues, and then when the gun gets stolen. Some of the missing scenes are on DVD, but not enough to make out what was going on.

Last time I watched this film I got stabbed... so I haven't watched it since.. ha

"As the book says, we may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Didn't really like this movie but I'm not going to slate it as a lot of people have a special place in their hearts for this movie. Maybe I need to watch it again. The frogs thing really put me off but seeing Pigmans post I understand now.

Tom Cruise was quality in it "Respect the C**K, Tame the C**T"...

Thanks for the background on how the film came to be, monkeyfudge. That's really interesting. How one line in a song could trigger three hours of interlinking stories and characters..I agree with you about the parts cut out. I watched the extra dvd and while it revealed a bit more about the little gangsta, it still left me hanging. I felt there was more to the tom cruise story as well. His performance was class, not so much for me because I subscribe to his seduce & destroy mentality, ;) , but because it was a real departure from other nicey-nice characters he's played..Convinced me he does actually have some range..

I think Philip Seymour Hoffman is the best thing in it... he's a wonderful actor. Be sure to see him at his best in Love Liza.

Also, I feel sorry for Paul Thomas Anderson, as he runs the risk of being confused with the hellspawn that is Paul WS Anderson...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

its a fantastic film. must re-watch it soon.

"RESPECT THE COCK"

someone was bound to say it

Someone already did.

• Advertisement

which character did he play, monkeyfudge?
    who's the other guy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

12m.jpg

He's super

shiv wrote:
    which character did he play, monkeyfudge?
    who's the other guy?

Hoffman was the nurse who is trying to track down Tom Cruise's character. He's been in all PT Anderson's films.

The other Paul Anderson did Mortal Kombat, Resident Evil and most recently Alien Vrs Predator. Do you see?

Hoffman was the nurse who is trying to track down Tom Cruise's character. He's been in all PT Anderson's films.

The other Paul Anderson did Mortal Kombat, Resident Evil and most recently Alien Vrs Predator. Do you see?

Ah yes, he was excellent. I know I've seen him in other stuff too, just can't put my finger on it..

Yes, quite a difference!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

shiv wrote:
    Ah yes, he was excellent. I know I've seen him in other stuff too, just can't put my finger on it..

Yes, quite a difference!

Philip Seymour Hoffman

Sort of a younger creeper William H Macy.

You may remember me from such scenes as

"Mr Lebowski is a very busy man"

Apparently he's playing Truman Capote next. Best casting years IMO

I loved him in Happiness...

I haven't been able to have phone sex and keep a straight face since seeing him in that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

I loved him in Happiness...

I haven't been able to have phone sex and keep a straight face since seeing him in that...

Happiness particularly the section with the paedophile dad is the most uncomfortable film i have ever seen. I squirmed my way through 3/4 of it before I had to give up.

"I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you"

"But I'm not laughing"

Advertisement