Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Work - Minumum wage

• 24-10-2004 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

I just have a quick question to ask you all

I work part time in a pub and get paid the minimum wage of E7 per hour (Im 18 and irish btw).
    However one of my chinese colleagues , who is 22 and has all the correct work visas etc, only get E5.90 an hour. When she confronted our boss about this he said that after 3months working there she wouold get E7 an hour. The other chinese workers there get 7 euro an hour and they have been working there for about a year and im not sure if they had the same start off pay.

On our contract it says that we have a 3 month 'trial period' and after that we can be laid off or offered more work, so maybe this is why she is only getting 5.90 and hour. But what I want to know is this legal for my boss to do this??
    I just started 3wks ago and im getting 7 euro so it is clearly unfair but i have a sneaking suspicion its illegal exploitation.

Furthermore there are two irish 16 yr olds working there as well and they are on 4.90 an hour(which i believe is legal pay for their age) however they work until finish, which can be around to around 2 or 3 am. IS this also illegal as i was sure 10 pm was the cut off time for this age?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

See here for more information.

If it's the first year of employment since turning 18, then the wage is 5.60, otherwise it should be the full rate.

Here's information on the rights of young people in work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

You're right about the cut-off time being 10pm, but this is always woefully enforced, especially in the bar trade.

As for the Chinese woman being paid less. oasis.gov.ie says the minimum wage is paid to "experienced" adult employess where experienced is:

"An experienced adult employee for the purposes of the Minimum Wage Act is an employee who has any employment whatsoever in any two years over the age of 18."

Still makes it strange that you're paid 7 euro and she isn't.

There's a good page about it here
    http://www.oasis.gov.ie/employment/pay_and_employment/pay_inc_min_wage.html

Advertisement