Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What motorbike to buy??

Options
  • 24-10-2004 1:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭

Guys, need some advice! Just moved to cork and am workin in d city! Have a car but parking is just crazy! want to buy a motorcycle! must be 125cc but Im 23yrs old and 6ft so dont want a small looking bike! any suggestions??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

May I suggest a Honda Varadero.
    Its an excellent first time rider's bike and also great for nipping around the city.
    My mate had one of these for 2 years and never had a single problem with the thing.Dont let the high up seating position fool ya tho coz this bike can flick in and out of corners like an f1 car.If you get the chance to try one out i seriously suggest it. Afaik its only group 2 insurance and it doesnt eat away at the pocket when it comes to petrol either.
    Ps - that was the only pic i could find of the bike,im not trying to flog your mans bike :p

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My vote goes for the Varadero too. I love my bike. It's solid, (relatively) quick, and great for zipping around the traffic. If you do the basic maintenance things, the bike will look after you. I've had another 125 before and it wasn't half as reliable as the Varadero.

Buy second hand. It's an expensive bike to buy new, and like all bikes, depreciates the most in it's first year. Just try to get one with street tyres. I bought mine with semi-dirt tyres, and I'll have to replace them before Winter sets in. Not cheap. The semi-dirts are sketchy on wet tarmac.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭wanabe

cheers guys! seems to be the one to go for alright! any advice on cheapest insurance options!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

well you over 21 so id try Carol Nash if i was you,
    give Hibernian a bell just to get a comparison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

however.. if ud perfer something thats not ugly and is quicker, i suggest the Honda NSR125R, u can get one second hand for bout E3000-E4000 2002 onwards.. They are restrcted and are group 2 insurance aswel.. Ive got one and it can go top speed 85mph restricted and 110mph un-restricted.. They are a sexy bike and are fun too cause u can lean..Check out http://www.bikepics.com/members/kevboy/03nsr125/ for pics of mine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭ciasto

The NSR has my vote, I had one for a couple of years and it drove great. I really abused it but it never gave in. Its was really reliable and it looks well.

I didn’t know that you can restrict them and get into group two insurance.

Apart from that Honda Bross, I know its a 400 but its under 35kw, another reliable bike. Unless your a virago man and like that chopper style. The 125 is also insurance 2 group.

When considering a bike make sure its a low insurance group.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Jesus, a six footer would... uh... "retain" an NSR125 if he sat on it!

adam

Well personally, I wouldn't go for an NSR because I don't think it looks great. Like the little bike that could. If I was going to buy a racing-style machine, I'd go for something with a bit of beef, lacking in the NSR125R imo.

You'll also have trouble finding a decent one second hand, as most of them will have the **** driven out of them, or will be derestricted (which voids your insurance, if you insure it as a 125R).

As dahamsta says, the bike will look very small between your legs.

Go along to a big bike shop (bikeworld comes to mind), they should have both bikes in stock, you can decide for yourself.

seamus wrote:
    Well personally, I wouldn't go for an NSR because I don't think it looks great. Like the little bike that could. If I was going to buy a racing-style machine, I'd go for something with a bit of beef, lacking in the NSR125R imo.

The only thing that you might fault it is the width of the back tyre. Apart from that it very reliable and pretty quick. I mean 110mph is fast enough. Keep in mind the bloke is 23 yr old, what "beef" do you think he is going to insure. A fireblade maybe? Lets be realistic. We live in Ireland where people pay 2,000 for moped insurance.

Oh and bikeworld is in Dublin and he is in Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

For a racer style bike, I'd say a CBR 250 would be more up to the task. Plenty of them around, insurance is relatively low AFAIK and a nice bike. Beefier than an NSR (although NSRs are very popular in Cork, I'd imagine it would be very easy to pick one up second hand).

Virago's a nice bike as well, but a bit "small looking". Maybe a DragStar if you were to go the cruiser route?

• Advertisement

CBR 250 is a pretty cool bike but like most haidryers that rev to 24,000RPM are abused to bits.

But it is a Honda and should be able to take it. If you can get a clean one, then get it, drive it and when you come to sell it, you might even get what you paid for it.

ciasto wrote:
    The only thing that you might fault it is the width of the back tyre. Apart from that it very reliable and pretty quick. I mean 110mph is fast enough.
    110mph *unrestricted*. So you can go faster if you don't mind driving illegally, and risking a hefty fine and ban if you're caught.
    Keep in mind the bloke is 23 yr old, what "beef" do you think he is going to insure.
    I was talking purely in aesthetical terms. The Varadero is a large piece of metal between your legs. It looks and feels beefy, especially beside other 125s. What I meant is if I wanted a racing-style bike, I'd hold off on the NSR until I could afford the insurance for something bigger.

I forgot he was in Cork. Anyone know of any big shops down there?

thanks everybody for the input! some class bikes there. heres my opinion on them look wise! nsr is o.k! that honda bross looks like something a bit different! cbr 250 is a sweet looking machine! varadero looks great! but i reckon that yamaha dragstar is just class! which of these bikes is it possible to drive on a learners bike license?? and is it true if you have a full car licence you can drive a bike under 125cc???

You can drive all bikes on a provisional licence. But you can only drive mopeds up to 50cc on a car licence,

so Full car licencence = Full moped licence

Now its a little more complicated then that if you are just starting out and want a bike over 125cc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

ciasto wrote:
    Now its a little more complicated then that if you are just starting out and want a bike over 125cc

Not at all, cc is irrelevant, its power output thats restricted, as was mentioned a 400cc Honda Bros is 100% learner legal, my 250cc Bandit is learner legal, but you're looking at high premiums if you're < 25. (this being on a provisional A license)
    The Varadero is a lovely machine and has a nice comfortable seating position for commuting in traffic (read manuevering in and out of jammed traffiic:))

Nsrs are crotch rockets, great fun but if he's a big chap he'll look ridiculous up on one, not to mention he'd probably be very uncomfortable hunched over on it, if i was going for a sportsbike i'd go for an FZR250 or a CBR250 rather than a 2stroke with their horrible engine noise and narrow powerband.

so how good would a yamaha dragstar for a person on a learner? would the insurance be reasnoble???

Have you ever had a bike before? Have you ever driven a bike? Not a moped! I'm asking cause I would like to answer your last question!

yeah i have! but only my friends honda 50 around killarney a few tmes!!! why so?

Sorry for some reason I was thinking of the xvs650, and in that case its a big bike. I forgot they make a 125 too. Forget that last post. Yeh the 125 dragstar is group 2 insurance. So its around 1000 euro for third party with hibernian. And Yamaha make good bikes so its a pretty good choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Right, for starters, a nsr 125 will NEVER hit 110mph!!! Unless you push it off a cliff! A restricted nsr 125 will do about 65-70mph and a derestricted one will hit about 90mph, maybe 95mph if your very lucky!

Wanabe, the first thing you should do is go into a bike shop and get them to quote you. Ask them for quotes for a group 2, 3, 4 and 5 bikes. Then you will know what group bike you can afford, so that narrows it down.

Secondly, the most important thing you need to factor in is good gear! Good gear isnt cheap, but if you buy good gear it will last. If i were you and was just starting out i would set a budget of about €800 ish for gear. You can get good helmets for in and around €200, then a jacket for about €250, boots for €150, same for bottoms and about €50 for gloves.

Hope that helps!

• Advertisement

cheers for that BrynW! was thinkin of about 2k to 2 and a half k for the bike! which should get me something decent! checked out insurance on the dragstar works out bout 1k third party! and for some reason i forgot all about the gear involved!! just another question! u know those helmets without the visor! kinda old fashioned ones! do u reckon there any good? can they be got in regular bike shops??

I personally wouldnt wear one of those helmets, but each to their own! i wouldnt wear one firstly cos your face would freeze!!!! And secondly, if the unfortunate does happen and you come off, you have no protection on your face and the last time you want to do is smack your face off the ground or have your face slid down the road! Not all bike shops do them, but you will be able to get one if you wanted, certain bike shops only stock certain makes of helemts, so some shops will have them and some wont!

Oh and by the way, if you have the money, spend as much money as you can on gear. The stuff i listed above would get you good stuff, but it wouldnt be great. Im buying myself a new helmet in the next couple of weeks and its gonna be €500. I would spend more on my new helemt but i dont have the money cos im getting a new bike in the next day or two!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

open face helmets, in ireland? in winter? you'll get frostbite :)the 1%er look is more suited to the californian climate and they are pretty crap for face protection in the event of a spill.

Gear doesnt neccesarily have to be as expensive as BryanW mentioned, i got a good jacket for 180, matching bike pants for 80, both are more than up to keeping out the cold and rain. helmet for 170 and boots for 50ish.
    I wouldnt go out and spend loads on gear until you're sure you're into biking for the long haul, you can always upgrade items one step at a time. dont skimp on gloves though, your hands will freeze in the irish winter if your gloves arent warm enough.
    if you have any relations in the UK get them to buy your helmet and ship it over, no vat is charged on helmets over there, the price difference is astonishing. (try on various helmets in shops here first so you'll know what size you are)

wrt to the type of bike: 125 cruisers will let you down on the motorway/dual carraigeway, they take ages to get up to top speed, and be prepared to be passed out a lot, conversely you're very unlikely to get nabbed for speeding on it. For commuting and town traffic i found my mates virago and maurader to be pretty akward for squeezing in and out of traffic jams and the low seating position means your view above/around the car in front isnt too hot. I'd shy away from the low cc cruisers for all the above reasons, but if your heart is set on it go for it, the dragstar does look lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Right, for starters, a nsr 125 will NEVER hit 110mph!!! Unless you push it off a cliff! A restricted nsr 125 will do about 65-70mph and a derestricted one will hit about 90mph, maybe 95mph if your very lucky!

Ok, mate, ive got an Honda NSR125 and its restrcted, i CAN get 85 mph out of it - restricted - ive even done just over 80mph with a friend on the back - FACT! Now maby the ones you've seen/heard of have all be abused and not taken care of - but mine isnt and i use only the best oil - which is crucial to the nsr's performance. Regarding it unrestrcted - i know for a fact that a well tuned, properly maintained nsr will go 105+ on a straight road - say a dual-carrigeway..

Have a look at a few pics of my NSR from my previous post and say that.. Its a babe magnet of a bike - believe me! Dont listen to this muppit - all he goes on about is the size of the bike - the nsr is not a big bike but it is not a fat clumsey thing like a Varadero - an ugly bike - ever see its older brother?, the 1000cc one? it was voted uglyist bike ever in BIKE magazine!!
    If your fat you'll look out of place on any small capacity sports bike- nsr75/125 or cbr250, fzr250 etc....
    You'll also have trouble finding a decent one second hand, as most of them will have the **** driven out of them

wrong again mate, there are plenty of decent one's around - try buyandsell.net and search nsr125 - u can get a 2002 one for about E3-3.5K..

ALL THE NSR'S THAT ARE RESTRICTED ARE ONLY 2002 ONWARDS - U CANNOT GET A RESTRICTED NSR BEFORE 2002
    As dahamsta says, the bike will look very small between your legs.

Yeah, it will, if your seriously overweight or very lanky.. Jesus, the Varadero is as slim as the nsr, only its taller...

So, if you getting a bike and want - cheap insurance, sexy looks, great acceleration and top speed go for the NSR, or if you get a good quote on a Honda CBR 250, get that, but alot of them are totally shot, they stopped making them in '96 and most of them are the best looking bikes ever, most cbr250's are the same size(not width) and have have the same top speed(more acceleration) as the nsr125!!

Kev_boy, no offence but your talking throw your ass. Sounds harsh, but this is a fact. I want wanabe to know the CORRECT facts when he is getting a bike. No point in deluding him.

I presume your the same kev_boy from the cbr250.com forum? I dare you to go on their and say what you are saying in this forum. A lot of the lads on that forum have had nsr 125's and they will laugh at what you have said in this thread. If you say to them that a cbr 250 has the same top speed of as a nsr 125 they will shoot you down so quick it will be funny.

Now i know the mods might not like this post, because it may be seen as attacking a member, but i know for a fact he is talking sh*t and i think its totally unfair as there is somebody new to bikes looking for advise and i dont think he should have to read the absolute garbage from this guy.

Wanabe if you want any more info and would prefer not to say it in this thread, feel free to pm me.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My helmet was €150 cheaper on frontiers than bike shops in Dublin. My advice would be to go and take a look at gear you like, check your size and then get the stuff online. Coming up to winter you'll need good gear to keep you toastie! :p

kev boy wrote:
    Have a look at a few pics of my NSR from my previous post and say that.. Its a babe magnet of a bike - believe me! Dont listen to this muppit - all he goes on about is the size of the bike - the nsr is not a big bike but it is not a fat clumsey thing like a Varadero - an ugly bike - ever see its older brother?, the 1000cc one? it was voted uglyist bike ever in BIKE magazine!!
    You see, his original problem was that he didn't want a small bike. The guy is 6ft, and assuming he's not extremely skinny, the NSR will look tiny underneath him.
    wrong again mate, there are plenty of decent one's around - try buyandsell.net and search nsr125 - u can get a 2002 one for about E3-3.5K..
    Really? Spend a lot of time looking at second hand bikes do we? I was looking at bikes a few months ago. I saw 5 NSR's, all wrecked. You may very well find a bargain, but not unless you have a knowlegeable mate with you, and you're willing to look around for a while. You'd get a decent one from a reputable shop, but you'll pay for it.
    the nsr is not a big bike but it is not a fat clumsey thing like a Varadero
    Jesus, the Varadero is as slim as the nsr, only its taller...
    Way to contradict yourself there :rolleyes:

I'm not saying the NSR is a bad choice. As echo says, on dual carraigeways 125 cruisers will suffer badly. I drove one for two years, and although they're great learning bikes, they lack the acceleration and manouverability for city traffic. So the Varadero and NSR are the best two choices for this guy's purpose. They both accelerate well, and get good speed. The Varadero will do 80mph and the NSR > 80mph, if you're willing to push them into the red.

But he specifically asked for a bike that doesn't look too small. In my opinion, the NSR will look small and clumsy underneath him. But that's no reason not to go take a look for himself.

Why are NSR drivers always militantly defending their choice of bike?

as i said b4 all advice is appreciated! everything i learn has to be an advantage for a first time buyer! what do all u guys reckon to the yamaha dragstar 125?? sweet lookin bike! any comments on the performance?? by the way i'm 6ft and 13 and a half stone and sat on a nsr 125 b4 and they are a bit on the small side in my opinion!!!

BrynW wrote:

What planet are you from? I got a ticket from a speed camera in front of me for driving 71 mph on an nsr 80. The 125 will do 110mph no problem, I had one! Did you?

• Advertisement

ciasto wrote:
    What planet are you from? I got a ticket from a speed camera in front of me for driving 71 mph on an nsr 80. The 125 will do 110mph no problem, I had one! Did you?

I had a nsr 80 up until recently and yes it will hit about 70-75, but there is no way a nsr125 will hit 110mph! The nsr 125 is a lot heavier than a nsr 80. This thread is REALLY annoying me because its a ****ING 125 2 stroke bike, it cant do that speed, simple as that. You ask anybody who has a slight knowledge about bike and they will tell you that. And i dont mean ask in bikeshops, because they will tell you anything you want to hear.

I really do find it quite strange that people really believe a nsr 125 will hit 110mph :rolleyes:
    CBR 250 is a pretty cool bike but like most haidryers that rev to 24,000RPM are abused to bits.

Again mate, you are showing yourself up. A cbr 250 doesnt rev to 24,000. A cbr 250 will hit the redline at 19,000 and the red line stops at 21,000. Dont start telling the guy that all these bikes are going to be abused because of the high redline, it is absolute crap. Yes there are abused cbr 250's out there and there is also mint cbr 250's out there, the same is true with every other bike on the road

Advertisement