Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What motorbike to buy??

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

wanabe wrote:
    as i said b4 all advice is appreciated! everything i learn has to be an advantage for a first time buyer! what do all u guys reckon to the yamaha dragstar 125?? sweet lookin bike! any comments on the performance?? by the way i'm 6ft and 13 and a half stone and sat on a nsr 125 b4 and they are a bit on the small side in my opinion!!!

The yamaha dragster really wont suit you if you want it for flirting through traffic or being on a dual carraige way/motorway regulary.

What do you want the bike for? If its just going to be for going in and out of work to avoid the traffic, then a varedero may suit you better than the dragster, but in the end its your decision mate. Try get a test drive of both of them if you can ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Actually, I forgot about the Yahama TDR125. Another two-stroker, but it gets good reviews, and it's a pretty big bike.

That was actually my other choice when I was looking for a bike. I went for the Varadero cos it's 4-stroke. TDR is a nice bike though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

seamus wrote:
    Actually, I forgot about the Yahama TDR125. Another two-stroker, but it gets good reviews, and it's a pretty big bike.

That was actually my other choice when I was looking for a bike. I went for the Varadero cos it's 4-stroke. TDR is a nice bike though.
    ]

I meant to say tdr 125 in my last post aswell! Well said seamus! They are a very good bike, they are lighter than the varedero as far as i know and they are pretty nippy. Only thing is that it is a 2 stroke, so it would need a bit more tlc in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

I've only ever used a TDR125 as a loaner while my bike was being serviced. Not the worst in the world. Reasonable power, nice and short for getting through the traffic.

IMHO a 125 Varadero is an expensive option. You could be loaded, so it mightn't matter to you.

I'd also consider 250cc bikes. If you're going to consider 125s, you'll not be able to use the M category of car B licence as already said. As a 21 yo, why bother with A1 licence? Just go for the A licence. Should save you hassle in the long run. That'll give you more scope when looking in the bike shops. And they should be able to quote you with AON/Axa. But Axa appear to be relatively expensive. But that depends on age and location. YMMV

[Wonder if you'll only be given an A1 licence if you turn up for A test on a 125?? Min engine size for A test is 150cc.]

My first bike as a 125 Marauder which I traded in for something more powerful because it was too heavy a bike for brisk acceleration from the lights on a dualler. And also too long a bike to manoeuvre in city traffic.

a_ominous wrote:
    [Wonder if you'll only be given an A1 licence if you turn up for A test on a 125?? Min engine size for A test is 150cc.]
    They simply won't conduct the test. A bit like turning up for a W test on a moped - you must present yourself for the test in a vehicle of the class for which the licence is sought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

<brain engaged>
    Yup, that makes sense. Wonder if I could turn up for HGV test on a bike!!! :D

Damn those long weekends, takes until late Tuesday afternoon for some areas of the brain to work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Haket

Why does it have to be a 125 ?. Why not go for the restricted A license, 33hp and get a nice 4 stroke. Far less maintenance and it'll prob last longer in the hands of a learner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭ciasto

BrynW wrote:
    Again mate, you are showing yourself up. A cbr 250 doesnt rev to 24,000. A cbr 250 will hit the redline at 19,000 and the red line stops at 21,000. Dont start telling the guy that all these bikes are going to be abused because of the high redline, it is absolute crap. Yes there are abused cbr 250's out there and there is also mint cbr 250's out there, the same is true with every other bike on the road

Is is because I called it a hairdryer that your upset and looking for spelling mistakes in my posts?

If you want to be picky lets be specific. Some rev to 19,000, rev to 20,000, and there are some that rev to 21,000. Depending on what year they are from. So ok I was wrong but I really didn't remember and for some strange reason 24,000 was stuck in my head.

Its not because they are high reving bikes that most of them are in bits, its because people drive the hell out of them and use cooking oil in the engine. After 10 years of pure abuse I don't think you will find many in mint condition. Saying that a guy two doors from me has a mint one but he only drives it on sunday and is about 50 yr of age.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭wanabe

zipping up and down the motorway isnt really necessary!! the main reason for me purchasing this bike is for parking! there is free parking for bikes just across the road from where i work!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

The nsr 125 is a lot heavier than a nsr 80. This thread is REALLY annoying me because its a ****ING 125 2 stroke bike, it cant do that speed, simple as that. You ask anybody who has a slight knowledge about bike and they will tell you that. And i dont mean ask in bikeshops, because they will tell you anything you want to hear.

Just because its a 2-stroke bike dosent mean its slow, people think that just because its a 125 thats its slow, then WHY THE F**K ARE THEY A GROUP 7 BIKE!?? Top speed on any nsr is 200kph on the speedo - that doesnt mean it will do it - but ive got one and talked to many people that have driven then and with the proper tuning and conditions IT WILL DO OVER 100mph!
    by the way i'm 6ft and 13 and a half stone and sat on a nsr 125 b4 and they are a bit on the small side in my opinion!!!

Sorry i never realised this - in that case u should go for something like a varadero - i never said it was a BAD bike, just not the best looking..
    Really? Spend a lot of time looking at second hand bikes do we? I was looking at bikes a few months ago. I saw 5 NSR's, all wrecked. You may very well find a bargain, but not unless you have a knowlegeable mate with you, and you're willing to look around for a while. You'd get a decent one from a reputable shop, but you'll pay for it

you say u saw 5 NSR's that were "all wrecked"?? Im going to have to repeat myself again, but the nsr's im talking about are the 2002 onwards model - the factory restricted ones - only about 90 in the country - all the ones ive seen have been mint.

SEAMUS
    Way to contradict yourself there
    You see, his original problem was that he didn't want a small bike. The guy is 6ft, and assuming he's not extremely skinny, the NSR will look tiny underneath him.
    So the Varadero and NSR are the best two choices for this guy's purpose. They both accelerate well, and get good speed.

what are you saying?? :rolleyes: your the one contradicting yourself, on the one hand your saying the nsr is tiny for him and on the other your saying it and the vara are his best choices - there are LOADS of bikes out there for big fella's like him..
    The Varadero will do 80mph and the NSR > 80mph, if you're willing to push them into the red.

I just got to laugh at that statement! My NSR would burn any varadero off the road... And as ive said b4, ive got 85mph out of mine (not in the red), and that restricted.... Just imagine if you restricted the varadero to less then half its power, like the nsr is, and you would see the difference...
    Why are NSR drivers always militantly defending their choice of bike?

Were not militant, its just ignorance

Bryn
    If you say to them that a cbr 250 has the same top speed of as a nsr 125 they will shoot you down so quick it will be funny.

Its a fact buddy that ON BOTH THE NSR125 AND CBR250, THEY HAVE THE SAME TOP SPEED ON THE SPEEDO - 200KPH - FACT.. That doesent mean they will do it, but what im trying to say is - a unrestricted nsr that is finely tuned and is well taken care of - it could reach the same speed of an old cbr250 which is ten years older... Im not saying acceleration is greater on the nsr, the cbr would beat it, but that the top speeds are not to far off..
    I presume your the same kev_boy from the cbr250.com forum? I dare you to go on their and say what you are saying in this forum.

Im only stating what is true and replying to posts, if there was a discussion on that fourm i would discuss it like i am here, but of course with a fourm like CBR250.COM there would be more people like you defending it and shouting me down

• Advertisement

kev boy wrote:
    you say u saw 5 NSR's that were "all wrecked"?? Im going to have to repeat myself again, but the nsr's im talking about are the 2002 onwards model - the factory restricted ones - only about 90 in the country - all the ones ive seen have been mint.
    1 of them was 2003, 3 were 2002, and 1 was 2001. As I say, all had the **** driven out of them, not looked after at all.
    your the one contradicting yourself, on the one hand your saying the nsr is tiny for him and on the other your saying it and the vara are his best choices - there are LOADS of bikes out there for big fella's like him..
    *Whooosh* <- That's the sound of you missing the point. My point was that the Varadero and the NSR were the best two choices from group 2 (I forgot about the TDR), and the NSR is a little small, so that's why I believe the Varadero is the better choice. For him. There are not loads of 125s out there for big fellas.
    I just got to laugh at that statement! My NSR would burn any varadero off the road... And as ive said b4, ive got 85mph out of mine (not in the red), and that restricted.... Just imagine if you restricted the varadero to less then half its power, like the nsr is, and you would see the difference...
    Um, yeah. That's why I said the Varadero will do upto 80mph and the NSR will do over 80. Read the posts. That's how you get the point.

*Whooosh* <- That's the sound of you missing the point. My point was that the Varadero and the NSR were the best two choices from group 2 (I forgot about the TDR), and the NSR is a little small, so that's why I believe the Varadero is the better choice. For him. There are not loads of 125s out there for big fellas.

:rolleyes: There are alot of 125's out there, cruisers etc..couldnt be bothered naming them all out..
    1 of them was 2003, 3 were 2002, and 1 was 2001. As I say, all had the **** driven out of them, not looked after at all.

Complete bullsh*it, there are not many '02 models around - not alone for sale and ive seen some of em and they were mint - not a scratch - and the engines was perfect.. To say you went around the county to see 5 nsr's and say all had the **** driven out of them is a joke - unless they were damaged intentionally new bikes like that can take a certain amount of a beating... And from your attitute towards the bike on this post it dosent seem likely that your any way interested in nsr's..

Fu*k it, the nsr is obviously too small for this guy, my advice is go for an ugly varadero or maby this would suit him? - http://www.rf600r.l.pl/strony/humor/obrazki/huge%20bike.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭wanabe

your f**king hilarious mate!!!!! you'd swear somebody was insulting your mother the way u defend that bike of yours!! gettin a small bit carried away dont u think!!!!

He's not militant, he's just ignorant, he said it himself ;)

your f**king hilarious mate!!!!! you'd swear somebody was insulting your mother the way u defend that bike of yours!! gettin a small bit carried away dont u think!!!!

Im only taking the piss!! Fu*k it, ive nothing against the varadero, i just hate the way ppl go on about nsr's eg, no way will it go past Xmph...etc...
    I just love my bike - like ye probably do of yeer's - lets just end this by saying........... ;)
    NSR's RULE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭test999

how about a 125 tdr? purty tall

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

wanabe don't mind the kids fighting over nsrs etc!! I have the same prob as you as regards size except i'm on the flipside cos i'm ickle! :p Go to some bike shops and take a look at what they have and try them out for size and even move the bike a little to see how the weight feels. I have a VanVan which is perfect for me in size and weight but it looks like a monkey bike when my bro is on it cos he's around the same build a you!!

wanabe don't mind the kids fighting over nsrs etc!! I have the same prob as you as regards size except i'm on the flipside cos i'm ickle!

your not ickle! your gay! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Hey you're the one whos in love with their bike mate!! For the record i'm a GIRL so thats why i'm not 6ft tall and 13 stone like the rest of youz! :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement