Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This hand in Omaha...

Options
  • 24-10-2004 2:41pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I had this hand last night in Omaha at a very aggressive table. I'd been playing nice and tight and getting paid on a few hands but not really going anywhere when I get ATJJ double suited. Very nice hand so I raise to 10 Euro and get 4 callers. Flop comes QJ9 rainbow. I'm last to act so UTG goes all in, the next guy goes all in and the last guy goes all in and its around to me. They have all bet somewhere in the region of 160 euro which is my entire tank.

Now this isnt a tournie so I dont have to worry about rebuys etc. I HAVE to presume I'm not ahead as one of them surely has the straight. Also QQ is a concern! However the players involved have not only been bluffing but also gambling enormously, especially during the Omaha round.

So I have a King for a better straight, a Jack for a poker, a Q for a house, a 9 for a house or if the river pairs the turn I've a house too.

My concern is that I might be facing QQ and then I'm in serious trouble as if the board pairs he has a higher house then mine and I'm reduced to K and J for outs. Even then, thats 20% odds...

I dont put any of them on the QQ's as the really have been mad gamblers, if it had been tight players I might well have dropped the hand.

I give myself something in the region of 10 outs (in the end its a little higher in my favour) which means that if my estimations of the players hands is correct I should call as I'm getting huge cash back from the pool and we're all more or less all in.

I called for 160 and two of them turned over T8 for the low straight and the other guy is on a mad gamble and has bugger all...
    I didnt hit anything unfortunately and the straights chop it up.... its killing me though because just before I sat into the cash game I had KK and got 3 all ins and I was really intent on putting them down and instead my evil hand called and I ended up facing aces!

Any of the Omaha guys have thoughts on this hand... in the light of day I think I'd still call for the value, I'm getting paid 480 for a 160 bet when I'm 30-40% favourite... Certainly if I was sure there was no QQ out there I wouldnt have thought twice about it.

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Tough decision, if your up against QQ then you should fold: (though its close)

pokenum -o ac ts jc js - 8h 6h 2c tc - qh qs 4s 2h -- qc jh 9s
    Omaha Hi: 666 enumerated boards containing 9s Qc Jh
    cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
    Js Ts Ac Jc 153 22.97 449 67.42 64 9.61 0.278
    Tc 2c 8h 6h 231 34.68 371 55.71 64 9.61 0.395
    Qs 4s Qh 2h 218 32.73 448 67.27 0 0.00 0.327

but if nobody has QQ then you are actually a favourite!

pokenum -o ac ts jc js - 8h 6h 2c tc - 8c th ah 2h -- qc jh 9s
    Omaha Hi: 666 enumerated boards containing 9s Qc Jh
    cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
    Js Ts Ac Jc 317 47.60 221 33.18 128 19.22 0.562
    Tc 2c 8h 6h 0 0.00 415 62.31 251 37.69 0.178
    8c Ah Th 2h 11 1.65 317 47.60 338 50.75 0.260

So you either a small dog or a big favourite, which means you should call. Easier to say that now than in the heat of battle though.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yeah, basically I sat and did some rough numbers and came to that conclusion too and just prayed they werent on QQ but there had been all ins with absolute rags in the Omaha rounds and so I didnt worry too much about QQ because of the players involved. If it had been Irene (who was sitting next to me) and a few of the other steady players I might well have saved myself the cash. (Irene's comment was "I'd have been there for sure with your hand"). Its just a pity it didnt hit :(

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Frankygolucky

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Aye, its a good point but I dont think it applies to this hand and its constructed to illustrate a point that isnt all that common in play but its an interesting hand all the same!

DeV.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

this might be of help as well, a list hand rankings

http://www.thepokerforum.com/pokerhands.htm

no need to thank me de vore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Dev, you did the right thing. You know full well that you are drawing against a made hand but have a lot of outs to give you the nutz. You can either lay it down and not gamble or take a shot, with the loose players being involved in the pot giving you the value to do so. ( although I would have preffered you to have hit your card! ) ;)

Yeah, its true I would have liked to see it hit too... what a take down that would have been, easily 750 in the pot when you include the previous bets.

As it was I lost my 100 notes plus the 60 I'd worked up in profit. :(

I went back last night to play again (after crashing out of the 100 game in style lol).
    Only had 60 with me but turned it into 300 by handing out some nasty beats and flopping a house which I then dropped on two peoples heads :)
    What goes around comes around I guess...

DeV.

this might be of help as well, a list hand rankings

http://www.thepokerforum.com/pokerhands.htm

no need to thank me de vore
    Thanks HJ!! Always nice to have you explain things!!

DeV.

• Advertisement
Advertisement