Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IQ Survey

Options
  • 24-10-2004 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭

The rest of us poor plebs know that all you guys are gifted.
    But just how gifted are you?
    What IQ range do you guys fall into?
    I know there are different scales but for the purpose of the exercise lets use the scale Mensa use.

I don't expect any one to leave names or any thing like that, just click the button. Thanks

What is you IQ 48 votes

David Beckham
    0% 0 votes
    Forrest Gump
    0% 0 votes
    80 - 100
    2% 1 vote
    100 - 120
    4% 2 votes
    120 - 140
    4% 2 votes
    140 - 150
    29% 14 votes
    150 - 160
    27% 13 votes
    Steven Hawkings
    20% 10 votes
    God
    6% 3 votes
    Mother Knows Everything
    6% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I've never taken a Mensa test and I have no intention of going to great lengths to do so. If there's an online one though I'd do it as I'm killing time at the moment. Have you a link to an online version? According to IQTest.com I'm 170 or thereabouts, but I don't trust it because it took me five minutes or something and the questions were all incredibly easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Hagar, in this country, people don't take IQ tests. I'm going to assume from you assuming that we do that you are either not irish, or in the david beckham bracket =p

And if you suggest we take online ones.....your below the beckham bracket. Online IQ tests are abysmal

Not to mention the fact that high IQ doesn't mean genius. IQ measures intelligence potential. Having a high IQ by no means indicates that you are the next Einstein, merely that you could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

I'm from Ireland and I did IQ tests in school.

I did an IQ test years ago when I was like five but nothing since then. And I have no idea what the results were except that they were high. Also, a quick recheck on IQTest.com has shown 150, proving what I already knew, that it's a pile of bollocks as IQ doesn't fluctuate through life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Rapheal, I am Irish, I am not in the David Beckham bracket.
    I'm a Mensa Member and have been for the last 30 years or so - Membership No 10890 if you feel you must check, and I didn't scrape in either. So lighten up on the assumptions please. :mad:

Irish people do take IQ tests.
    If they didn't there wouldn't be any Irish Members in Mensa would there?
    I just rechecked my original post and there was no mention of online tests. :confused:

I was just trying to satisfy my curiousity, there is no need for anyone to respond in any way if they don't choose to.

• Advertisement

And did you do that particular IQ test to gain membership to MENSA, or did you gain membership on credit of a good result in an IQ test

Online tests are the only ones I know of that can be taken in this country, Perhaps things are different in dublin, but the only IQ test I could take would be internet based. I apologise for that assumption.

So, satisfying your curiosity? I suppose that's one way to phrase it...

I think it was an IQ test I took years ago but it was really weird considering the guy who tested me managed to work the fact that I shoot off my left shoulder and eye into his assessment. May have been something different but other than that I think it's only online tests. Hagar, how did you do yours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Just to say the scale Mensa uses is the Cattle B scale. Most of the internet tests use a different one but you can find scale translators if you look on google or somethin'.

162 on the Mensa scale by the way! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I always turn em into a race - i find em hard to take seriously. must take one properly some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Below 75 Learning difficulty

75 - 85 Below Average

85 - 114 Average Middle school graduates

115 - 124 Above average High school graduates

125 - 134 Gifted University graduates

135 - 144 Highly gifted Professionals

145 - 154 Genius Professors/Researchers

155 - 164 Genius Nobel Prize Winners

165 - 179 High genius

180 - 200 Extraordinary genius

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Is that right? o.o

That'd make my sister a Nobel Prize winner... and as smart and all as she is...

Drt. Hibert- 158
    Lisa- 159
    Maggie- A suspected 167
    Dr. Frink- 199 now 197
    Comic Book Guy- 166 (I think)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭pinkpimp

Kev, if you've seen it thirty three times already, change the station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

IQ testing is how I was scouted out for CTYI. A friend of my parent's is a psychologist who was studying for a diploma in IQ testing and she needed some volunteers to run tests on. I can't remember what the name of the test was but it took ages and a couple of months later I got my results back and part of the recommendations was that I apply for CTYI. There was no one definitive number, it was mostly done in percentiles I think.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Hagar wrote:
    Rapheal, I am Irish, I am not in the David Beckham bracket.
    I'm a Mensa Member and have been for the last 30 years or so - Membership No 10890 if you feel you must check, and I didn't scrape in either. So lighten up on the assumptions please. :mad:

Irish people do take IQ tests.
    If they didn't there wouldn't be any Irish Members in Mensa would there?
    I just rechecked my original post and there was no mention of online tests. :confused:

I was just trying to satisfy my curiousity, there is no need for anyone to respond in any way if they don't choose to.

Nevermind him. He likes a good fight. :P

Also a Mensa member but I was utterly disgusted with the supervised exam though. There was no maths on it at all. English is my weak side of things, which is fairly typical of nerds (computer nerds - according to a lecturer of mine).

Anyhow meh. :) IQ is what it is. It's just one of those things that you throw around. I don't feel it measures much particularly. It just leaves you with a number you can try to throw at some people and then you sit quietly as they throw something larger (number of other) back!

I'm talking crap cause I'm sick and don't feel like thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Spraypaint

I dunno about the rest of you but I've done a few IQ tests, mostly online for the hell of it and I've seen some major variations in my scores. We're talking up to 30 points here. As far as I can tell none of us have a definitive IQ or can have because tests and the conditions under which we take them can differ greatly.

Anyway we're members of CTYI so I guess that goes most of the way to proving that we're smmmarter than the av-e-rage bears.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

What about very smart bears though? Are we smarter than them? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭pinkpimp

No-one is smarter than very smart bears.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

What about very smart foxes? With all the cunning, you know...

But then again some of us CTYIers are more cunning than a fox whose just been made professer of cunning at Harvard. (Yeah I ripped of someones sig there)

• Advertisement

Actually, that's just a bastardisation of a blackadder quote

For the terminally curious:

As cunning as a fox what used to be Professor of Cunning at Oxford University but has moved on and is now working for the U.N. at the High Commission of International Cunning Planning.

Aonghus, remind me to disconnect your DSL line.

Aonghus, remind me to disconnect your DSL line.
    Someones jealous

Errr... No. I just think it would be for your physical and mental wellbeing. Yeah, that's what it's about. Ahem
    /Goes to hide bitterness.

Yup thats the right one. love them bastardisations.

Heh. "I Love ^_^" Much entertainment.

Boldrick: Is it as cunning as a fox what used to be Professor of Cunning at Oxford University but has moved on and is now working for the U.N. at the High Commission of International Cunning Planning?

Blackadder: Yes.

Boldrick: Hmm... That's cunning.

That's the full thing. Ahh Blackadder. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bazookatone

It's generally agreed that:
    1: anything above 160 is very intelligent
    2: 170-180 (it's a bit vague) or above is a freak thing that you're born with, you can't learn yourself that clever
    3: people who are that clever usually have the social skills of a Lemur trying to mate with a rock, and are tiresome, because they are told from an early age how smart they are and become arrogant little snots, I kow because I was one until I came to CTYI.
    4: IQ tests are a pretty crappy measure of intelligence.

A much better test is the D.A.T.S. test (Differential Aptitute Test) which measures your intelligence in 7 or 8 areas (Mathematical, verbal, spatial, visual reasoning as well as perpetual speed and accuracy ie doing something repetitive correctly over and over again correctly)
    I took this in my school, it takes as long as the SAT test to get into CTYI. I scored H+ (much higher than average) in almost everything, so tecnically, I am brilliant in virtually every aspect of human endeavour, however, I got 425 points in my Leaving Cert, much less than everyone expected. Which test shows how clever I really am? you decide

The moral of the story
    1: Brains aren't everything
    2: Being too brainy will not make your life better
    3: CTYIers won't miss any oppertunity to remind the world how clever they are (and they are)
    4: CTYIers haven't got enough motivation to get of their arses and d anything useful with their "gift"
    5: I love posting long lists of definitive facts

Now, where's that rock, me's gonna get some lovin' (scratches head like Lemur)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bazookatone

One more thing:
    The smartest animals in the world, according to the faultless logic of Terry Pratchett, is the camel. Most people think it would be dolphins, but if we've cottoned on to how smart dolphins are, obviously they weren't smart enough to pretend not to be so smart, try saying that ten times really fast!

Camels have four stomachs and complex digestive systems, therefore they need a smarter brain to control them, plus, unlike dolphins who'realways helping shipwrecked sailors, camels are smart enough to leave people to die in the desert, thus doing their part to kill off the human race so that camels will be the dominant species on the planet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

wow. good going man. but yeah, intelligence aint everything, and in a slightly grander scheme of things, its fairly low down the list of important things.
    im trying to go somewhere with this.
    the planet probably wont last very much longer and all this will be forgotten. so yeah.
    im going even further from whatever point i thought i had.
    ahh.

Advertisement