Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid question on setting up Linksys WRT54GS with Cayman Netopia

• 24-10-2004 4:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭

I have Eircom Broadband and the DSL modem they supply - the Cayman Netopia. This works fine.
    I recently bought a Linksys WRT54GS wireless broadband router. The Linksys includes a setup disk that supposedly will auto set-up the router. This automatic process did not seem to work properly but after a bit of messing about with Eircom passwords etc I got it to work with one PC directly connected by ethernet cable to the router.
    However, when I look at the status of the internet connection I see that there appears to be a huge volume of traffic between the computer and the router even though there is only small traffic from the router out to the internet.
    EG I had received 30Kb from the internet but sent and received 5Mbs between the computer and the router.
    Shurely some mistake?
    Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Flame on!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

At a guess, and given your description of events, you've been using the Linksys Web interface quite a lot, right? So each time you load up one if its web pages on your PC, that's another bunch of data going back and forth. When you've finished configuring it, and are therefore not using the web interface, the internet traffic and the internal traffic will be a closer match.

P.S. I considered carefully your invitation to flame you, but I'm in a good mood at the moment - maybe next time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Thanks for your reply but I dont think that is the problem. I didnt really do all that much configuring. As I was looking at the status of the internet connection I could see the extremely large traffic between the computer and the router was visibly growing while i watched even though there was no traffic out to the internet and I wasnt doing anything with a browser or downloading anything. I have Norton Anti-Virus so I'm pretty sure there is no virus on my PC.

I have been looking into this some more and I wonder if the problem might be that both the modem and the router think they are DHCP servers? (whatever that means)

Advertisement