Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nearest skatepark

Options
  • 24-10-2004 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi
    I am just returning to Ireland with my family in December after being abroad.We are going to live in Greystones can anybody tell me where the nearest Skatepark or skartboard club?

Thks :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

That'd be ramp and rail in Drumcondra north Dublin about €6 a session I think .
    Theres only 5 skateparks in Ireland wherever you are I'd stay there. Does seem to be a good lot of skaters and BMXers from the greystones area though .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭flutes

i just got back from new zealand where every little town/village we went to had a skatepark of some description whether it was real good or small and crappy its still something, plus they'r completely free. i could leave the house and be on a mini ramp within 5 mins, what a luxury compared to this ****hole (greystones) where the policing force have destroyed every attemp ever made to get somehthing going which caused no harm to anyone. i'v never even been to a skatepark in ireland but this is what it takes my mates to go:

you can only bring your bike on the mainline trains which barely exist,cost: about €6 + €6 for the bike (approx),cycle a few miles to get the the park from the train station.
    travelling time about 3 hours if things run smooth.
    then, i think, bikes are only allowed thursdays and cost is about €10 for the session
    so from start to finish its gonna take hours and you're going to spend about €30 minimum. i suppose if you skate things would be easier.

i mean i'v seen so many local kids who became amazing skaters over the years only to give up way to quick just because theres no motivation to keep it up, no facilities and no encouragement, skating and related activities are just frowned upon. its just the way our culture is and will take alot to change old ways!
    sorry to rant on, not sure if anyone will ever read this but anyway...

that said there is a small core of skaters in greystones, namely 'jerr evans' (the legend) whos been at it since the dawn of time and still kicks arse and a couple of newer heads like chester who are savage,
    they'r the nearsest you'l get to a club so look out for them,

my buds built all the bmx trails about the place which are flattened by the council annually or so, if they could build roads as quick as they can flatten a field full of jumps we'd have the best infrastructure in the world!
    i mean these guys are amazing and have serious potential to be better than i can explain but why bother when thers nothing to ride and you have to watch months worth of digging get reversed in an hour or two, these guys live for bmx but they only ride once evey 2 weeks... if that!
    plus you see generation after generation take up riding only to give up after a couple of years. its demoralising!
    if greystones was in new zealand i reckon it would be the skate/bmx capitol of the universe with pro riders left, right and centre not that, thats what its about but have you ever heard of an irish pro, pretty much every other country comes to mind except ireland when you see the likes of x-games and stuff.

to summarise it up as was said above you'r better off somewhere else unless you like a good chase or feel you can reason with a corrupt backwards run policing system. we're tryin to get a mini-ramp going as we now have a private place for it but we need to get materials so we've started a fund where anyone contributing (money or helping out) will be welcome.

Yeah NZ rules and Ireland does indeed suck. I'll lend a hand building the mini I've built loads before. try www.geocities.ie/irishskateparkforum and www.bentfork.tk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Skateboarding in Ireland sucks in general, do what i did, give up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭clearlyn

Thanks for all the info
    I certainly will look out for the Greystones skate guys mentioned. Situation does not look good with nearby skateparks however you never know when an enthustaic crowd get together!!
    If anybody hears of anything else related please post on the this site.

• Advertisement

nice one, we'r building interest and money at the moment for it, dereks back from Oz before christmas so he should boost along the process a bit, but we could definetly do with someone whos built them before, cheers

I'm out in Greystones nearly once a week if you want to discuss what you're up to I can probably offer advice. I take it you're involved with that petition that hammerheadz shop is backing. Check my site www.geocities.com/irishskateparkforum or mail me at
    irishskateparkforum@yahoo.co.uk and we'll organize something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

there's a new skatepark being built in Blanchardstown behind the shopping centre

shag
    at this stage we'r tryin to get funds, think we'r havin a benefit gig ot two around xmas/new year with all the local bands, so thers nothing happening yet but il keep u informed

Enii - skatepark being built in Blanchardstown. Where did you hear this from?

• Advertisement
Advertisement