Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Vs Arsenal (inc. scores after 4.05pm)

• 24-10-2004 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

Teams

Man Utd:
    Carroll, G, Neville, Ferdinand, Silvestre, Heinze, Ronaldo, P, Neville, Scholes, Giggs, Rooney, van Nistelrooy

Subs: Howard, Brown, Saha, Smith, Miller

Arsenal:
    Lehmann, Lauren, Campbell, Toure, Cole, Ljungberg, Vieira, Edu, Reyes, Bergkamp, Henry

Subs: Pires, Van Persie, Taylor, Fabregas, Cygan

Referee:
    M Riley (W Yorkshire)

No Roy Keane, Neville in instead. Still 0-0

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Arsenal are starting the half positive but still 0-0

1-0
    penality !! VAN NISTELROOY SCORES .

The Dutchamn steps up and after missing in this fixture last season makes no mistake as he sends Lehmann the wrong way.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Muzz

What a joke is all i can say...its hardly surprising though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Muzz wrote:
    What a joke is all i can say...its hardly surprising though!

why is it a joke?
    It was clearly a penalty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There was absolutly zero contact for that penalty, Rooney took a dive and Mike "Manchester" Reilly gave them his ninth Old Trafford penalty in nine games.

How the hell is he still allowed to ref there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Muzz

L5 wrote:
    why is it a joke?
    It was clearly a penalty

LMFAO...

One thing about man utd fans they must be all blind. well that is until it comes to the oppostion.

There was absolutly zero contact for that penalty, Rooney took a dive and Mike "Manchester" Reilly gave them his ninth Old Trafford penalty in nine games.

How the hell is he still allowed to ref there?

stop crying, it makes up for the intimidation by the thugs on V nistelrooy last year after his missed penalty

L5 wrote:
    stop crying, it makes up for the intimidation by the thugs on V nistelrooy last year after his missed penalty

Nice logic, except it has nothing to do with this match. Rooney dived and Riley gave United their usual penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

I haven't seen it yet, but saying a penalty is ok because it makes up for last year is plain ridiculous. Then again, I havent seen it and am basing that on your last post, L5.

Nice logic, except it has nothing to do with this match. Rooney dived and Riley gave United their usual penalty.

Rooney probably learned a few things from watching Pires play maybe?

• Advertisement

Final score 2-0 to united, and the Gooners unbeaten run comes to an end, just short of 50 games, how disappointing for them :)

Hopefully this kick starts uniteds season now, and they go on a good run. :cool:

2-0 to united !! Looks like the title race is back on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

After 1 game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Not the best of games.
    Ferdinand should probably have been sent off and Rooney did dive.
    Arsenal never really made any clear cut chances though, apart from the Henry one just before half-time.
    A draw would have been a fairer result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Roonaldo Roonaldo Roonaldo Roonaldo Roonaldo Roonaldo Roonaldo Roonaldo Roonaldo Roonaldo Roonaldo Roonaldo Roonaldo Roonaldo Roonaldo Roonaldo Roonaldo Roonaldo Roonaldo Roonaldo Roonaldo Roonaldo Roonaldo Roonaldo Roonaldo Roonaldo Roonaldo Roonaldo Roonaldo Roonaldo Roonaldo Roonaldo Roonaldo Roonaldo Roonaldo Roonaldo Roonaldo Roonaldo Roonaldo Roonaldo !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Excellent result, but Utd are deluding themselves if they think they're going to win the league. They were several levels below Arsenal in that game, and thank God Riley gave a penalty for Rooney's dive, because I couldn't see Man U scoring at that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

presumably thats the title race betweeen chelsea and arse ? ;-)

why do arsenal players never stop complaining.... even after the game is over ? they are a great team but act like 7 year olds most of the time, like campbell refusing to shake hands etc. daft.

Anyway as a chelsea fan living in highbury i'm delighted with that result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Rooney probably learned a few things from watching Pires play maybe?

Good thing Toure didnt \o\o\o\o\o\ .

Personally i do think there was contact, minimal probably but contact yes. To be fair to the ref from his pov it looked like campbell tripped Rooney.

Ronaldos was a penalty tho, no question at all. Cole wasnt even close.
    Fedinand may or may not have fouled Ljungberg but i dont think he had possesion anymore as he knocked it way too far ahead.

Arsenal i dont think had 1 clear cut opportunity apart from Henry's. Shows you how tight the defence is getting now tho going forward still looks a bit iffy.

Im delighted, ****ing delighted and i think van the man was too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

Should have been a peno for Renoldo though, Cole clearly took him down. Result should give hope to the rest of the premiership. Will be interesting to see how the Arse react.

growler wrote:
    presumably thats the title race betweeen chelsea and arse ? ;-)

why do arsenal players never stop complaining.... even after the game is over ? they are a great team but act like 7 year olds most of the time, like campbell refusing to shake hands etc. daft.

Anyway as a chelsea fan living in highbury i'm delighted with that result

Liverpool win their game in hand and they'll go ahead of United, six points behind Arsenal and right back into things too. It will probably play into the favour the fact that they're being so ignored.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

2-0 to united !! Looks like the title race is back on

it on for chelski, but not for united.

united dont have a chance. arsenal will only lose another 2 games maximum, and then i cant see united going unbeaten for the rest of the season.

it definitly wasnt a peno, and whoever said it was is blind. however ronaldo should had a peno, then again ferdinand should of been off.

it was a little unfair since united had 12 players for the whole match, the ref being the extra man. its a sham allowing him ref at old trafford.

this does make the tittle race a little more interesting now though. a definite 2 horse race is on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

B-K-DzR wrote:
    Ronaldos was a penalty tho, no question at all. Cole wasnt even close.
    Fedinand may or may not have fouled Ljungberg but i dont think he had possesion anymore as he knocked it way too far ahead.

:D

sure neville played the ball into touch got tackled, and still got a free. the ref was pathetic, anyone could see that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

A good win for UTD, not sure they deserved it but they won it anyways. doubt its a revival tho, everyone thought when they beat Liverpool at Old Trafford they'd go on a run, didn't happen then. UTD play Portsmouth away next weekend, they need to win that and get a run going, i don't think they will win it, it'll be another draw for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

well as a neutral supporter I feel that arsenal have been hard done by.

Man U should have had a player sent of early in the first half for bringing down Freddy junberg, and you feel it would have been a different game then.

Also after watching this match I have nothing but utter contempt for van nistelroy. On Two occasions he very maliciously kicked people . Yes he did it slyly, and yes he got away with it, but this kind of unsportsman like conduct is appaling and he could have injured Ashley Cole when he stuck his studs into Cole's shin. Also the way he clipped the arsenal goal keeper was equally reprehensible. It wasn't as if it was a mistake or anything, both instances were pre-meditated acts of malice. He is nothing but a dirty cheat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

brilliant result, 6points in the bag.

1st half scrappy, great tackle by van nistelrooy on cole, equally ferdinand on ljunberg.

2nd half was passion at its highest, who says old trafford is library? penalty, who cares if there was minimal contact i dont give a dam, we got it and scored it. bang 1-0 revege is sweet.

arsenal huffed an puffed, 'big' players like henry, pires did nothing, typical when the pressures on. utd defended with heroics and limited arsenal to long range shots.

ronaldo's penalty was cast iron, should have been another penalty so all arsenal fans giving out about the 1st peno, please put a sock in it and behave more gracefully in defeat than your team who were hassling the ref constantly, even after the final whistle.

saha->smith->rooney (3 new players from last season's match) combined to finish the game off with style and from then on arsenal gave up were a great side would have played on, even if there was no chance of getting 2goals.

arsenal at full strength, utd without their captain and now we know how great arsenal REALLY are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Arsenal are a nasty team of bad losers.
    They play nice football but they are extremely cynical.
    Anytime someone attempts to beat them they cynically hack them down.
    Viera seemed to think he was the Referees assistant today.
    I seem to recall Lauren hacking down Darren Huckerby at Norwich earlier this season in a definite goalscoring opportunity much more clear cut than the Ferdinand incident today and he escaped.
    They lost to two fair goals today and should have finished with ten men vbut they somehow always feel aggrieved.
    Until they improve their conduct they will not be a great team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

smemon wrote:
    arsenal at full strength, utd without their captain and now we know how great arsenal REALLY are.

I don't know about that but what we do know is that there is not the gulf between the two teams that was suggested before this match.

BKDZR summed up the match perfectly IMO .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

After watching the replay a number of times on Sky, Rooney was being 'clever' going down after a defender puts his leg in his path in the penalty box and Campbell was being 'stupid' putting his leg infront of a player in the penalty box. Anybody who watched the game realtime from the referees position would be screaming PENALTY. Maybe not after watching the umpteeth camera angle! Good finish from RVN and what a suckerpunch by Rooney at the end :)

What was the Assistant Referee doing for either penalty shouts? He was in a better position for both of them.

I totally agree with Andy Gray on Sky about the penalty incidents

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

smemon wrote:
    brilliant result, 6points in the bag.

1st half scrappy, great tackle by van nistelrooy on cole, equally ferdinand on ljunberg.

2nd half was passion at its highest, who says old trafford is library? penalty, who cares if there was minimal contact i dont give a dam, we got it and scored it. bang 1-0 revege is sweet.

arsenal huffed an puffed, 'big' players like henry, pires did nothing, typical when the pressures on. utd defended with heroics and limited arsenal to long range shots.

ronaldo's penalty was cast iron, should have been another penalty so all arsenal fans giving out about the 1st peno, please put a sock in it and behave more gracefully in defeat than your team who were hassling the ref constantly, even after the final whistle.

saha->smith->rooney (3 new players from last season's match) combined to finish the game off with style and from then on arsenal gave up were a great side would have played on, even if there was no chance of getting 2goals.

really 6 points since when have the FA awared 6 points for big games

Great tackle by ruud lol!. They all come out of the woodwork now do they :(
    Ferdinand should have been off, but other than that he had a great game(he did leave in heny though) my man of the match closely followed by vieria and campbell.

Not a penalty, Campells reaction straight away told u that and that was even before mike "manchcester" riley pointed to the spot.

Whoever scored first would win it everything after the peno is immaterial tbh
    yea ronaldo's was a peno but it was immaterial at that stage

Henry and bergkamp played poorly. Arsenal need to be more ruthless

A draw would have been fair but thats football aint in

Utd will be a threat but im more concerned about chelsea tbh

The great run has come to an end but it was bound to happen sometime, pity they lost against 12 men rahter than 11, but as i said thats football

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Arsenal had one shot on target. They didn't deserve to win or get a draw for that matter.
      United were superior.
      Wenger is a sore loser.
      jank is a sore loser (12 men my arse, why wasn't Vieira sent off for persistant fouling?!).
      Ferdinand should not have been sent off as Ljungberg had lost control of the ball.
      United deserved one penalty regardless. They got one.
      United defence was solid, Rio deserved MOTM.
    Justice is done for last year boys!

End.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

united dont have a chance.
    10 games in and writing them off already. Jesus its a bit early not even bloody xmas yet! :rolleyes:
    arsenal will only lose another 2 games maximum, and then i cant see united going unbeaten for the rest of the season.
    Wish i had a crystal ball. The beuty about football is that it can be very unpredictable. Who says they need to go unbeaten? Man u's defence is looking quite sturdy atm tho (well more so than it was).
    really 6 points since when have the FA awared 6 points for big games
    You know well what he means. Either that or your a little dim witted and need to watch more football. If you wish ill explain it step by step and in detail for you (wont take long a its a very simple theory). As you can tell i hate smart arsed comments.
    They all come out of the woodwork now do they
    huh? wtf u talking about
    Not a penalty, Campells reaction straight away told u that and that was even before mike "manchcester" riley pointed to the spot.
    By that reckoning G Neville has never put a foot wrong in his life as he argues like that everytime a decesion goes against him.
    Henry and bergkamp played poorly. Arsenal need to be more ruthless
    Yer and its not the first time their better players have gone missing in a big game. That said Van the Man and Rooney disappeared for long sessions of the match. It was just that kind of game.
    A draw would have been fair but thats football aint in
    Agreed that a draw woulda been a fair result but since when has fotball been fair.
    pity they lost against 12 men rahter than 11

:rolleyes: Personally i think the ref had a decent enough game. He doesnt get the chance to see every incident from every angle and repeated 10 times. From his pov (as was shown by the cameras) it was a penalty, clear cut. For me it was a penalty as well tho rooney was looking for it. Doesnt mean it wasnt a foul tho.

Indeed Rio was my MotM

why wasn't Vieira sent off for persistant fouling?
    Exactly.
    Viera was foulling non stop .
    One point that is becoming obvious about Henry is his limitations against good defences.
    Against poor defences who give him space he is proficient but against tight fast defenders he is non existant .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Arsenal players moaning, Arsenal fans moaning. Had some Arsenal fan in my ear the whole game saying how United are cheats. Enjoyed that I must say, especially every time Vieira or Lauren was calling for bookings. All I can say is that Arsenal looked ordinary today. Their best player was Ashley Cole by a long way in my estimation.

Would all the Arsenal fans be crying if Toure had got that peno when he just jumped on the ground? I doubt it.

United deserved a penalty in that game, be it for the first or second incident.

The best club in England showed the Arsenal who is boss, and thats the way we like it.

One point that is becoming obvious about Henry is his limitations against good defences.
    Just goes to show why he never made it in Italy and why he has been very poor on the World Stage for France. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Draupnir wrote:
    The best club in England showed the Arsenal who is boss, and thats the way we like it.

I think the best club in England are the ones that have won the championship last year also Arsenal still went 49 games unbeaten I doubt united have ever managed even half that.

You lot are always the first to bitch and moan if Pires goes down at all, even if its a game that United are not involved in. You are still well behind us and will still be at the end of the season.

I believe Sir Alco gave Riley his Red Shirt after the match.......
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Best usually means champs right ;)

I know full well what six points mean but it means didley squat if utd draw or lose their next game and arsenal, chelsea win and lets face utd record against arsenal is very good but over the last year or 2 utd havent been able to put away the "lesser" teams and that is what makes champs. Everyone will agree with that.

Football has never been fair, that why we love it! :D

PS ill hold ye to that next time a decision goes against the reds ;)

on a side note its interesting that sky's reports are mostly revolved around rooney who played crap( apart from a tap in)
    The architect of the win my arse(which was rio)

That is all im going to say about the match today dont want to endlessly discuss whats past and be dragged into a flame war anyway i have to go jazzing :p

quick edit

http://195.8.171.32/vb_forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=135519

A team could go the whole season unbeaten and finish with 38 points.
    They could also score no goals yet remain unbeaten.
    If you finished with 38 points you would be relegated .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

LOL Utd defended well? If arse had a player capable of heading a ball it would have been 2-0 just after half time.

Crap game ,Arsenal could have tried to win the game just before the peno but seemed tos ettle for a draw fairly quickly. Utd were 2nd best int he 2nd half until the peno went in then they started to play with confidence. But still crap game :(

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

gandalf wrote:

Riley must have a fine collection of United shirts by now :rolleyes:

Run had to come to an end some time but the result means nothing as to which way the title is heading.

Because Arsenal will be angry at the way they lost they will just make sure of going on another run.

Ferdinand should have gone for that challenge too!

gandalf wrote:
    I think the best club in England are the ones that have won the championship last year also Arsenal still went 49 games unbeaten I doubt united have ever managed even half that.
    Read my sig please. :)
    gandalf wrote:
    You lot are always the first to bitch and moan if Pires goes down at all, even if its a game that United are not involved in. You are still well behind us and will still be at the end of the season.
    No we won't. :)
    gandalf wrote:
    What? His red Arsenal shirt? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

if anyone but you posted **** like that Gandalf you would be banning them straight away so I think maybe you should take it easy.

By the way, what Fergie said after the match was classic!

"when you get brought down in the penalty area it usually is a penalty I think", then a big smile more or less to say up yours Wenger you ****ing cunt! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Terrible game, very boring with no real good chances, if it wasn't for the fact that I'm a united fan I would have died from boredem, but because I am, WHAT A GAME :))))))

That was ****ing great :)

Ferdinand should have been sent off?
    For what exactly?
    Rad the rules,
    Lunberg had lost control of the ball first of all, and secondly it was a shoulder charge, are people contesting that it was a shoulder vs. shoulder event? Maybe I didn't see it right, but it seemed to me to be that he just pushed him off the ball :)

Rooney was looking for the peno, there is no question of it, does that change the fact it was a peno? No it doesn't.
    Rooney was tripped by Campbell, whethere he went down easily is immaterial.

Ronaldo was defo a peno, there was no question about it, yet do United moan about Mike "Arsenal" Riley, no, because thats stupid.
    Sorry but show me one instance in that game whether he was biased one way or another.

Vieria should have been booked about 3 times, before he eventually was.
    G. Neville got booked for one chalange, as did Neville, even though Reyes went down incredibly easily each time(which I think was for an injury he was carrying into the game, but thats beside the point)
    That was biased if you ask me, but hey, I'm biased :)

United defence was solid, whats this about decent headers scoring?
    United cleareed every cross that came into the box.
    Every through ball was stopped, except for one, which Caroll did very well for.

Arsenal had no real chances, and didn't deserve to win. United shut them out in every part of the pitch, and nobody on their team preformed, except maybe Ashely Cole.

Man Utd wanted the win, Arsenal didn't, they wanted the draw.
    Therefore I think they deserved to lose just on that fact.
    Rooney was ****, Ruud was ok, did what was important, scored the peno, which wasn't the easiest I'd imagine.

Smith looked realy good when he came on.
    I still think that hes possibly a replacement for Keane.
    He tracks back all the time, anticipates well, and is always where he needs to be.

Neither side controlled the game, both sides were poor, but we got the result.
    I'm very very happy.

Whether we win the premiership will depend on Chellsea things, A. Arsenals next match. If they lose or draw the next match I can see a run of draws happening. B. United needs to go on a winning run until christmas.
    They should be able to do it, theres no reason why they can't so lets see it.
    C. Chelsea have to stop being so damm solid.
    Arsenal are good, but they can, and have gone, on drawing runs.
    Chelsea look like they are gona win 1-0 every match, very worrying. After January when they buy an out and out striker, they will be amazing

Anyway, WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

L5 wrote:

he wouldnt have been intimidated had he not playacted to get vieira sent off. it seems there is validity in i think it was ray houghton or john giles said, arsenal will find it difficult to cope with teams like united who pass the ball round and not lose it when they are used to hammering bad teams who lose the ball like Villa and Charlton. chelsea and teams in europe are also included in that equation.

i think the midfield lost the battle today. Fabregas would have given Arsenal an extra dimension as he would have been nipping at some heels as he did in the charity shield game, similar to what phil neville done for man united

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Good win for United. Shame a cheat had a major influence on the game and its a shame that United supporters cannot just stand up and say he was a cheat..

The ref is one of the best in England yet when he goes to Old Trafford he might was well wear the Utd scarf. That was the 7th penalty awarded by him to United in the last 7 games he ref'd at Old Trafford. Stats cant be twisted to suit pretty much anything but that is just insane.

I am glad it didnt finish 1 nill as it would have meant a cheat was totally responsilble for the result. In the end the cheat scored a legit goal to take the result beyong petty arguments..

who says old trafford is library?

i think you'll find it was roy keane who accused his fans of not having enough passion some years back after a CL Game

Good win for United. Shame a cheat had a major influence on the game and its a shame that United supporters cannot just stand up and say he was a cheat..

The ref is one of the best in England yet when he goes to Old Trafford he might was well wear the Utd scarf. That was the 7th penalty awarded by him to United in the last 7 games he ref'd at Old Trafford. Stats cant be twisted to suit pretty much anything but that is just insane.

I am glad it didnt finish 1 nill as it would have meant a cheat was totally responsilble for the result. In the end the cheat scored a legit goal to take the result beyong petty arguments..
    Now say that without your ABU glasses on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

what did the ball boy do? I changed the station for a moment and when I changed it back, the camera was focused on the ball boy and Andy Gray said that he probably wont be invited back to old trafford again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

picked up the ball before it went out for a throw in

Good enough match man u where the better team on the day tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

what did the ball boy do? I changed the station for a moment and when I changed it back, the camera was focused on the ball boy and Andy Gray said that he probably wont be invited back to old trafford again.

He picked up the ball before it went out for the throw. Thats why it was a drop ball instead of a United throw in .

Match of the day 2 is just starting . ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement