Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cheap(er) lessons ??

Options
  • 24-10-2004 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭

This may be a long shot...

I'm going for lessons so that I can get a coach driving license. I've been looking around for prices and the going rate is fecking €70 PER HOUR

They said it’s normal to have a 2 hour lesson. Will that be enough for me to do the test with? I've over 3 & half years (75000 miles) driving experience with a van and car. I'm after the coach license (I think 'D' license) so that I'll be qualified to drive Fire engines, I'm assuming it’s the 'D' license I need

BTW, North Dublin preferable

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think I'd phone the fire brigade and check the licence requirments first!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

ando wrote:
    This may be a long shot...

I'm going for lessons so that I can get a coach driving license. I've been looking around for prices and the going rate is fecking €70 PER HOUR

They said it’s normal to have a 2 hour lesson. Will that be enough for me to do the test with? I've over 3 & half years (75000 miles) driving experience with a van and car. I'm after the coach license (I think 'D' license) so that I'll be qualified to drive Fire engines, I'm assuming it’s the 'D' license I need

BTW, North Dublin preferable

Why do you assume a coach licence covers you for a fire engine? I would have thought a fire engine would be classified as a truck. Actually thinking about it a fire engine carries a large number of people so I suppose it could be classified as either or both.

If you are in the fire service wouldn't they know the details? My uncle used to be a chief in the fire service and I am sure he mentioned that they do their own driver training.
    Also I am pretty sure being able to drive is not a requirement for recruits either, most qualified firemen do not drive, there will only be a few per crew who drive the truck.

2 hours! Have you ever driven something that size before?

Unless you have experience driving a large truck (transit sized van really does not count) it will take a lot more than two hours, I would count on 20 hours+.

When I went for my class D I took about 10 2 hour lessons to get to a stage where I was confident of passing, I could have probably passed with a lesson or two less but I preferred making sure. The instructor reckoned I picked it up quicker than most as well, so expecting to pass after a quick spin is unrealistic.

€70 an hour sounds about what I'd expect, a full size coach is not a cheap thing to buy run and insure.

Advertisement